Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tissot Visodate Automatic - Review

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

tissot_visodate.jpg

The Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage Automatic is a vintage style dress watch from Tissot. At 40mm it's quite substantial. It uses the ever reliable ETA 2824 automatic movement and sapphire crystal.

This cost €400 which is a good price considering it's £385 online in a lot of places.

There is no lume or Anti-Reflective coating on this which is in-keeping with it's style.
    3EADA774-53C0-422B-86B3-FA2517A56C6C-8883-00000649E4167D78_zps51ec6784.jpg

2F3FAAFC-FB0E-4AFF-A5D9-ADC80F709FBD-8883-00000649D404D1C6_zps4750661a.jpg

05E5E978-B0DE-430D-9C3E-4E23C4DE0193-8883-00000649BC1D1267_zps258ce373.jpg

B740D5BB-D997-4A6C-A98B-331221173C40-8883-00000649B502CC5F_zpsdfabc316.jpg

It has a display back and a brown leather deployment strap. The strap is pretty bad, it's thin and will probably be replaced.

I loved this when I got it first but I'm considering flipping it. I don't know if I will get much wear from it and I might get more use from a more all-purpose watch.

It's gaining about 20s per 24hrs which is ok for a basic 2824, but I'm a but disappointed they didn't regulate it a bit better.

Overall, I'm undecided.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

very classy watch - it looks completely different in the wrist shot compared to just on the table (much nicer imho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I had heard the strap was a bit average. Nice review & Pics.

I've always thought of this one as a classic style watch with some very nice touches that connects well back to the era it represents. Also represents very good value for money as something of a workhorse formal wear watch - not too flashy, not too expensive, great reliability and longevity.

That said, I wonder if it achieves enough to make it a truly special watch. Dress watches are kind of supposed to be a bit 'ooh and aaah' so to speak. It might just be a litte bit to 'everywatch' for its own good in that category.

There is also something about the proportions that make it not quite right to my eyes, if I was being very, very fussy (a watch of this style which harks back to the '50's/'60's should I think be considerably smaller in diameter and I'm not sure the enhanced size of this one - made to reflect modern trends - works).

The last observation is being extremely fussy though - its still a very lovely watch.

Nonoperational - if you don't have much call for a dress watch I can see where you're coming from. Its still a great one to have for the odd formal occasion and, I think, represents definitely the best value in the category.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yes, I agree with what you say. There is always discussion about it's size. I suppose being a bit bigger does make it more versatile. You could wear it with a pair of jeans and a shirt without it looking out of place. The thing is I have 2/3 watches that are more suitable for this.

In reality it's not a truly special watch of any description. I think it's good value for a mainstream brand. You'd get something like a sea-gull for half the price though, or in the flavour of the month brand Steinhart you'd get something for a similar price.

I'm going to keep it a while and see. I don't know how easy it would be to get €375 for it now and there's no point loosing too much on it.

Unfortunately something special comes at a price! Like this... Maybe that's why we have two kidneys? To sell one to buy watches like this....

iwc_ingenieur_laureus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭893bet

Did you sell this in the end?

Advertisement