Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper Challenge 2013

Options
  • 23-11-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all

Just letting you know that the Keeper Challenge date has been organised for 2013 it March 9th.

http://wp.keeperchallenge.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How much is the 'elite' one if you don't get early bird entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

How much is the 'elite' one if you don't get early bird entry?
    There is a meeting next week so I will let you know for definite after the meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

great race- really enjoyed it last year and looking forward to next year- it was 50euro last year and you could register to race even on the morning of the race -

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi all

Just letting you know that the Keeper Challenge date has been organised for 2013 it March 9th.

http://wp.keeperchallenge.com/

Ah Thanks so much for advertising this! A nice new challenge to look forward to partaking in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Last year you were told to be self sufficient (carry your own drinks etc) but there were small bottles of water handed out at the summit of Keeper. Will that be the case again for 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for those that did it last year, the website says hybrid bike, but only having a road bike or a hardtail mtb, which is more advisable?

there was a mix of road bikes/hybrids and mountain bikes last year, think one guy even raced a tt bike...top 20-40 all raced road bikes, raced a road bike myself- surface is all road for the whole race but it does get hairy with alot of grass on the centre of the road and some large pot-holes- my guess is if your a good biker, you have your wits about you and you want to race it then use a road bike, if your going out to enjoy it and just compete then a hybrid is the way to go.

Registration fees for Keeper Chalenge 2013:
    Online Early bird (available until January 10th 2013) : Main Event €50 / Mini Event €30
    Online Registration (January 11th to March 8th 2013): Main Event €55 / Mini Event €35
    Registration on the Day (March 9th 2013) : Main Event €60 / Mini Event €40

For more info, check out the website http://wp.keeperchallenge.com/

Also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KeeperChallenge

Last year you were told to be self sufficient (carry your own drinks etc) but there were small bottles of water handed out at the summit of Keeper. Will that be the case again for 2013?

We are hoping to have a similar set up to last year. There will be filling station before and after the race and at the transition area.

One of the local competitors did this video just before the event last year, it gives a general idea of the road conditions on the cycle route. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot3KjiiV8aE

• Advertisement

Max 500 competitors for the Keeper Challenge in 2013, register online to avoid any disappointment and avail of the early bird registration discount - http://wp.keeperchallenge.com/index.php/register/

Was a great race last year, do you think there could be that many competitors this year? think there was around 200 last year- 120 in long distance race and 80 in short distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Trig1 wrote: »
    Was a great race last year, do you think there could be that many competitors this year? think there was around 200 last year- 120 in long distance race and 80 in short distance!

Hi Trig

Going on current Trends we are looking at doubling our numbers for this year.
    We have twice an many registered now than the same point last year.

We are Limited to the 500 due to safety and insurance reasons.

I think we are going to be very close to it.

Ki

Here is a link to a training programme

http://keeperchallenge.com/index.php/training/

This is a 9 week novice plan Designed to get you through Keeper Challenge 2013 long course, Light Jog means LIGHT. 5-10 mins stretching should be done before and after every session.

Intensity levels- 1/10 means very Light. 5/10 good solid pace 10/10 means Flat out.

Hi All

Just a quick announcement.

Thanks to the people of Big Wheel Cycles we can now offer 10% off any purchases to anyone who registers online, and to celebrate Big Wheel Cycles coming on board we have also extended the early bird offer of 50 euro for the main event and 30 euro for the mini event.

For more details Click here!

BigWheels.jpg

Hi Everyone
    Here is a copy of our flyer, if you could download it and put it on your notice board at work or email it :) thanks

Just a reminder that online registration is €50.00 and that registration on the day for the main event will be €60.00 and the mini event on the day will be €40.00 so save a tenner by registering online before the day.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/KeeperChallenge?fref=ts for more information

Have any boards members registered for the event already?

Is anyone following the training programme if so how are you getting on how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

I am registered. First time to do it. More of a runner than a cyclist so have been trying to get some bike sessions in. Cycled the full cycle portion of the race last week and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. One bitch of a hill that I finally had to walk up. Some of the roads weren't great and some downhills fairly hairy. Intend to run the hill in the coming weeks. Looking forward to the race. Have ran marathons and half marathons but am nervous about this as its a bit of the unknown and don't want to embarrass myself!

