Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic light junctions with turn filter light

• 23-11-2012 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

I hit this one going to work every day

http://goo.gl/maps/E1LHH

and it's a ****ing horrible light setup.

Straight ahead gets a green arrow and when the right turn filter light comes on, maybe 5 cars get thru and in the morning there's a massive backlog of cars trying to turn.

So on my wee lil 600, I pop up the inside and I will turn right if the pedestrian light on the right is red and there is no oncoming traffic even if there is no turn light.

Legalities aside I guess, being on a bike I can make the turn quicker and safer (imo) than a car would (based on cars being slow to move off in comparison to a bike) - do other folks do similar?

If the light timing were better I wouldn't need to. And don't get me started on the lights that don't work with the bike on the sensor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why do you need to break the law to make the turn? Just drive to the front of the queue., which you appear to be doing, and go when you get the filter light.

It would be a different story if it was a sensor light a bike can't trip, but there are plenty of cars on this junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why do you need to break the law to make the turn? Just drive to the front of the queue., which you appear to be doing, and go when you get the filter light.

It would be a different story if it was a sensor light a bike can't trip, but there are plenty of cars on this junction.

+1

I would go to top of the queue and wait for the light.

http://goo.gl/maps/E1LHH

If you spin the cam around maybe that's you going the other way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Please dont break the law, bikers get a bad enough rap without doing that. Just wait at the front of the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Personally I'd just do what Del2005 said, drive to the front and wait.
    If only 5 cars get through it doesn't matter cos you're at the front.

It's the lights that takes ages to change that really annoy me. If you turn right here: http://goo.gl/maps/WpqPm where the Neylon van is, you can be stopped at the lights for 5 minutes. Sometimes I think the light is broken it takes so long and there's no one coming in the other directions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Don't get me wrong guys, I don't blow thru the lights all the time. :)

If ya know the road and junction, most of the oncoming traffic turns left there yet there's not even a solid green light to let us turning right move if safe to do so. More annoying than anything else; hence I'll move on the green into the junction box and if the ped light isn't red and no traffic is coming, I'll move.

Cars, vans, taxis (who have cut me off to turn) - it's just a poxy set of lights for turning right at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kaimera wrote: »

If ya know the road and junction, most of the oncoming traffic turns left there yet there's not even a solid green light to let us turning right move if safe to do so. More annoying than anything else; hence I'll move on the green into the junction box and if the ped light isn't red and no traffic is coming, I'll move.

Cars, vans, taxis (who have cut me off to turn) - it's just a poxy set of lights for turning right at.
    Yeah, yeah, we know what you're like. Driving past the police station (or "bacon station" as you call it) beeping your horn and giving the fingers to the "pigs". Probably on your way to the local primary school to sell crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, we know what you're like. Driving past the police station (or "bacon station" as you call it) beeping your horn and giving the fingers to the "pigs". Probably on your way to the local primary school to sell crack.
    ****er, I actually lolled in the school office. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kaimera wrote: »

You shouldnt really be "blowing through" any junction at all.... your own safety and being alert for other road users.

Oh and that junction at Clontarf is a nightmare indeed.

The timming of the lights does not allow or compensate for such a large junction and then cars opposite getting the green light.

There was an accident there last month where a van had entered the junction as the lights had just turned red,and more or less immediately the other road got the grren light and a car T-Boned the van.

Serco need to come out and delay the timming of the traffic lights longer to allow for any traffic in the junction and yellow box to safely clear the junction.

paddy147 wrote: »

You shouldnt really be "blowing through" any junction at all.... your own safety and being alert for other road users.

The timming of the lights does not allow or compensate for such a large junction and then cars opposite getting the green light.

There was an accident there last month where a van had entered the junction as the lights had just turned red,and more or less immediately the other road got the grren light and a car T-Boned the van.

Serco need to come out and delay the timming of the traffic lights longer to allow for any traffic in the junction and yellow box to safely clear the junction.

The only thing that needs to be done to the junction is people remember the law. Green means proceed with caution, not floor it. A vehicle which has entered a junction on a green light has right of way, even if the lights have turned red on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Was the car driver blind? How can you not see something as big as a van right in front of you?? It makes me despair for what little hope we have of being seen.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only thing that needs to be done to the junction is people remember the law. Green means proceed with caution, not floor it. A vehicle which has entered a junction on a green light has right of way, even if the lights have turned red on them.

There is allways a steady line of traffic that takes that right hand junction.

Its a long and large junction and I see it on a daily basis that cars who have entered the junction and are turning get caught out by the speed of the lights changing.

Its green when you are going into the junction,but then its red and the green light for the other traffic is more or less activated.

They is no delay at all to allow any traffic allready in the junction and turning right to clear the junction safely.

Even a garda who I know in Clontarf Garda Station has said the same thing about that particular junction.

In his own words..."That junctions a fcuking nightmare most days".

Was the car driver blind? How can you not see something as big as a van right in front of you?? It makes me despair for what little hope we have of being seen.

Small dark blue Inca van to be precise...and 7pm in the evening,so it was dark

Its to do with the length/distance of the junction and the timming of the traffic light system on that entire junction.

You have to drive that junction to understand it...which my missus does on an allmost daily basis.

Kaimera is bang on the money here with regards that junction and traffic light system.....Its fcuking horrible in how its set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Small dark blue Inca van to be precise...and 7pm in the evening,so it was dark

Its to do with the length/distance of the junction and the timming of the traffic light system on that entire junction.

You have to drive that junction to understand it...which my missus does on an allmost daily basis.

Kaimera is bang on the money here with regards that junction and traffic light system.....Its fcuking horrible in how its set up.

I lived in Clontarf for a year, I know the junction well. No traffic light set up, time of the day or colour of vehicle excuses the kind of stupidity that makes a car driver hit a van sitting right in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Top of the que, wait for the green and blast it up the Alfie Byrne Road :D

I lived in East Wall when that road first opened, it was brilliant before the junction at the East Point Business Pk.. I used to imagine I was on the Craner Curves in Donington :cool:

There is allways a steady line of traffic that takes that right hand junction.

Its a long and large junction and I see it on a daily basis that cars who have entered the junction and are turning get caught out by the speed of the lights changing.

Its green when you are going into the junction,but then its red and the green light for the other traffic is more or less activated.

They is no delay at all to allow any traffic allready in the junction and turning right to clear the junction safely.

Even a garda who I know in Clontarf Garda Station has said the same thing about that particular junction.

In his own words..."That junctions a fcuking nightmare most days".

The people going on green when there is already a vehicle in the junction are wrong. The law is clear that green means proceed with caution, if they enter the junction then they have broken the law, that's how the vehicle in the junction gets clear.

No offence to the Garda, but a lot of them have less idea of the law than we do. If they sit at the junction for a few days enforcing the law motorists would soon stop breaking it. That includes 2 vehicles entering the junction to turn right and the vehicles entering when another vehicle has control of the junction. It's the fact that there is nearly zero enforcement of traffic laws, apart from DUI and exceeding the posted limit, which leads to the issue at the junction.

Advertisement