Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer dead. How to get files

Options
  • 23-11-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there, hope someone can help with this.

Last night my desktop pc died completely.

Im familiar enough with opening the shell of the pc up.

Can someone advise me how I can transfer my music, photos, documents etc onto my laptop?

I tried linking the internal drive of the pc to where the laptops own drive is hooked up but the laptop then woulda boot.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HunniBear

Take out the HD and place it in another PC?

Hook it up to a Caddy and plug it in via USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

You won't be able to connect the PC's hard drive to laptop like that, however the easiest way I know is to get one of those shells for the hard drives that make them external hard drives and than you just plug it in via USB like you would any other external drive.

Otherwise if you know anyone with the PC you can always have them hook it up as a second drive and copy the stuff for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HunniBear

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    You won't be able to connect the PC's hard drive to laptop like that, however the easiest way I know is to get one of those shells for the hard drives that make them external hard drives and than you just plug it in via USB like you would any other external drive.

Otherwise if you know anyone with the PC you can always have them hook it up as a second drive and copy the stuff for you.
    copycat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

HunniBear wrote: »
    copycat

Nope you just typed less than I did! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

These are very handy to have, job done. Although you may need to find a powered one for a 3.5" disk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

theteal wrote: »
    These are very handy to have, job done. Although you may need to find a powered one for a 3.5" disk.

This, and you can use the power from the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

This, and you can use the power from the PC

yes but not if it is a psu issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

yes but not if it is a psu issue....

But then his hd wont be dead

Advertisement