Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to wake up ?

• 22-11-2012 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) After hours some help needed :)

My nephew started his new job three weeks ago,He is in at seven so would get up at five thirty as he lives some distance from his workplace,Anyway he just seems to sleep through any alarm that he sets,Radio,phone,clocks, Only for his mother he would sleep right through till twelve,Anyone any genuine good tips to awake the Man at his chosen time ;) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blowjob.

Probably not appropriate here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

seamus wrote: »
    Blowjob.

They're even more startling when you live alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

A ride and a rasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

seamus wrote: »
    Blowjob.

Damn you! I wanted to say that!

Drink a load of water before going to bed he will be up half the night nipping to the toilet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Maybe he needs to get to bed earlier. It's a brutal time to be up at so he'd really need to be getting to sleep at around 10.30-11pm each night. He's only 3 weeks into the job so it may take a while for his body to get into a rhythm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Best way to wake up is with a young wan lying beside you and sparking a j for a wake and bake.

dunno if that would help anyone getting to work tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

This. An alarm clock for deaf people....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/16/alarm-clock-deaf-people

I suspect it's more likely that your nephew just doesn't want to get up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Get one of these wake up lights from Phillips: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HF3470-Light-Display-Digital/dp/B003M2WWPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353619054&sr=8-3

It'll do the trick no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Phone alarm in a saucepan far end of the room!

*I also had planned on saying blowjob! Basturds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ur nephew needs to go to bed earlier. To wake up at 5am, he should go to bed at 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The Alarm Cock is the hilarious and sexy way to wake up your significant other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Tell him to go to bed at an appropriate time, and then the alarm will wake him after X hours sleep. 0530 isn't really a ridiculous hour to be waking up at; it's not like he has to reschedule his bodyclock in a big way!

My advice is to leave him at it, let him work it out on his own. Part of having a job is taking on the responsibility of actually getting there on time. Can't do everything for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

He just needs to sort his feckin priorities out. When I need to be up at whatever time I need to be up at, the alarm goes off and I get up straight away.

No need for gucci systems, getting sacked should be motivation enough for people nowadays.

Otherwise, there are some cool gadgety alarm clocks out there. Here are some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Two or three alarm clocks-

All left well away from bed. Also another thing you can do is attach a phone to 500 watt stereo with an aux cable and turn the volume up full. won't be long getting out of the bed.

Or simply hire him a hooker every night and ask the hooker to wake him up at 5AM with a morning blow job. That would probably work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

get him one of these snuzNluz
    Connects via WiFi to your online bank account, and donates YOUR real money to an organization you HATE when you decide to snooze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

benwavner wrote: »
    He just needs to sort his feckin priorities out. When I need to be up at whatever time I need to be up at, the alarm goes off and I get up straight away.

I'm not sure everyone finds it so easy. It can be a sign of something wrong with your health if you find it really hard to get up or sleep in the first place.

Get an alarm clock that throws something at your head when it goes off

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Tell him to set his radio for 5.00, but put it on the opposite side of the room. Set his phone alarm for 5.10 to one of the noisy annoying alarms. This may or may not help get him up for 5.30, it's hit or miss with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Piss off the israelis, sure fire way to get a wake up call.

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm not sure everyone finds it so easy. It can be a sign of something wrong with your health if you find it really hard to get up or sleep in the first place.

(Not strictly speaking about the OP's family member)

I dont find it easy. I want to smash the clock / phone whatever off the wall. There are times where I would be going to bed at 0200 and up at 0500 etc etc. No matter how tired, sick or unmotivated I am, if I have to be up...I have to be up. Its as simple as that.......for all of us.

That's all there is to it. If there is a health issue then don't accept the type of job that you have to get up early and travel a long distance for. They will replace you with someone who will turn up.

Then again if it's his first job, he will get used to it as the weeks go on. Maybe try leaving the curtains and window open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

realies wrote: »
    Only for his mother he would sleep right through till twelve..