I am registered. First time to do it. More of a runner than a cyclist so have been trying to get some bike sessions in. Cycled the full cycle portion of the race last week and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. One bitch of a hill that I finally had to walk up. Some of the roads weren't great and some downhills fairly hairy. Intend to run the hill in the coming weeks. Looking forward to the race. Have ran marathons and half marathons but am nervous about this as its a bit of the unknown and don't want to embarrass myself!

Thanks for that sideline warrior,

We have the a commitment from the council to fill any potholes about a week before hand and then to have the entire course swept a day or two before hand to improve conditions.

The run seem alot more daunting at first, there is plenty of flat-ish sections on the hill you can use for recovery.

Decided to tackle the run part of the keeper challenge this morning. Conditions weren't great, poor visibility, cold, wet and windy. Just the sort of day that makes you feel truly alive. I had walked it once before but running it was an entirely different proposition. The first uphill mile or two were tough but then I got into a rhythm and legs felt good. Underfoot conditions were ok for the first 3 miles but the last few miles to the summit weren't great with lots of loose rocks and shale. Didn't impact too much going up as pace was slow but coming downhill was a bit hairy in paces and had to put on the brakes a few times. Made it to the top running all the way. Was a bit disoriented as the higher you went the poorer the visibility and I could never see the summit. Finally out of the gloom was the mast and I was happy to see it. A quick breather then straight back down. As stated it was hairy in paces and towards the bottom my quads and knees were hurting. Delighted to have the bike and run sections now completed so know what to expect on march 9. The hill was really deserted today apart from the odd hill walker who must have thought I was mad as they were all wrapped up in waterproofs, hats, gloves etc. as I passed them in my shorts and running top. I took a pic at the top to show poor visibility. By the way the wind at the top made it very cold up there.

• Advertisement

So....many on boards doing the Keeper challenge this year.(bump :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

So....many on boards doing the Keeper challenge this year.(bump :D)

I'll probably give it a go for the craic although I've no hillwork done (yet :rolleyes:). I've a reasonable bit of cycling and running on the flat done but will be a bit daunted by the up and down bits :)

Am definitely doing it and am beginning to look forward to the challenge. First time doing this type of race so would be happy to finish mid-pack. Just hope that the weather is kind to us. No wind please!

Just letting you know that this Saturday Big Wheel Cycles Newport are organising a cycle and will be leaving the shop at 3pm. This weeks route will be the elite cycle of the Keeper challenge . All welcome

Just letting you know that this Saturday Big Wheel Cycles Newport are organising a cycle and will be leaving the shop at 3pm. This weeks route will be the elite cycle of the Keeper challenge . All welcome

Damn wont be able to do it this weekend as i'm working but would be up for doing it next Saturday if any1 is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Damn wont be able to do it this weekend as i'm working but would be up for doing it next Saturday if any1 is interested!

I'll do it with you. Give me a shout.

They will be going again next week if you wish to go with them

They will be going again next week if you wish to go with them

I hope you'll be coming with us too ;) or will himself come along, he told me he was gonna do the elite distance, damn.... I'll have another battle on my hands :D

I did the full keeper run again this morning. It was freezing and I had the place to myself. Beautiful morning though and great views from the top but didn't stay too long up at the mast as the wind was cutting. Second time to do the run and ran all the way but was feeling a bit sluggish and time was a bit slow. Been doing a fair bit of training between running, biking and the odd bit of footie so will take a few days rest before the race to feel nice and fresh. Still find the downhill very tough going on the knees and am not going at full pelt as some of the footing is a bit unstable. Hopefully on race day I will push much harder. Am hoping to do the full cycle tomorrow with the crew from big wheel cycles. Will be nice to do it in a group. Hope I can stick with them! Just 2 weeks to race day. Am sorta looking forward to it but will be glad when it's over. Does anyone have any idea of how many are signed up for the elite race?

• Advertisement

I hope you'll be coming with us too ;) or will himself come along, he told me he was gonna do the elite distance, damn.... I'll have another battle on my hands :D
    Wont be taking part but you will see me at some stage of the race roaring at you and my better half from the sidelines :D and be prepared for a battle he is training for this

Advertisement