Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bussing it from SF to LA?

Options
  • 22-11-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Planning on a California holiday with my OH in the near future and gathering any info I can get to make it a perfect, personal trip!

We want to fly into LA and out of SF (or vice versa) and travel over a few days between the two, I wouldnt be comfortable driving and my OH cant drive so we would probably bus it, but we would like to stop along the way in nice places - little b&bs and the like, really see the coast.

Is it possible to do this by bus? All I can find so far is a 7 hour straight trip, or a 'tour' which we wouldnt like, anyone have any advice or tips?

Dee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Have used this one 2 years ago , found them quite good.
    http://www.cashuttlebus.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Can you hop off and on that service?? Does the one ticket do you?

It just looks like a straight service to me? I think it only goes via route 5 anyway, we wanted a coastal trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I understand being intimidated about driving in a foreign country and on the other side of the road... But...

It really is Easy to drive in the USA. Its a completely different driving environment to europe. They really do drive slowly and really badly too.

Which means if you drive slowly and badly and make lots of mistakes, you fit right in rather than standing out so its very low stress.

And if you've driven in Dublin you'll be well able for anything that the USA can throw at you. There's none of the frantic speeding that there is in ireland.

My 80 year old mum came to stay with us in California and had no trouble adapting! If its that memory of walking around Paris and being nearly killed by the crazy drivers its not like that at all.

But I wont push it...

:)

The problem with the bus is that it wont take the (spectacular) coast road Highway One from LA to SF. It'll go inland on the freeway.

There's the train as well which is fun (it also takes the inland route after santa barbara):

http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

IMO there's no point in visiting LA without a car. It's not like cities we're used to, there's no centre.

As other have said, to enjoy the coastal drive you really need to have a car. It's not a difficult drive at all, all you need is a sat nav and a good idea of the rules of the road eg turning right on red, absolute stop at stop signs.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    IMO there's no point in visiting LA without a car. It's not like cities we're used to, there's no centre.

Good point. I was bemoaning you getting from LA to SF without a car.

But you'll have a really abbreviated experience of LA without a car too.

I really agree with athtrasna, its almost pointless. The busses in LA are for homeless people and drunks who cant drive too. Not fun.

Advertisement