Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper Challenge 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

Does anyone have any idea of how many are signed up for the elite race?
    Last i heard there were 60 signed up for the elite which is over double that had signed up at the same time last year. I know that there are a small group of 3 or 4 runners that run keeper on a sunday morning at 9 they got a great morning for it

Cycle leaving from outside Big Wheel Cycles in Newport again this week at 3pm to cycle the elite route of the keeper challenge for the last time before the event.

Registration will take place from 9am in St. Mary's Secondary School Gym.
    All participants are required to complete registration and pick up their race number before 10:30.
    The event is starting at 11 am sharp for the main event and 11.05 for the mini.
    Neutralised start from the registration area and the finish area will be the community centre in Newport.
    There is a 2pm cut-off at the transition at for the accent of Keeper Hill.
    Remember No Helmet No Ride.
    Upon completion all participants will be given a cup of soup courtesy of BBQ Joes,which will also be on sale to the public, and a completion bag and jersey.
    There will be showers available in the registration area after the event.
    Soup and sandwiches will be available in Sullivans Pub after the Showers.
    Operation Transformation Leader Greg Starr will be participating in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I know that there are a small group of 3 or 4 runners that run keeper on a sunday morning at 9 they got a great morning for it

Did a good chunk of the run this morning and met those three guys as I was heading back to the car park at 9am. Lovely morning for it and tempted to do it again as regular training. Did 45 mins up, turned just after the turnoff above the tree line and then the 30 mins freefall back down was amazing :-). Really enjoyed it. Just a small matter of a little cycle before it next week plus actually reaching the summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

Did the full course yesterday, cycle was tough but enjoyable with the nice day we had. Road surface is brutal but it's a challenge so you take it as it comes, make sure your tyres are in good nick or you WILL get a puncture. If you're in bike shoes be careful on the really tough hill cos if you start up it you have to get all the way up or you end up on your side in the ditch cos you're probably not going to be able to clip out when you're pushing so hard on the pedals and going so slow. Run was good, the summit of Keeper has it's own climate though, really windy and biting cold up there yesterday, met a group of hikers huddling behind some rocks at the top, they looked at me like I was insane. I started to fade a bit on the run back from the summit. Key learning point - make sure you're well fed before the event and top up with small amounts of food and drink regularly during the event! Time was well behind the leaders from last year but hopefully I'll add a bit more respectability to it next weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Thanks for that Waylander79

Just some feedback on the Road surface.

We have arranged for the potholes to be filled this week so it should be a massive improvement.

And for any of last years competitors, the council have resurfaced 5 of the worst stretches of the road, each 1 KM long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

ki wrote: »
    Thanks for that Waylander79

Just some feedback on the Road surface.

We have arranged for the potholes to be filled this week so it should be a massive improvement.

And for any of last years competitors, the council have resurfaced 5 of the worst stretches of the road, each 1 KM long.

Are ye still getting road swept??... especially road between Summit of the hill and toor... loads of fairly large stones all over the road at certain stages of that section.

Hi Trig

Once the pot holes are filled the road sweep should be making a pass on Friday on the section from Longstone (that's the right hand turn off just after Kilnoscully) to Donane (the transistion).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Forecast is for rain later this week and on Saturday. This could make this bike route a lot more interesting. I'd suggest having a marshal at the bottom of that sharp descent (after the steep hill). I came off there last year and if its wet it could be treacherous.

Great race today and beautiful conditions....sun shone all day long, well done to all the organisers , it was a truely excellent event .... lovely goodie bags...nice t-shirts (even if they are lime green)... the medals were a great addition and are fab.... my 2 year old is proudly going around with the medal around her kneck... the soup, brown bread and tea at the finish were heaven sent... all in all not 1 bad thing to say about the race,( besides the killer hill on the cycle :eek: ) a truely superb race....again to the organisers...well done on running a great race

• Advertisement

Well done trig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Trig1 wrote: »
    Great race today and beautiful conditions....sun shone all day long, well done to all the organisers , it was a truely excellent event .... lovely goodie bags...nice t-shirts (even if they are lime green)... the medals were a great addition and are fab.... my 2 year old is proudly going around with the medal around her kneck... the soup, brown bread and tea at the finish were heaven sent... all in all not 1 bad thing to say about the race,( besides the killer hill on the cycle :eek: ) a truely superb race....again to the organisers...well done on running a great race

+1. Great day for it and really enjoyed it. Thanks to all involved

Look at our facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/KeeperChallenge

for the first batch of photos. Tag any many people as you can thanks!

Official times will be up today.

Any sign of official results being posted yet?

Official Result are now available on

http://www.keeperchallenge.com

And Loads of pics on
    http://www.facebook.com/KeeperChallenge

Tag as many people as you can, Thanks

Advertisement