Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble finding a Job in Brisbane

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Two weeks without a Job in Brisbane. Applying for everything and anything and still no look. Moved over from Perth and im thinking it was probably a made move. Starting to stress out now and the bank account cant take much more of it. Lucky im staying with cousin so not paying rent for the moment until i find a job. Hopefully i will soon. Has anyone had trouble finding a Job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Two weeks without a Job in Brisbane. Applying for everything and anything and still no look. Moved over from Perth and im thinking it was probably a made move. Starting to stress out now and the bank account cant take much more of it. Lucky im staying with cousin so not paying rent for the moment until i find a job. Hopefully i will soon. Has anyone had trouble finding a Job?

I've been looking in Perth for 3 months now, although I've only been applying for jobs that I really want. Was offered a few average paying jobs but I'm going to hold out for the one I want. Lookin on seek etc every day and the jobs are getting few and far between to be honest so I'll have to to just settle for a low paying job. Also i can't help but notice all the "looking for a job" adds on gumtree the majority are Irish and British, getting scary to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I've been looking in Perth for 3 months now, although I've only been applying for jobs that I really want. Was offered a few average paying jobs but I'm going to hold out for the one I want. Lookin on seek etc every day and the jobs are getting few and far between to be honest so I'll have to to just settle for a low paying job. Also i can't help but notice all the "looking for a job" adds on gumtree the majority are Irish and British, getting scary to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Far more difficult than people think to get any job here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

What lines of work are you guys in?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Im also wondering what line of work people are in that are struggling to get work,
    my brother went to sydney in september with his g/f, both of them had jobs in less than 2 weeks, she works in a restaurant and he is a barman, not exactly the most high paying jobs but still able to survive fine,

I have been working in a warehouse, driving forks etc, for 6 years and looking on seek there seems to be hundreds of jobs in that area (possibly once you pay a few hundred $ for a licence),the only reason i would be afraid to go to oz would be not getting work,

are particular areas in serious trouble and not hiring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Time of year.

After 30 Nov, a lot of industries just stop hiring til 30 Jan.

It seems bizarre but generally speaking summer months are the slowest in Australia for hiring.

If you guys are looking in specific areas, you aren't likely to find something til well into the new year.

Maybe take a filler (read-anything you can get) til then if money is tight

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cc181187

what line of work can you do? I had 3 different jobs in perth (construction, helathcare) and am still in contact with some people that might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Entirely depends on if you're looking for a specific line of work, OP never said if they were. It took me two months to get a job in engineering, i was waiting longer than two weeks just to get a response from places.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

im in the same boat in sydney! need some labouring work to tie me over until the new year or christmas at the very least! struggling to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Best advice I can give is to try the agencies no matter what line of work you are in - especially if you are on a whv, being honest - and HR depts. will admit this openly - many employers will not consider applicants who apply directly if they are not permanent residents. I even struggled being a de facto on a 4 year sponsorship visa.

If anyone's in Sydney I can recommend the following agencies: (admin/marketing roles in my experience)
    Office Team, Julia Ross, Hayes, Recruitment Edge, SMF Recruitment

For construction work - also try agencies, my partner is sponsored by one (EIR Group) - I know they have already given warning that they expect sites to close from 24 Dec - mid Jan as many building sites do - but a few weeks to go yet.

Agencies are the way forward people. I would say forget Seek if you don't have a long visa.
    I was placed by one on a 3 month assignment in my last 2 jobs and in both cases was made permanent - at the moment I'm working for my dream company.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Best advice I can give is to try the agencies no matter what line of work you are in - especially if you are on a whv, being honest - and HR depts. will admit this openly - many employers will not consider applicants who apply directly if they are not permanent residents. I even struggled being a de facto on a 4 year sponsorship visa.

I disagree with this.
    Agencies are fine for the bigger companies, but the smaller ones will not want to pay an agency rate for a position lower on less than 90k a year.
    The other kicker is that most of the bigger companies will have their HR lined up for the next few months around the holiday season.
    Agencies won't be that pushed to sell you on to an employer if there is only going to be a few weeks work in it for them, it just isn't worth their while.

