Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have a question about external hard drives. Which brands are most reliable? I've been looking at Samsung, Western Digital and Buffalo 1TB-2TB drives but I'm unsure which brands are best to avoid. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Wouldn't save anything on them that is irreplaceable, need copies of important files saved elsewhere too.

Make sure there's a 3 year warranty with whatever you buy, they only will replace the drive not pay to get any data lost back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Wouldn't save anything on them that is irreplaceable, need copies of important files saved elsewhere too.

Make sure there's a 3 year warranty with whatever you buy, they only will replace the drive not pay to get any data lost back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It's pretty much a throw between Western Digital and Seagate these days (Samsung, hitachi, Maxtor are all Seagate now). I'd reccomend Western digital, but tbh most hard disks these days are relyable. You could get a WD one that fails after a week if your unlucky, same goes for any brand!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

1tb - 2tb are more reliable than the 3tb ones - i prefer WD myself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Firblog wrote: »

I plan on mainly using it for back-ups so if any of my main hard drives fail, I'll still have the important stuff on the external drive.

Western Digital seem to be the popular choice here so I'll go for them.

Thanks again, everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Would really appreciate some help with picking an external hard drive.

Basically I'm looking for one that is:

1.) High quality.

2.) 500GB or 1TB.

3.) Under €150.

4.) Compatible with a PS3.

Been looking on different sites for one but I have no idea on what would be the best one to choose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would really appreciate some help with picking an external hard drive.

Basically I'm looking for one that is:

1.) High quality.

2.) 500GB or 1TB.

3.) Under €150.

4.) Compatible with a PS3.

Been looking on different sites for one but I have no idea on what would be the best one to choose.

Are you looking for a desktop one (requires wall plug) or portable (usb powered)?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

I like SEAGATE drives.

Western Digital is also a good brand. I have a few of those around and they are very reliable as well.

yoyo wrote: »

Are you looking for a desktop one (requires wall plug) or portable (usb powered)?

Nick

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't really matter, but portable one would be a better option for me.

carter2 wrote: »
    I like SEAGATE drives.

Western Digital is also a good brand. I have a few of those around and they are very reliable as well.

Thats the two brands I'm looking at.

I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital Passport 1TB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement