Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irishman gets jail for sex with woman in Dubai taxi.

• 23-11-2012 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

"AN OFFALY man accused of having sex with his girlfriend in a Dubai taxi has been sent to jail for three months.

Conor McRedmond (28), a welder from Tullamore, and Rebecca Blake (29), a recruitment consultant from Surrey, both denied charges of "breach of honour with consent" and committing "an indecent act in a taxi" when they appeared in court last month. But they pleaded guilty to a third charge related to consumption of alcohol in public."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irishman-gets-three-months-in-jail-for-sex-with-woman-in-back-of-dubai-taxi-3302431.html

I know what they did is considered wrong in Dubai but why not deport them straight away instead of sending them to prison.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When in Rome and all that malarkey.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The crime was committed in Dubai so punishment happens in Dubai. They shouldn't have engaged in sexual intercourse in the back of a taxi. What a horrid thing to do and it showed they had little in the way of respect for themselves or others. Could they not have got a room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

As ridiculous as I think some of the laws are, you have to respect them in their own country. You're a guest there essentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bet the taxi driver cracked one off first before he reported them ;)

Where To told me before that some of his best 'pedals' were had by looking thru his rear view mirror :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I love the way Islamic law gets so precious about people having sex whilst routinely slaughtering people in the name of their God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

In all fairness have they not read of other stories like that before going over there ?

Feckin ejits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Jail for having sex in a taxi? That's offaly harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I suppose the obvious answer OP is to make an example of them but he might have his sentence shortened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

KKkitty wrote: »
    The crime was committed in Dubai so punishment happens in Dubai. They shouldn't have engaged in sexual intercourse in the back of a taxi. What a horrid thing to do and it showed they had little in the way of respect for themselves or others. Could they not have got a room?

Do you think they should go to prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

"He said they would appeal.

Mr McRedmind had told Dubai Misdemeanours Court that the taxi driver made a malicious false accusation after rowing with him over the fare and claimed his account was inconsistent."

He is denying it.

• Advertisement

Jezek wrote: »

Do you think they should go to prison?
    Prison is harsh but that's the punishment that's handed out over there.

Latchy wrote: »
    I suppose the obvious answer OP is to make an example of them but he might have his sentence shortened.

When they are deporting him anyway why not just do it now, prison will serve no purpose really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

"AN OFFALY man accused of having sex with his girlfriend in a Dubai taxi has been sent to jail for three months.

Conor McRedmond (28), a welder from Tullamore, and Rebecca Blake (29), a recruitment consultant from Surrey, both denied charges of "breach of honour with consent" and committing "an indecent act in a taxi" when they appeared in court last month. But they pleaded guilty to a third charge related to consumption of alcohol in public."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irishman-gets-three-months-in-jail-for-sex-with-woman-in-back-of-dubai-taxi-3302431.html

I know what they did is considered wrong in Dubai but why not deport them straight away instead of sending them to prison.

Considered wrong in Dubai? Id consider it wrong anywhere. They broke the laws in that country and they have to do the time in that country. They should have known better, there have been loads of cases like this in Dubai. Feckin eejits.

Prison is harsh but that's the punishment that's handed out over there.

Obviously I know that that is the punishment. But I think it is the wrong thing to do and that people should not go to prison about crimes like these. What do you think?

"He said they would appeal.

Mr McRedmind had told Dubai Misdemeanours Court that the taxi driver made a malicious false accusation after rowing with him over the fare and claimed his account was inconsistent."

He is denying it.
    If I did what he is alleged to have done I'd be trying to turn it around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kfallon wrote: »
    When in Rome and all that malarkey.....

Please, go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When they are deporting him anyway why not just do it now, prison will serve no purpose really.
    I agree but the sentence might just be to highlight the severity ( By Dubai law) of the offense committed and there may be behind the scene negotiations to get him out of the country sooner .

Obviously I know that that is the punishment. But I think it is the wrong thing to do and that people should not go to prison about crimes like these. What do you think?
    It's very much over the top. Some countries need to get with the real world.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Considered wrong in Dubai? Id consider it wrong anywhere. They broke the laws in that country and they have to do the time in that country. They should have known better, there have been loads of cases like this in Dubai. Feckin eejits.

Yes it's wrong but it hardly the crime of the century, except in Dubai. who has not had some fun in a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

bollox!! did you see the chick?? I probably would of took the risk as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Jail for having sex in a taxi? That's offaly harsh.
    not offaly, dubai in saudi arabia...

was she wearing a headscarf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

it hardly the crime of the century, except in Dubai. who has not had some fun in a taxi.

I feel so excluded :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bollox!! did you see the chick?? I probably would of took the risk as well!

