Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eel recipe?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I bought a cutlet of eel from the fishmongers last night to try . I've had smoked eel before but never cooked it from fresh.

Any suggestions? It seems ilke it would go well wtih lemon/cumin/rocket but am open to correction on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought a cutlet of eel from the fishmongers last night to try . I've had smoked eel before but never cooked it from fresh.

Any suggestions? It seems ilke it would go well wtih lemon/cumin/rocket but am open to correction on this.

Thanks
    Its must be Conger eel no? about 100m diameter if not bigger?
    I would make a curry from it, its very firm and holds together well.
    Or a Boullabaisse.
    Conger is a saltwater fish and unlike the freshwater eels that you can't get anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Yes, it is a conger eel. Had to google it to make sure.

I just bought a single cutlet rather than the whole eel so I don't know if I would curry it as there isn't very much of it. Would be a great idea but this time, I think I'd like it relatively simple so I can get a "taste" for the fish on its own, if you know what I mean :-)

I think maybe some kind of cucumber, cumin and tomatoe salad might be a good accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Conger is a saltwater fish and unlike the freshwater eels that you can't get anymore.
    They farm freshwater eels in some countries in Europe now. I've had eel quite recently in the Netherlands in a restaurant.

Alun wrote: »
    They farm freshwater eels in some countries in Europe now. I've had eel quite recently in the Netherlands in a restaurant.
    We had and still have a very good eel fishery here, but back a few years ago, the EU expressed concern that eel stocks in Europe weren't great.
    Our brilliant minister at the time a Mr John Gormley took the decision to close the Eel fishery and Eel angling.
    At a stroke putting plenty of businesses out of work.
    We were the only country in Europe to do so to such a degree.
    So You cannot fish eels here commercially or for angling purposes.
    Meanwhile the Turbines in Ardnacrusha makes lots of minced eel all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Cooked the eel but it was full of worms :eek:

Its quelled my adventerous side right now...

• Advertisement

Cooked the eel but it was full of worms :eek:

Its quelled my adventerous side right now...
    Thats odd, I didn't realise that Conger was subject to parasitic load.
    I wonder where the cutlet came from? Some parts of the fish are more prone than others to worm infection.

Advertisement