Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your earliest memory of life?

• 23-11-2012 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Mine is eating an ice-cream in Westport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Being on a plane to the Isle of Man. I remember being in my mothers arms eating custard cream biscuits.
    Years later I found out that happened when i was 2!! :eek: How the hell can anyone remember anything from when they were 2!?!?

**(leaves self open to plane joke considering username)**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

304 BC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Walking to school with my nanny and a bird shat on my head. I cried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

pffffffffffft, 3 or 4 days ago? thereabouts

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sitting on my aunties lawn in New York in 1983. I was 2 years old. I remember a black fella cycling by on a bike, it had a basket on the front.

I remember being a Tyrannosaurus Rex and finding it very difficult to open jars and things with my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Sticking my finger in a plug and being shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Swimming, swimming so fast bursting to get there first. I look back and I see them all desperately trying to catch me but they can't because I've got the biggest tail. And then suddenly I collide with a big round object. It's a blur after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I remember being in a buggy as my Mom was pushing me across the road. All of a sudden I felt myself fall backwards, and heard my Mom say she slipped on some oil. Pretty sure that's my first memory. There are others, but I think that one happened first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Playgroup just after my 3rd birthday. I didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

my granny dragging a nun by the hair whilst punching her in the face cos she lashed me across the legs with a cane
    think i was four

I'd like to change my original reply to "riding your ma" if I could, please? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Mine is from when I was about 3. The hurling team my Dad and Uncle played for won a county final and we must have gone to the pub afterwards, because I distinctly remember they were both wearing 70s suits (complete with flared trouser legs and kipper ties). I remember them standing me up on a pub stool, with one of them either side of me holding my hands, and a big cup/trophy being passed around over everybody's head's......

Strange how I can remember what I did in a pub 30 years ago, yet I can't remember what I did in the pub last Saturday night:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sitting in a pram / crib and hearing classical music coming from the radio or wireless as it was know then in the mid sixties .It must have made some impression and creeped into my baybee subconscious because I still love classical music now .

dave3004 wrote: »
    Mine is eating an ice-cream in Westport.

I was watching you then and I'm watching you now, ffft fffft fffft (In a Hannibal Lector stylee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Running around in water fountains in a park in Australia with my cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I remember my grandad being in bed upstairs in his house and my mum bringing me up to see him. He gave me paper money, probably a pound note. He died in April 1971. I was born in November 69 so i was less than 18 months old. It's a very vivid memory and one I will never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My gimp of an old man at my granddads funeral, I was about 5 he turned around and said ah well son this is how we all end up. Think I cried for a month and it tortured me for years. He's lucky the good memories outweigh the bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Getting a toy tractor from Santa and spending the day playing in the box the tractor came in.

Think I was 3 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kennedy's visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I remember quite a lot of Playschool and a holiday before that, so around 3 years old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Various bits of play-school when i was 3. Making snakes out of Mala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Being on a plane to the Isle of Man. I remember being in my mothers arms eating custard cream biscuits.
    Years later I found out that happened when i was 2!! :eek: How the hell can anyone remember anything from when they were 2!?!?

I aint getting on no plane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Mine was of being at a circus in the Isle of man, I was also 2! haha

justryan wrote: »
    I aint getting on no plane!

*shakes fist* damn you justryan! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I remember my Aunt's house in the Bahamas that I visited when I was just 14 months.

Mine was of being at a circus in the Isle of man, I was also 2! haha

... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

... :pac:

I have family there! I only found out not too long ago when my sister and I were trying to think of what our earliest memories were. And I remember the clown making fun of my cousin simones name. I asked my mam how old I was and she said 2.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Standing in the street outside a giant jewellery store in Jersey when I was about three.