And that's the problem. Maybe if his balls dropped and he stopped relying on his mammy, that might be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I can loan him my boyfriend...best way to wake up in the morning with his arms wrapped around me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Well I have always had trouble with sleep/waking up.
    I need meds for it.
    But in saying that, regardless of the reason, it is his responsibility to be waking himself up - if he doesn't wake up, he loses his job - that's a real world consequence he has to learn.
    If there is something up with his sleep, again that's up to him to sort out.
    Jesus, I actually can't believe that you, his mother, or anyone would be waking him up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Vivok

I can empathize.. I find it very hard to wake no matter how much sleep I'd get. Have always been like this. I think it's because I'm a heavy sleeper... I've slept through the house alarm going off...more than once. My solution... Set the alarm to go off an hour and half before I need to get up... The first hour I've no memory of pressing snooze... Eventually I wake. Annoys the cr"p out my other half though!

Then again if it's his first job, he will get used to it as the weeks go on. Maybe try leaving the curtains and window open?

If it's his first job it could well be a lack of discipline, it won't be bright very early this time of year though.

Personally, if I wasn't asleep at 2am and I had to be in work by 5am I wouldn't bother going to bed at all.

If it was a health issue you might not know until you got it checked out. If it's serious enough to be asking relatives for advice it might be that. I used to be tired all the time, found it impossible to get up on time, turned out to be my pancreas that was lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 horticulturist

He needs to develop the will power to throw himself out of bed in the morning.

As soon as he wakes up (unless he can afford a lie in) he should get up immediately and splash his face with cold water, this works a treat.

Just hook up a timer to a mains powered 25cm diamater firebell!

If it's his first job it could well be a lack of discipline, it won't be bright very early this time of year though.

Lack of discipline was my point alright. True, it would be dark but maybe with the window open, some external noises may help wake him. It will certaintly keep part of his mind active while he is asleep.
    Personally, if I wasn't asleep at 2am and I had to be in work by 5am I wouldn't bother going to bed at all.

Yeah as a once off you would get away with it. But not over the course of a few weeks / months. You are not pretty at the end of it. :pac:
    If it was a health issue you might not know until you got it checked out. If it's serious enough to be asking relatives for advice it might be that. I used to be tired all the time, found it impossible to get up on time, turned out to be my pancreas that was lazy.

Damn lazy pancreas....hope all is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I can loan him my boyfriend...best way to wake up in the morning with his arms wrapped around me :D
    Would the three of ye fit in the bed though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

To the smell of napalm in the morning. I love it.

Yeah as a once off you would get away with it. But not over the course of a few weeks / months. You are not pretty at the end of it. :pac:

Doesn't work great if repeated :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Naturally without the aid of an alarm with the boyfriend beside me!

Haven't had a lie in with him in about 6 months with all my early starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Old fashioned wind up alarm clock with two bells on top in a metal bucket at the other end of the room. No one could sleep through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

With electric shocks sending your spine into spasms...mmm morningey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Best solution.......Get him to find his own place to live and after about a week of being late because his mother didn't wake him, he'll either know how to wake up on his own or he'll get the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ur nephew needs to go to bed earlier. To wake up at 5am, he should go to bed at 10pm.
    Not possible to sleep that early for some of us!
    I never sleep before 2 and used to be up at half 3 for work some mornings.
    There is no solution... I sometimes sleep through alarms, phone calls etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Pre-work milking.

Sorts a boy out proper, that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Abi wrote: »
    Pre-work milking.

Sorts a boy out proper, that.
    If you're offering I'll give anything a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Not the best way to wake up but when your morning hard on is bobbing under the blanket and the cat attacks it you'll jump out of bed pretty fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Pottler wrote: »
    Would the three of ye fit in the bed though?

Sure! If yer man has a big enough bed. Although there's a lot to be said for a tight squeeze ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

CJC999 wrote: »
    Old fashioned wind up alarm clock with two bells on top in a metal bucket at the other end of the room. No one could sleep through it.

Yea, and balance the bucket precariously over the edge of a table so that the clock will tip it over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

alarm clock connected to pc speakers with volume set to high.... do it once... more than once and your neighbors may kill you....

Advertisement