Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Nike GPS running app uses data

• 22-11-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Just wondering as I'm abroad at the moment and have mobile data switched off to save the pennies, yet noticed the app tracked the exact route I ran ?

I presume the GPS on the phone is using the 3G connection to do it ? But will this run up a bill

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Well if Data is off data is off :) Especially if data roaming is off. It would track it by GPS, much more precise than network tracking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It uses GPS which is free, but to see it overlayed on a map, it needs data. So in theory it should still work without data connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kceire wrote: »
    It uses GPS which is free, but to see it overlayed on a map, it needs data. So in theory it should still work without data connection.

Thanks - in which case i probably only saw the map because I checked it when I'd got home & have wifi there. I was just concerned that it was bypassing the mobile datate 'off' setting. Thinking about it, if I check the data useage before & after, prior to getting to wifi, that should confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the mobile data on/off toggle is system wide and not controlled by any single app and thus cannot be overridden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've used it plenty of times abroad and it only used GPS,

Maps fill in when online again so no issues.

I long for the day when these data issues when travelling are a thing of the past. People will need to be online all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »
    I long for the day when these data issues when travelling are a thing of the past. People will need to be online all the time!

i actually like it, it forces me offline when i'm on holidays. if i had data for same price as home when i'm away i'd be constantly checking my mails and wouldn't have the willpower to turn it off, roaming data forces me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

i actually like it, it forces me offline when i'm on holidays. if i had data for same price as home when i'm away i'd be constantly checking my mails and wouldn't have the willpower to turn it off, roaming data forces me :pac:

Well that's different, I would just switch my work mail off on mobile device to sort that.

It would be nice when abroad though to easily access maps etc

Advertisement