Or peeing my pants in playschool because I was too shy to ask to go to the toilet. Charming child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

*shakes fist* damn you justryan! :pac:

AH is a bit slow tonight, I'm surprised no one got there first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bringing our two pet lambs home in the back of my fathers big blue corolla estate, they were in the boot and we were in the back seat, turned towards the boot on our knees, I would have been two, I also remember giving up my bottle the same day as I and to give it to the lambs so we could feed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Strange how I can remember what I did in a pub 30 years ago, yet I can't remember what I did in the pub last Saturday night:o
    Pint? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Pond out me grannys back, I fell in and remember my grannys dog tryna pull me out, the dog kept me up over the water untill my mam came running out a the house to pick me out! I'll never forget it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've unbelievably early memories, don't ask me about five minutes ago though.. The first thing I remember is ... balls :(

Christmas tree balls in mah walker bitchesss :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

My sister being born. I was 2 and thought I was getting a new friend , that would be my age etc. and be fun to play with. Instead I got a very boring sleeping thing in a plastic box (incubator). I then proceeded to try wake her up and when that failed I climbed under the hospital bed my mother was in and wreaked havoc on the ward ! :P I also remember this was the first time I ever dressed myself . I was wearing wellies , dungarees , pyjamas and shorts !! :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Calling for my big brother who must have been ten or eleven to help me out of my cot... I have no idea what age I was only that I couldn't walk yet and crawled everywhere on my bum.

I also remember my first Christmas, so maybe 9 months, I got pine needles that fell off the live tree my mother insisted on stuck in my hands, that was the last time we ever got a live tree, I remember my dad who is a huge tough man crying as he tried to tweezer them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

pebbles21 wrote: »
    my granny dragging a nun by the hair whilst punching her in the face cos she lashed me across the legs with a cane
    think i was four

Your Gran is, and I don't use this term lightly, a LEGEND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I remember seeing snow and mum wrapping me up in a red snowsuit to go out to play and her warning me not to go to far from the back door or I mite not be found again coz the snow was so high. She hated the Artic winters of Canada. I would only have turned 2 that Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

I think i was around 3. Cousins owned a few horses back in the day. All i remember is being beside the horse and looking up with my mouth open at amazement at how big it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I think I was about five years of age.

I was in hospital and was very, very ill and sore. My Mother and Grandmother were standing over me. my Grandmother was smiling, and my mother was trying to hand me a toy car, in an attempt to console me.

I was very sore and scaldy, so I was lashing out at them both - particularly my Grandmother.

Sadly, my Grandmother died shortly after that. So, her last memory of me, and my last memory of her is of me being a bold little c*nt. That upsets me to this day. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My mam telling me I'd have a little brother or sister...I was probably around two or so, considering my sister was born when I was two and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Crawling out of the sea on to land for the first time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I remember being given a bath in the sink, I must have been about two and a half. I have other memories of the first house I lived in and I moved when I was 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't remember to much it being over 50 years ago,A few misty ones, Having a bath in the downstairs sink,big huge prams with wheels like ferris ones,everyone being happy,Christmas morning after santa had gone,sunshine,and red lemonade and going to sandymount or Dollymount in the summer on the buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My first memory is being in the back kitchen of my grandparents house and my grandad walking in after being on the farm and I thought he was an absolute giant of a figure. He died about a year later and I would've only being three at the funeral. I remember the funeral well to this day. It was the biggest gathering of people I had seen up to that point in my life and me and the cousin's were up in the parlour playing together while Grandad reposed in the sitting room. It's amazing how things like that stick in your memory forever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My earliest memory.......touching my moms vagina.

I was a natural birth, not a C-Section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Call bull**** all you want, but here we go:

I had a minor case of jaundice after birth, and i was put into some form of "blue light box" (baby sized sunbed maybe?).

My first memory of life is being in this plastic box with holes and lids and crap all over it, blue light and humming everywhere and being confused as hell.

After that, there is a small gap untill the memory of me in this thing: http://www.thebarnstorming.com/more_toys/100_8157-thumb.jpg

That pics not me by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Very earliest memory is me managing to climb out of my cot and make a bid for freedom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Libya
    Getting caught in a sandstorm, that fecking hurt, myself and my partner in crime (funny enough he was from Cork too) walking for what seemed like miles (50 feet) back to the house with hands over our eyes

First time I remember rain , flying into Malta

We would have been about two maybe three

• Advertisement
Advertisement