Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Setup - Pics

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I got my new RCBS Chargemaster 1500 this week. It was a purchase I cant really afford, but sure aren't they all!

It prompted me to take a couple of pics of my reloading station. I pretty much have it how I want it. There are a lot of bits and pieces you cant see. I have a nice set of Frankford arsenal funnels, spare scales and a couple of competition dies sets...

http://s756.beta.photobucket.com/user/Dan_Delargy/library/Reloading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

nice set up there dan

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Well slap me sideways if this isnt the lousyest thread I ever read. You know the majority of us on here cant reload.... bollix ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Have you got a chance to try out the chargemaster?
    Would love to hear how consistent it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

dev110 wrote: »
    Have you got a chance to try out the chargemaster?
    Would love to hear how consistent it is.

Not yet. I'll compare the first dozen or so loads against my balance beam scales. I have electronic scales which are grand- but I wouldnt use them for target work. 100% for foxing loads, and a lot faster than the beam. This should speed me up that bit more.

Is there a reason why you choose the balance beam scales or the electronic for target/accurate loads?

I use, along with most if not everyone shooting F-Class, an electronic scales and usually trickle in the last few grains to get the most consistency.

• Advertisement

dev110 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you choose the balance beam scales or the electronic for target/accurate loads?

I use, along with most if not everyone shooting F-Class, an electronic scales and usually trickle in the last few grains to get the most consistency.

Well the electronic scales I have are pretty decent.
    They were Frankford arsenal and are made for reloading, but they dont always fully agree with the beam scales. And I'm pretty certain the beam is right... Maybe I'm old fashioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Here's the Bonanza Coax press, great for accurate reloading as the die floats in the head and aligns with the case. Changing dies is a snap. It has a universal shell holder and lots of power. I use the RCBS Range Master. If you want an electronic scale thats accurate, stabilizes fast and stays calibrated, thats the one. (It matched the balance scale on the nose in tests.) The L.E. Wilson trimmer usually sits in a vice at the end of the bench, but I put it in the shot because its an outstanding tool, fast and precise. I have an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, & added a baffle and micrometer dial. The baffle made a big improvement in throwing consistent powder charges, that along with using a consistent motion. But for all rifle reloading I weigh every charge, trickling powder into the Range Master.

2rfymia.jpg

Here's the Dillon 550 progressive used for .45 ACP, 9mm & .38 Spec. Next to it is the Rockchucker I have had for 28 years. Its used for .44 Mag, .45 Colt, & small rifle calibers. Glensman chose well on his press, you'll never go wrong with Rockchucker. RCBS makes excellent stuff, and they stand behind them, often replacing a broken component at no charge. I noticed Glensman has the RCBS priming tool. I used to use the Lee Autoprime, similar in type. But its going to give me arthritis, so for large rifle I switched to the priming device atop the Coax Press, lots of force and you have excellent "feel" for the firm seat. Keep the faith, the F-Class folks are on the right track. Someday the very safe and accuracy enhancing practice will be allowed in ROI.

mscegg.jpg

I do like the RCBS stuff.
    When I started I bought the Supreme Master II kit, and then just added bits and pieces to it. I'm sure there are other good brands, but I haven't tried them!

One thing I would say is- I think the Redding Competition Dies are worth the money- I would get a set for the .223 only I might sell the rifle in the spring. I have them for the .204 and the .270 and they're a joy to use and don't work the brass at all.

@EWQuinn
    What's it like loading for pistols?
    Is it the same as a rifle where you keep tweaking your load until you hit a sweet spot or is it a one load for every pistol?

@Glensman
    +1 on the Redding dies. I have the Redding competition dies and they are brilliant to work with. I had a set of Lee Deluxe Dies and while they did their job well you always had to check to make sure the neck tension was right. Also the Micrometer head on the Redding seating die makes things even easier as you can see the adjustments you are making instead of a little turn there, another little turn and always checking OAL.
    Definitely worth the money.

+2 on the Redding die sets. I use several brands, and Redding are excellent quality. I use the Redding competition bushing sizer dies for some rifles, helps get & keep the correct neck tension. Here is a nice short vid from Sinclair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNAlnkwjZ8

dev110, principle is the same for reloading handgun. In the well established calibers I reload, all have tried and true loads for various powder/bullet combinations. For me its about finding the most accurate powder for my pistol, and then narrowing on an accurate load for 25yd is not as time consuming. (Some pistol powders are cleaner than others, can be a factor too.) For those with a single shot TC Contender, or maybe a precision bullseye gun, the process would be more like rifle reloading I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

What's the mirror for?
    My reloading setup is more or less the same, but I only use a balance beam right now, I enjoy the zen aspect of weighing each charge.

