Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Meter Amateur allocation

Options
  • 23-11-2012 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey Guys,

I'm finding it hard to get any info on what modes and powers are allowed on the 30 Meter Amateur band (here in EI land). Until mid 2009 we were allowed Morse only and 20dBW on that band but there was a lot of talk back then about it being opened to digital modes. Was there ever any movement on this and where do we stand now on 30?

Cheers,

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Anything as narrow as Morse I thought. It CAN'T be "arbitary digital modes"

Some digital modes are as wide as SSB.

Others as wide as RTTY. RTTY isn't allowed on 10MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

MHz: 10100 - 10140 200 CW, 10116 kHz - QRP Centre of Activity 10140 - 10150 500 Narrow band modes – digimodes
    SSB may be used during emergencies involving the immediate safety of life and property and only by stations actually involved in the handling of emergency traffic.
    The band segment 10120 kHz to 10140 kHz may be used for SSB transmissions in the area of Africa south of the equator during local daylight hours.
    News bulletins on any mode should not be transmitted on the 10 MHz band.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheLongView

Thanks guys..

@pixbyjohn Thanks for that. I think that link is to the Region 1 bandplan. Our own allocation on 30M here in Ireland is not so generous. To the best of my knowledge, we have the full band, but CW only and 20dBW limit. I'll call Comreg next week and get clarification and update the post for info..

@watty I agree about some digital modes being less BW efficient. I love CW of course, but i'm itching to try JT65A on 30M and also WSPR. JT65A has a BW of 176hz and is mostly transmitted with no more than 20W and WSPR is a 6hz BW beacon mode that's sent usually at 10W max and a very useful propagation tool!! They compare very favourably with 50wpm CW sent at 100W.

Thanks guys, J.

Found it at. We're OK to 500Hz BW, 10.140 to 10.150MHz 100W, but no RTTY.

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/radio_amateur_technical_licence_conditions.541.985.html#.UK_DFe_Rwvs

• In the band 10.140-10.150 MHz all narrowband digimodes within the bandwidth limit of 500Hz are permitted. No news bulletins are permitted within this frequency range. SSB is permitted but only during emergencies involving immediate safety of life and by the stations directly involved in handling emergency traffic.
    • In the frequency range 10.100-10.150 MHz, RTTY is not permitted.

Thanks again guys..

John EI5JS

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

I think the no RTTY is a misprint taken from older documentation

I have asked before for this to be cleared up and will do so again.

I'm not going to say fire away on RTTY but there is lots of EI's active on 30m RTTY so make your own choices.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,

..and its interesting to hear. I'll decode for a while to get a feel for how much EI RTTY there is and join in or not as the case may be :D for now, i'm enjoying JT65 around 10.140mhz

Many thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

Found it at. We're OK to 500Hz BW, 10.140 to 10.150MHz 100W, but no RTTY.
    thanks to comreg for clearing that up,,,no RTTY ,,,, i hope nobody is breaking the written law

Amateur RTTY is 170 Hz shift and 45.5 or 75 baud.
    At 75 baud the bandwidth MINIMUM would be 170 + 150 = 320Hz. But if used via SSB transmitter and no post modulation filtering then the FM sidebands are quite strong at x 75 = 150Hz, and thus bandwidth of each carrier is 300Hz so total is 470Hz. The next sideband too will be appreciable, so 3 x 75 = 225Hz. x2 on carrier so 170 + 450 = 620Hz and on up to infinity but each sideband lower energy. Then the SSB filter limits it to 300 to 2.5KHz or what ever you have.

There are wider RTTY splits too. Unless you have a direct FSK RTTY transmitter, the RTTY mode is MUCH wider simply using ASK and SSB as the extra keying sidebands are not filtered.

So that is why RTTY is excluded. It can be much worse!
    Common carrier shifts are 85 Hz (used on LF and VLF frequencies), 170 Hz, 425 Hz, 450 Hz and 850 Hz,

If it was DSP generated with advanced filtering, then it's possible to be within 500Hz, and even as little as 176Hz (45.5 on 85Hz shift). But I guess the regulator assumes someone could be using an old system that is simply switching between two audio oscillators from the data, giving maybe 1860Hz of bandwidth (spikes at 75, 150, 225, 300 etc either side of both carriers gradually decaying as you are further from carrier assuming 75 baud).

yes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTTY

People started with ordinary teletype (like used on landlines) and added ASK (audio shift keying) to feed AM or SSB or FM Transmitters. The bandwidth used is a lot more than MixW might use!

So Comreg have updated there document covering Amatuer radio guidelines and as I stated the RTTY typo has been removed,

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0945R1.pdf

Thankfully before the seen Wattys post, and his BW figures :s

And also we now can run 400w on 30m :-)

Thanks to the IRTS who have been pushing Comreg for these changes and the new LF allocation,

Let's hope there will be some more treats for us soon,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

eiei0 wrote: »
    So Comreg have updated there document covering Amatuer radio guidelines and as I stated the RTTY typo has been removed,

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0945R1.pdf

Thankfully before the seen Wattys post, and his BW figures :s

And also we now can run 400w on 30m :-)

Thanks to the IRTS who have been pushing Comreg for these changes and the new LF allocation,

Let's hope there will be some more treats for us soon,

IRTS were very slow to seek datamodes on 30 mtrs , it wasn't till some new licensees were reported for operating illegitimately :eek: :o that they responded. The IRTS website at the time was to blame by they publishing incorrect band plan info

have tried for a full year to log EI80IRTS on data but failed

Sorry but how do you know how long the IRTS have been pushing Comreg for anything ???

I personally raised the issue over 2 years ago and it was to be sorted by Comreg straight away,

Dealing with Comreg can be tricky to say the least, The don't understand why we want all these extra little allocations and modes, there attitude is to be happy with what you got.

And while I can't comment on EI80IRTS activity on Data modes I know it has been active and I personally activited the call sign for the BARTG RTTY Contest back in March.

I was not aware that anyone was reported for using RTTY on 30m, have you any facts to prove this or is it idle pub talk ???

Advertisement