To be brutally honest I think you would be better off trying to contact some of the smaller companies directly. Write a decent cover letter explaining how long your visa has to run, and make sure your CV is concise and relevant, with a few Aussie references if possible. Its slow going all around for job seekers in Bris at the moment, but the jobs are there. Be patient, and pick up a casual nixer if you can in the meantime to stop the rot

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

My advice was based on the OP's situation and some of the other posters who are getting desperate for work. Temp work through an agency will be easier to come by than getting a company to take you on directly and put you through their payroll - especially in the run up to Christmas when they are slowing down and taking holidays. There is a lot of seasonal temp work around at the moment which would tide them over.

Also - in my line of work - I can safely say about 80% of the jobs I looked at on Seek specified that applicants must be either perm residents or citizens of Australia - no matter what size company they were. Some also stated - we do not provide sponsorship. Many do not want to take the chance of giving someone a job and training them if they might disappear again in a few months.

Again, just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

In Sydney myself nearly three weeks now and still haven't been able to get anything yet. In engineering myself (process, R&D, mechanical) and had a meeting with Hays earlier in the week and a call yesterday to Michael Page Recruitment but they said it's fairly quiet with temp engineering jobs at the moment, which is a bit disheartening.
    Have been applying for loads of retail jobs just to get something for the time being, as I have a few years retail experience but not much word yet, think the whole WHV just scares them off tbh! Will keep trying and hopefully get something before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Spent a month looking for work in Brisbane/ Gold Coast area. Got one interview on the 4th week and that came to nothing. The girlfriend got nothing whatsoever! Was a miserable time for both of us and probably the lowest point of the travels so far. Finally bit the bullet and moved to Sydney.

Within a week I managed to fall into a job through an agency who put me up for an interview with an Australian for a 6 month role. WHV worked in my favour as the company only wanted someone for 6 months and they thought the Australian would jump ship ASAP.

Im in Logistics/ Shipping and the girlfriend is a trained Journalist/Editor with 3 years experience in project administration. Seems to be a LOT of competition for Office work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Heading over to melborne next week how are people finding getting jobs there

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Cake Man wrote: »
    In Sydney myself nearly three weeks now and still haven't been able to get anything yet. In engineering myself (process, R&D, mechanical) and had a meeting with Hays earlier in the week and a call yesterday to Michael Page Recruitment but they said it's fairly quiet with temp engineering jobs at the moment, which is a bit disheartening.
    Have been applying for loads of retail jobs just to get something for the time being, as I have a few years retail experience but not much word yet, think the whole WHV just scares them off tbh! Will keep trying and hopefully get something before Christmas.

We advertised for electrical eng a few weeks back in work in Brisbane, had over 100 applications for the role !

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

nerd69 wrote: »
    Heading over to melborne next week how are people finding getting jobs there

It depends what line of work you're in, but in general things seem to be very quiet in Melbourne, plenty of call center work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Joe Gt wrote: »
    We advertised for electrical eng a few weeks back in work in Brisbane, had over 100 applications for the role !

Yeah, had a meeting with an agent from Hays last week and he mentioned there was a temp engineering role that went up recently and it received over 400 applications, crazy! A job in McDonalds it'll have to be so! Seriously though, at this stage, I'd take pretty much anything just to start doing something. Gets fairly boring sitting around every day and only so much you can go to the beach. You'd eat through money very quickly too.
    I'm kind of disappointed though as I've nearly seven years retail experience so I thought that would guarantee me something over Xmas but nothing has been forthcoming yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Its bad timing too. Speaking from my own company...we are very busy up until Christmas so if we wanted someone we wouldn't have time to hire and train them. Then in January its so quiet that we won't be looking for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Temping work is your best bet. Try APRG & Hallis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Joe Gt wrote: »

I would be keen to know how many of these applications are genuine. It sounds like a lot of competition but I bet when you filter out applications from overseas looking for sponsorship & applications from people that are totally not suitable but are applying for anything going, there would be far less competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Can anyone recommend any agencies in Perth that might have work in welfare work, social care or youth worker - or anything??

Advertisement