I currently reload 455 Webley and 450 Adams with hand cast bullets, I used old wheel balancing weights melted down!

I have since bought some 303 dies and will have to get up to speed on that as I have about 3000 once fired cases to reload.

"I have about 3000 once fired cases to reload"

Harmoniums, assume those are boxer with std die set? The mirror could be quality control measure, I was thinking there could be some advantage to that. Just don't break the mirror, its bad for accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

EWQuinn wrote: »
    "I have about 3000 once fired cases to reload"

Harmoniums, assume those are boxer with std die set? The mirror could be quality control measure, I was thinking there could be some advantage to that. Just don't break the mirror, its bad for accuracy.

The 303 is a mixture of old boxer primed kynoch and modern privi partisan.
    I'm going to the gun show here in Costa Mesa today, so I'll be on the look out for some 311-312 projectiles.

Also I heard the Glensman uses the mirror to snort red dot powder, he's a fairly hard nosed man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Here's the Bonanza Coax press, great for accurate reloading as the die floats in the head and aligns with the case. Changing dies is a snap. It has a universal shell holder and lots of power. I use the RCBS Range Master. If you want an electronic scale thats accurate, stabilizes fast and stays calibrated, thats the one. (It matched the balance scale on the nose in tests.) The L.E. Wilson trimmer usually sits in a vice at the end of the bench, but I put it in the shot because its an outstanding tool, fast and precise. I have an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, & added a baffle and micrometer dial. The baffle made a big improvement in throwing consistent powder charges, that along with using a consistent motion. But for all rifle reloading I weigh every charge, trickling powder into the Range Master.

2rfymia.jpg

Here's the Dillon 550 progressive used for .45 ACP, 9mm & .38 Spec. Next to it is the Rockchucker I have had for 28 years. Its used for .44 Mag, .45 Colt, & small rifle calibers. Glensman chose well on his press, you'll never go wrong with Rockchucker. RCBS makes excellent stuff, and they stand behind them, often replacing a broken component at no charge. I noticed Glensman has the RCBS priming tool. I used to use the Lee Autoprime, similar in type. But its going to give me arthritis, so for large rifle I switched to the priming device atop the Coax Press, lots of force and you have excellent "feel" for the firm seat. Keep the faith, the F-Class folks are on the right track. Someday the very safe and accuracy enhancing practice will be allowed in ROI.

mscegg.jpg

Nice 550. I'm looking at either a 550 or 650
    For 45acp and 9x19. Between both I'm expecting to be reloading 1000/month. Do you think not having auto index on the 550 is much of a disadvantage?

For 1000 per month not in my opinion, assuming your reloading time is not limited to one day. With the 550 if you push it you can get a rate of 500 and more per hour. I go at a very modest pace to ensure good quality control. If you make a mistake, the 550 is more forgiving and allows you to reset easier. Concentration without any distractions is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

nice set up. looks expensive. are ya selling them streeechy springs for developing yar chest muscles

welsummer wrote: »
    nice set up. looks expensive. are ya selling them streeechy springs for developing yar chest muscles

Mr Welsummer from Dublin, expensive indeed, but if acquired over a period of about 28 years not so bad. (I don't golf, gamble, ski, sail, take drugs or hang glide.) Is reloading worth it? For a frequent shooter I say yes.

Very observant on the springs. I was wondering if someone would mention that. The setup calls for one spring. I have two powder hoppers each with a spring, but neither one (both older) alone would operate that hopper with total reliability. So being lazy, and not wanting to order another spring, I just decided to double up and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in UK I reload three different .308Win, two different 7x57, two different 7.5x55, one 6.5 and two different .357Mag, and have done for the last forty something years. Back when, before the gun grab in '88, I also loaded three other centre-fire rifle calibres, and before the last gun-grab in '98, eleven different calibres for a large variety of handguns. I used to enjoy handgun comps - IPSC and police pistol, and used to get through between 500 and, in a comp weekend, 800 rounds of .38Spec and .45ACP a week. Four of us shared the might Dillon ammunition maker.

I last actually bought ANY centre-fire ammunition in 1998, when I overshot my quota for a comp at Bisley after a klutz trod on my rifle and I had to re-zero it. HE paid for me to buy twenty rounds of Lapua 167gr Match .308 - THAT cost me almost as much as 55 rounds of my home-loaded version, and was proof, if ever it was needed, that home-loading is not only a cost-effective way of getting more shooting for less money, but pretty satisfying in the process.

tac

Advertisement