Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a handmade Irish hardwood chopping board?

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Would you buy a handmade Irish hardwood chopping board,ranging in price from €30-€100?

Would you buy a handmade Irish chopping board, ranging in price from €30-€100? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

That's a fairly wide price range for a chopping board.

Personally, it's too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I did! Nice bit of wood it was too. They had a decent range of said items for sale in The House of Fraser in the Dundrum Town Centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bizzyb, why exactly do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Faith wrote: »
    bizzyb, why exactly do you ask?

Hi Faith,

I am a wood machinist and i have been unemployed for quiet some time now and i am hoping to start a small craft business making top quality chopping boards and hopefully develop more products like cheese,bread boards, serving platters etc. At least here i am asking the right people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

bizzyb wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

I am a wood machinist and i have been unemployed for quiet some time now and i am hoping to start a small craft business making top quality chopping boards and hopefully develop more products like cheese,bread boards, serving platters etc. At least here i am asking the right people!

Good luck to you bizzyb, I hope its a success for you. I already have a similar product to what you are offering, I was given it as a gift by the guy who made my kitchen, beautiful piece it is. I would gladly have paid around 50E for it. Lately however I've found myself mostly using the soft bendy plastic ones that come in packs of 6 to prevent cross contamination, I wonder are more people doing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Bizzyb - there are quite a few people doing this already, I get why - low labour, high resale, it's a great "product", but I don't know if the market has been satisfied.

High quality wooden spoons and spatulas, that's something related I'd pay for, it's pretty much impossible to find them in Ireland, at least I find so, and I can't stand the normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I love the wooden salad bowls with a big spoon to toss it.
    Would also love a really decent cheese board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I bought one of these from the states a few years ago .If I could have gotten it here I would have.I was more then happy to pay for something like this.Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Here is his web shop.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/1337motif
    il_fullxfull140762573.jpg

Thank's for all the feedback guys i really appreciate it.
    I know there are are a few doing this already, bunburyboards being one example of a sucess story. In order to be different i intend on making end grain chopping boards,you can create beautiful patterns with this type board, plus your knives dont blunt as quick on an end grain board compared to a straight grain board.

damagegt wrote: »
    I bought one of these from the states a few years ago .If I could have gotten it here I would have.Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Here is his web shop.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/1337motif
    il_fullxfull140762573.jpg

Yes this is a great example of an end grain chopping board!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Ya I love my board and would buy another one in the morning if something happened this one.Im currently trying to make an end grain table from all the bits i have laying about.If It turns out half as good as these ill be delighted.Best of luck with yours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bizzyb wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

Thanks bizzyb. Market research is generally prohibited on boards.ie. You've gotten a few answers and I hope they're helpful, but I will have to lock the thread now.

Best of luck with it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement