Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth promotion

Options
  • 22-11-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

I'm just watching the Liverpool game after watching our match in Lazio and something has struck me...

Last year when we beat Liverpool in the NextGen tournament (which we were later disqualified for) Liverpool had Wisdom, Flanagan, Suso and Sterling playing.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/nextgen-spurs-v-liverpool-01022012.page

Since then, all those four players have had a good run out in Liverpool's first team, whether it be in League, League Cup or Europa Cup.

From that same match, we have had ZERO players promoted to the first team. Considering our youth team beat that 'star studded' Liverpool team 1-0, surely our youth players are as good as/better than them.

I don't like to complain about the club we love so much, but surely the likes of Pritchard, Coulthirst, Ceballos, Coulibaly and Veljkovic could help increase the strength in our seemingly bare squad*?

*By 'bare squad' I mean the fact we only have two recognised strikers (is Dempsey a striker too?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'm just watching the Liverpool game after watching our match in Lazio and something has struck me...

Last year when we beat Liverpool in the NextGen tournament (which we were later disqualified for) Liverpool had Wisdom, Flanagan, Suso and Sterling playing.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/nextgen-spurs-v-liverpool-01022012.page

Since then, all those four players have had a good run out in Liverpool's first team, whether it be in League, League Cup or Europa Cup.

From that same match, we have had ZERO players promoted to the first team. Considering our youth team beat that 'star studded' Liverpool team 1-0, surely our youth players are as good as/better than them.

I don't like to complain about the club we love so much, but surely the likes of Pritchard, Coulthirst, Ceballos, Coulibaly and Veljkovic could help increase the strength in our seemingly bare squad*?

*By 'bare squad' I mean the fact we only have two recognised strikers (is Dempsey a striker too?).

But are they good enough? I'd like to think if they were, we'd have seen 1 or 2 by now. In saying all that, Liverpool were kinda forced to involve the young lads with what happened with Rodgers in the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But are they good enough? I'd like to think if they were, we'd have seen 1 or 2 by now. In saying all that, Liverpool were kinda forced to involve the young lads with what happened with Rodgers in the transfer market.

Yeah, but similarly, look at how AVB was left. Only two recognised strikers and light for creativity in midfield when Dembele was injured.

All I'm saying is, Wisdom, Flanagan, Suso and Sterling all played in that match - and all have proven that they could handle the step up to Premier League football.

Now we're hearing reports (I don't believe everything I read in the paper, but often times there's no smoke without fire) that Barcelona and Real Madrid are looking at Pritchard and Coulthirst - yet neither has even made our bench.

I'd just like to see guys rewarded when playing well at under-age. Also, I'm not saying it's AVB's fault at all, it just seems that there's a culture in White Hart Lane of 'get them to 18/19 and then ship them out on loan'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

it just seems that there's a culture in White Hart Lane of 'get them to 18/19 and then ship them out on loan'.

It has worked well at times though. Caulker and Walker being two perfect examples.

Yeah, but similarly, look at how AVB was left. Only two recognised strikers and light for creativity in midfield when Dembele was injured.

All I'm saying is, Wisdom, Flanagan, Suso and Sterling all played in that match - and all have proven that they could handle the step up to Premier League football.

Now we're hearing reports (I don't believe everything I read in the paper, but often times there's no smoke without fire) that Barcelona and Real Madrid are looking at Pritchard and Coulthirst - yet neither has even made our bench.

I'd just like to see guys rewarded when playing well at under-age. Also, I'm not saying it's AVB's fault at all, it just seems that there's a culture in White Hart Lane of 'get them to 18/19 and then ship them out on loan'.

I'm not disagreeing mate, all I'm saying is are they good enough. Remember Rodgers wanted both Sig and Dempsey, if they had got both, you probably wouldn't have seen as much of the kids as you have.

Your right when you say if they are doing so well for the 21s or next gen side, we should involve them. I'd love to see them on the bench and make the odd appearence.Although there hasn't been very many lads at WHL that have had to leave and then ended up blossoming elsewhere, so maybe we are doing something right, and maybe it's just a case that the kids aren't good enough. You'd like to think though with the next gen side doing so well, that one or two of them would make the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Big clubs use this policy, certainly United do and they consistenly have the best calibre of young players in ther EPL, Wellbeck and Cleverly being the latest.

There's a good article here on how the system works, very progressive for a youngster learning his trade i.e. Caulker, Walker.. http://windycoys.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/tim-sherwood-on-our-use-of-loan-system.html

It's likely that Kane was the only striker that had progressed to this level and AVB had a good look at him in preseason but decided that a season on loan at a lower EPL team was the best option for him. Shame he's been injured for most of it.

• Advertisement

Kevin Stewart

Advertisement