Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant Account

Options
  • 23-11-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just found my old Post Office Savings Book which had the last transaction in 1975. I opened the account at the age of nine and at one stage the balance stood at the grand sum of £72.70 which wasn’t bad for the year 1973. However, times got harder and two years later the final balance was £7.70.

This is now a dormant account and probably not worth bothering with. However, I am intrigued by the question of how much interest you would accumulate on £7.70 in a Post Office account since 1975. Can anyone work it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I suspect you would be lucky to have 30 euro in it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Temp Barry

I had £20 in an AIB account in 1973, which was forgotten about for years. When I discovered it again in the early 1990s, (as far as I remember) interest had increased the balance to a few pence over £40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

solas111 wrote: »
    This is now a dormant account and probably not worth bothering with. However, I am intrigued by the question of how much interest you would accumulate on £7.70 in a Post Office account since 1975. Can anyone work it out?

All depends on the State Savings product.

Is it in a notice or instant access account? The instant access rate is currently 1% with State Savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Fungus wrote: »
    All depends on the State Savings product.

Is it in a notice or instant access account? The instant access rate is currently 1% with State Savings.

The book says that 2.5% interest will be added at the end of each year so a rough calculation brings the figure with compound interest to £18.73 or about €23.78.

Ah well, the Lotto might come up with six numbers tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

2.50% is probably an old rate, the current instant access rate, with State Savings is 1.00%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement