Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How well off before prices don't really matter?

• 23-11-2012 10:40am

Often wonder how well off or how high your monthly income would have to get before ya just stop caring about restaurants, bottles of wine, expensive weekend breaks etc.. It would be a long time before I'd stop thinking "6euro for a pint? Fek that's expensive.."

If ya look around, there's loads of people who just don't seem to care but wondering at what point does that happen.. I'm definitely not cheap and would happily buy a night out for a few people for the sake of 50euro (Vietnam). I'd be one of the most generous people I know. But if I went visited home and even had like e20k in my bank account (not likely), I'd still bawk and e15 for a nice drink.

When does it just not matter anymore?

Comments

What is bawk and?

Anyway I duno, I think at any level you still don't want to be ripped off, whatever you have in your account - there's no point to throwing it away. Depends on the person though maybe. I'm careful with it and always getting a bargain where I can. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

In my experience anyway, rich people are the stingy ones

bluewolf wrote: »
    What is bawk and?

Bawk at.. Imagine the first time you saw 2girls1cup. That's bawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

The richest people I know are the most price conscious, its how they have it!

Oh, balking, sorry, slow morning.
    I saw bawk and got an image in my head of a chicken squawking angrily at something :o
    Not correcting just confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I go for a poo, look down the toilet and realise I've laid golden eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You won't stay well off for very long if you stop caring about how much things cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JamieKCCO wrote: »
    In my experience anyway, rich people are the stingy ones
    I disagree. In my experience, people who are stingy with their money rarely seem to be "rich". They're often comfortable in the sense that they're not struggling to make ends meet, but they rarely seem to have a tonne of money. You do actually need to spend money to make money, so scrimping and scrounging will only get you so far.
    I find that properly wealthy people (income in 6 or 7 digits) tend to be very generous with their spending, but not stupid.

The people who are stupid with their spending and throwing money around at the end of the night seem to be in perpetual debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think 75000 PA is the national cut off point of not caring about prices, married, one working in the Public Sector and stay at home wife, teenage son and two other children, in a well located area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Largely depends on the quality of the drink IMO.

I'd rather pay a fiver or so for a decent drink like Hoegaarden than 3 quid for some cheap piss like Tuborg.

Price =/= Value for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

"Rich people can teach you how to save money", as my gran used to say.

I think it would depend what I'm paying the money for, really.
    If I went to a run-of-the-mill gastro pub and they'd want to charge me €20 for a bowl of pasta, I'd be out of there in no time flat.
    If I went to, say an organic vegetarian cafe, where the pasta is home-made and the veg for the sauce home-grown, I would see the reason for the price and may be more likely to pay it.

In essence, not much different from how I spend my money today, I shop in Aldi and Lidl but might get some nice and definitely expensive cheese or olives at a farmers market.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh, balking, sorry, slow morning.
    I saw bawk and got an image of a chicken in my head squawking angrily at something :o
    Not correcting just confused!

Hahaha, I got the same image!

I don't think rich people ever stop caring how much things cost. Most of the rich people I know are quite stingy. That's how you get rich, unless you're lucky enough to inherit loads of money or something. I know plenty of people who never look at the prices and buy whatever drink they fancy or get a new designer handbag every year but they're not rich at all, just horrible with money. I constantly see people on the same salary as me living like they're Richard Branson and then they wonder why they can never save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Hahaha, I got the same image!

I don't think rich people ever stop caring how much things cost. Most of the rich people I know are quite stingy. That's how you get rich, unless you're lucky enough to inherit loads of money or something. I know plenty of people who never look at the prices and buy whatever drink they fancy or get a new designer handbag every year but they're not rich at all, just horrible with money. I constantly see people on the same salary as me living like they're Richard Branson and then they wonder why they can never save.

Agreed, and when it comes to sending their children to college they are the first kind to complain about grants and why should people with savings get the grant while people with no savings cannot afford to send their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I think 75000 PA is the national cut off point of not caring about prices, married, one working in the Public Sector and stay at home wife, teenage son and two other children, in a well located area.

hahahahahahahaha.

trust me, €75k is nowhere near that cut-off point. Way way too low. With three kids, living in a good area, they'd be watching their money like most people.

€75k for a family of five is not a massive amount really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Often wonder how well off or how high your monthly income would have to get before ya just stop caring about restaurants, bottles of wine, expensive weekend breaks etc.. It would be a long time before I'd stop thinking "6euro for a pint? Fek that's expensive.."

If ya look around, there's loads of people who just don't seem to care but wondering at what point does that happen.. I'm definitely not cheap and would happily buy a night out for a few people for the sake of 50euro (Vietnam). I'd be one of the most generous people I know. But if I went visited home and even had like e20k in my bank account (not likely), I'd still bawk and e15 for a nice drink.

When does it just not matter anymore?

If the morgage was paid off and loans were paid off (ah sweet dreams) I say you would be okay. Even at 25K a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'm definitely not cheap and would happily buy a night out for a few people for the sake of 50euro (Vietnam)

Off on a tangent here but out of curiosity what would a 50€ night cover in Vietnam in terms of drink/food and for how many people?

Unfortunately I do not have a large bank balance so I cannot imagine ever getting to the stage where I wouldn't care about prices. It's engrained into people I think, the habit of checking prices and knowing your budgets.

Whereas for someone who were maybe born into money or never really understood the true value or the act of budgeting etc then they may not pay much attention to prices.

I.e In the future if I am in a position where I wouldn't need to be concerned about prices, I'd like to think that I still would check them and take note and still budget etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Balking. Not bawking.

Gangnam style, of course.

I tend not to look at prices in, say, Aldi. I do, however look at the prices in Hermes or a Porsche dealer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think judging the value of money has anything to do with people who go out every weekend and piss it up against the wall.

If you have 20k and keep thinking, sure i've bags of money, buying all this shíte and not watching how i'm spending isn't really gonna hurt.

I made the mistake once of doing something similar. Didn't have as much saved up, was 4/5k at the time. Ended up throwing it away within the space of 3 months, along with my wages within that period of time because I wasn't watching what I was doing. Was always thinking, ah feck it, I can get another 50 out by the ATM.

The worse bit is when you are just thinking, "it's only another 50 I need to take out."

Oh, Martingriff, it's doable on 25k, if you choose to live like a miser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Was always thinking, ah feck it, I can get another 50 out by the ATM.

The worse bit is when you are just thinking, "it's only another 50 I need to take out."

I've been there but was living at home at the time so it wasn't as bad! But all those small ATM withdrawals or laser payments soon add up!

Now I make sure I have an emergency fund of €1k just in case something ever went wrong.

Don't get me wrong I always find things that I could buy with the money or treat myself and I could spend it 10 times over very quickly but sense always prevails! I've dipped into it now and again for things but I always make sure to top it back up as soon as I'm paid!

Advertisement