Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Signals Being Installed at Dublin St/Market Green Junction, Balbriggan

Options
  • 23-11-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

from balbriggan.info
    22-Nov-12: Traffic signals at Dublin St Market Green, Balbriggan are being installed currently with funding provided by the NTA and it is hoped to have the signals complete during 2012. The new signals will provide pedestrian crossings on 3 sides. Some parking will be removed south of the junction on the west side in order to allow for 2 lanes on the approach to the signals.

The existing loading bay north of the junction on the west side may remain depending on how the system is operating. Most of the civil works are complete for this job but there will be minor civil works along with construction of 20m of footpath on the south side of Market green in order to provide a new traffic junction box.

http://www.balbriggan.info/Market%20Green%20Dublin%20Road%20Balbriggan%20GA.pdf

Another set of traffic lights, just what the town needs :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The town is a f**king disaster with lights. its Overkill...

what is there in skerries? one, two sets of lights?

There are already six sets of lights in the town that I can think of off hand, what a waste of money, fix the potholes in front of my house up in chieftains way instead please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

8 sets I make it at the moment. Fooking overkill. No need for them all
    1. Garda Station
    2. Bath Road
    3. Super Valu
    4. Chapel Street
    5. Quay Street
    6. The Square
    7. The Combined Clubs
    8. The Church

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Complete overkill! Can't understand the reasoning behind some of these decisions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Do you know whats funny, when the towns main street was part of the main route from Belfast to Dublin - the old N1 - before the motorway was built, every single belfast to dublin and vice versa car and truck drove through the town and yet there were only 2 sets of lights on it!!!! and yet an articulated truck STILL managed to drive through a red and mow down my grandfather and his sister outside the old post office... (thankfully they both survived at the time although he lost his leg)

Health and safety overkill in this poxy soft touch PC world.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I never find too much of a hold up there, but all they have to do to make traffic flow pretty freely is to remove the parking spaces and change the road markings as they are already planning to do - then there's definitely no need for lights at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Another great plan by our Town Council...

See page 8 for details of who to send your thank you cards to:
    http://www.balbriggan.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=239&&Itemid=51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

The Niece wrote: »
    Complete overkill! Can't understand the reasoning behind some of these decisions

Probably making sure the budget for this year is used fully so the same amount will be allocated next year.
    Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

a set for Cardy rock as mad. It took me 20min to get across town this morning its only 2km. Time we contacted fingal to ask them to open a direct link to the M1 stop messin about with all theses lights

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Agree Dublin/Drogheda street has far too many traffic lights. I find it's painfully slow at times to drive throught the town (althought cycling is quick and easy (and I stop at every red light ...)).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Morpheus wrote: »
    The town is a f**king disaster with lights. its Overkill...

what is there in skerries? one, two sets of lights?

There are already six sets of lights in the town that I can think of off hand, what a waste of money, fix the potholes in front of my house up in chieftains way instead please!

Actually not too much better!

1. Community Centre
    2. Extra Vision
    3. Head to toe
    4. Paddy Powers
    5. The church
    6. Super Value
    7. Pretty sure there is a set on the beach at the public toilets behind Gerry's too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

PaulD77 wrote: »

1. Community Centre
    2. Extra Vision
    3. Head to toe
    4. Paddy Powers
    5. The church
    6. Super Value
    7. Pretty sure there is a set on the beach at the public toilets behind Gerry's too

They are not along the same short stretch of road though like Balbriggan

Marked on the below image in red is the current sets of lights and marked in green is the new proposed set.

trafficlights.png

Complaint and objection sent to townhall@balbriggan.ie

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PaulD77 wrote: »

1. Community Centre
    2. Extra Vision
    3. Head to toe
    4. Paddy Powers
    5. The church
    6. Super Value
    All but 2 of those are pedestrian lights - they will only turn when requested, and are hardly much hassle to drivers (but very useful for pedestrians)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

And funnily enough traffic runs much smoother when the 2 sets around Extra vision are not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As a pedestrian - I don't drive - I can tell you that the lights at market green are badly needed. I walk that road everyday. It's a miracle there hasn't been a bad accident there yet. It's not just about traffic flow. There are more and more trucks turning that corner to get to Lidl and it is pure taking your life in your hands to cross that road in bad weather.

Cardy Rock junction with Hamlet Lane is very very dangerous for cars & pedestrians a like. The junction down from Hamlet lane is bad. There are accidents there at least once a month. I've witnessed kids nearly getting killed crossing that road to get to the Educate Together. The community has been lobbying for a long time for traffic abatement & eventually pedestrian lights in the area.

Putting in lights isn't just about traffic flow. These are needed to protect pedestrians & drivers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Signal controlled pedestrian crossing going in at junction of hamlet lane and drogheda street (R132) at the moment. Years over due this one and will be openly welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FingalForever

Thank God they're putting the lights in, I dread crossing there + at Cardy Rock - as you say, you take your life into your hands today so the sooner they're installed the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Just returning to this as yesterday I had a fall crossing at Market Green. The dishing is in place but the lights haven't been installed yet. This means that the point at which they want you to cross is too far around the corner to view the traffic - which you have to do if you want to walk across the road.

Anyway because of this I was crossing at the very corner with Drogheda St where the kerb is high. Got the buggy caught on the top of the kerb, and tumbled onto the road, along with the buggy. Baby was well strapped in & padded and despite tipping the buggy completely on his face. A number of people stopped to help me up & I only have a couple of lumps and bumps.

Bottom line is the sooner those lights go in the better, I was very lucky there wasn't a car coming around the corner at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Eoineo wrote: »
    Just returning to this as yesterday I had a fall crossing at Market Green. The dishing is in place but the lights haven't been installed yet. This means that the point at which they want you to cross is too far around the corner to view the traffic - which you have to do if you want to walk across the road.

Anyway because of this I was crossing at the very corner with Drogheda St where the kerb is high. Got the buggy caught on the top of the kerb, and tumbled onto the road, along with the buggy. Baby was well strapped in & padded and despite tipping the buggy completely on his face. A number of people stopped to help me up & I only have a couple of lumps and bumps.

Bottom line is the sooner those lights go in the better, I was very lucky there wasn't a car coming around the corner at speed.

Jesus Eoineo, that was very lucky. Thank God that wasnt a lot worse.

Advertisement