Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Muffled Screams of a Medical Student

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Captain Albection

Thought of one which I like to call my hospital based superpower:

With almost unerring accuracy, no matter where I stand in a ward or theatre in less than 2-3 minutes I will literally be in the one exact spot that's in someone's way and will have to move so they can access notes, get supplies, move equipment etc. etc. as it'd be genuinely impossible to do so by going around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

looksee wrote: »
    I don't know about preachy, but there are some disturbing egos around. Still I suppose Consultants have to start somewhere.

let's leave out the little pot-shots, please

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

looksee wrote: »
    I don't know about preachy, but there are some disturbing egos around. Still I suppose Consultants have to start somewhere.

I'm really not sure how you have concluded that I have a disturbing ego from the quote you used. To my mind what I said was broadly in agreement with other people on here have said.

We are entitled to train to a level precisely reflected by how well a patient wishes their own doctor to be trained. To the patients that facilitate us, I am very grateful.

For the record I have been a patient in hospital on several occasions, and always allowed medical students to practice their clinical skills and hx taking, and in my experience they were all very courteous about it, as I know I have been in my own training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

sam34 wrote: »
    let's leave out the little pot-shots, please

But god damnit they make it so difficult!

What I would consider as probably the worst part of being a medical student is the increasing vilification of doctors. It's very wearing when trying to study so much and work so hard to work at a profession with a view to helping people when a lot of what we hear is how arrogant, greedy, selfish, conceited, and simply horrible we all are.

It's true that some of them are, but to claim that we all are is ridiculous and frankly, highly insulting.

To keep things within the bracket of healthcare, there is a proportion of nurses, pharmacists, midwives etc. who are simply terrible people (this is just human nature, the same is true of every single way you could ever group people into categories) but there seems to be much greater resistance to coming out and (incorrectly) asserting that they all are this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

What I would consider as probably the worst part of being a medical student is the increasing vilification of doctors. It's very wearing when trying to study so much and work so hard to work at a profession with a view to helping people when a lot of what we hear is how arrogant, greedy, selfish, conceited, and simply horrible we all are.

Agreed. Also, I'm sick of being told every story about how Dr X down in Killinaskully got done for misconduct and Dr Y missed a PE. While I appreciate the need to be aware of your own fallibility, it's just demoralising to constantly hear this stuff about people who know a lot more than me while I'm trying to study.
    And then there's the "Jimmy down the road went to A&E with a pain in his face. What's wrong with him?" type of questions. I don't know what's wrong with Jimmy, but I know that the last thing he needs is for me to be flippantly speculating about his health situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MedHead100

I agree with above comments. Having to sit through a lecture from family about doctors having an easy life and earning too much money. My sister, a teacher, claimed that the overtime she does it similar to that of a doctor -she has to do corrections some nights...

Is there any way to change this public image of the profession?

Also found this interesting article
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/1027/1224325773964.html

This article directly references increasing vilification as a cause for depression among doctors:

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/page.aspx?title=going_forward_looking_back

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

And this is what we have to look forward to in the not too distant future ...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/working-conditions-hospital-so-bad-no-sleep-column-761636-Jan2013/

Advertisement