She is quite the looker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"So, are ya (gettin') busy tonight?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They disrespected both the law and the culture of a country which is no doubt giving them a nice home and jobs.

Good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I love the way Islamic law gets so precious about people having sex whilst routinely slaughtering people in the name of their God
    'Routinely slaughtering' is a bit harsh.
    1.7 billion Muslims on this planet after all. I would argue most of them probably just watch telly.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They disrespected both the law and the culture of a country which is no doubt giving them a nice home and jobs.

Good enough for them.

I think some laws and cultures are just full of sh1t and shouldn't be respected too much.

Not saying it particularly for this instance but generally, I do not agree with this argument at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good enough for them.

A bit like Savita and Praveen Halappanavar here then? Nice home and jobs and who the fukc were they to expect they can get an abortion here? Good enough for them?

Retard laws in retard countries, both here and in the middle east if you ask me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Latchy wrote: »

Why should he have his sent-...

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    'Routinely slaughtering' is a bit harsh.
    1.7 billion Muslims on this planet after all. I would argue most of them probably just watch telly.

Or the 'Western Devil box', as they call it. :D

I think some laws and cultures are just full of sh1t and shouldn't be respected too much.

Not saying it particularly for this instance but generally, I do not agree with this argument at all.

There's thing I don't particularly agree with I'm going to ignore the law and wind up in jail because of it.

unkel wrote: »
    A bit like Savita and Praveen Halappanavar here then? Nice home and jobs and who the fukc were they to expect they can get an abortion here? Good enough for them?

Retard laws in retard countries, both here and in the middle east if you ask me...

That's a very wide berth you're taking there with to draw a comparison but your second sentence is agreeable, yes.

There's thing I don't particularly agree with I'm going to ignore the law and wind up in jail because of it.

I'm not saying I'm gonna ignore the law and risk being put to jail. What I'm saying is I'm not gonna agree with something or even respect it just because it is the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

kowloon wrote: »
    Or the 'Western Devil box', as they call it. :D
    Well... I called it a few things meself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I read somewhere today, that there was no dna evidence to support the prosecutions case that sexual intercourse took place, but the court found them guilty anyway. Will see if I can dig up the quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

It's getting late so it's quite possible I've missed something but is the general consensus here that it's ok to have sex in a taxi? Regardless of whatever crazy laws they have, I think this one is fairly reasonable. Imagine being a taxi driver and some of the dirtbirds you'd pick up, I'm sure you see horrible enough goings on without turning to get your fare and seeing some filth bag porking his missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

3 months in jail for being idiots.

Sounds like a fascist fantasy.

My opinion is that the offending parties should be fined and the taxi driver compensated. Not that it is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

unkel wrote: »

So people should just be allowed have sex in taxi's/public whenever they want? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Taxi driver should have filmed it on the CCTV for the hand shandy for later. :D

• Advertisement

I'm all for protesting bad laws, but this might be taking it several inches too far.

You would get in trouble for it here too, just not a jail sentence.

Are they not only getting charged with being drunk in a public place and not enough evidence to convict them of having the ride in the taxi??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I know what they did is considered wrong in Dubai

I'd wager that it's considered wrong in Dublin too. Do you honestly think that if you shag someone in the back of a taxi here in Ireland that you wouldn't be breaking the law?

tolosenc wrote: »

I'd wager that it's considered wrong in Dublin too. Do you honestly think that if you shag someone in the back of a taxi here in Ireland that you wouldn't be breaking the law?

I'm sure it is but the thing is in Ireland the taxi man would probably pull the car over and have a peddle and crank or ask to join in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They should have known that it was against the law, harsh price to pay but ultimately irresponsible and disrespectful to the country's laws and culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm all for protesting bad laws, but this might be taking it several inches too far.

You would get in trouble for it here too, just not a jail sentence.

tehehe :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's worth googling the two of them. They look exactly like the yobs you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

How do you even prove this? It's the taxi drivers word against theirs.

I'd almost believe they were telling the truth. The problem with somewhere like Dubai is if a local makes a complaint to the police about you their word is taken over yours. I just can't see two people having sex in a taxi in a place like Dubai regardless of how drunk or stupid you are you'd have to know there would be consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I don't believe they were riding in the back seat. You'd want to be all kinds of fúcked up to be at that less than 5 feet from somebody with their eyes in a mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's weird when you think about it ....

Take Ireland for example. Many will comment about how Ireland is lacking compared to the rest of the world. With such issues as how homosexuals can't marry, the whole catholic church debates, legalisation of cannabis and so on.

But compare Ireland to Dubai! :confused:
    Over there a man and a woman can't hold hands walking down the road. You can't drink alcohol. You can't be 'openly' gay in the UAE.... So just how bad is Ireland compared to the likes of Dubai?

• Advertisement
Advertisement