Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes Sacked and replaced by Harry Redknapp

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Cienciano wrote: »
    If Harry becomes manager it will make their relegation sweeter.

They'll be nowhere near relegation come the end of the season. I'd expect them to be in a very comfortable position by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

rossie1977 wrote: »
    when redknapp took charge of spurs they were also bottom, 5 goals scored and 2 points after 8 games

Big difference between that Spurs squad and this current QPR one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

please please please get relegated under Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

when redknapp took charge of spurs they were also bottom, 5 goals scored and 2 points after 8 games
    That means QPR are safe, very similar squad to Spurs when Harry took over. QPR have Bale, Bent, Lennon, King and Modric to help them get out of trouble :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

statss wrote: »
    please please please get relegated under Harry.

Is it confirmed he is taking the job then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Is it confirmed he is taking the job then?

dunno, looks likely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    They'll be nowhere near relegation come the end of the season. I'd expect them to be in a very comfortable position by then.

Nowhere near relegation?

Come on, if they stay up, there won't be much in it. Considering they've only 4 points, no wins and some really easy fixtures out of the way Harry has a massive job on his hands. A few tricky looking games are coming up too.

Unless they get two centre backs in January and some much needed team spirit, and will to win on the pitch, they'll be gone by April.

Even still, this may not be enough. Soton and Reading are finding life difficult in the PL but the latter have been unlucky in a few games and now they have their win they may start closing out games better. Norwich are now beginning to play more like last season and if they keep this up they'll be safe as houses.

It's early doors but I think QPR's best bet is if Villa don't strengthen in January and go on a severe goal drought. There's not as many standout relegation contenders like last season

But saying they'll be nowhere near relegation is nuts. Harry, the team and the fans know that this season's priority now is firmly staying up and then building next season. If they stay up by a point they'll bloody take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Nowhere near relegation?

Come on, if they stay up, there won't be much in it. Considering they've only 4 points, no wins and some really easy fixtures out of the way Harry has a massive job on his hands. A few tricky looking games are coming up too.

Unless they get two centre backs in January and some much needed team spirit, and will to win on the pitch, they'll be gone by April.

Even still, this may not be enough. Soton and Reading are finding life difficult in the PL but the latter have been unlucky in a few games and now they have their win they may start closing out games better. Norwich are now beginning to play more like last season and if they keep this up they'll be safe as houses.

It's early doors but I think QPR's best bet is if Villa don't strengthen in January and go on a severe goal drought. There's not as many standout relegation contenders like last season

But saying they'll be nowhere near relegation is nuts. Harry, the team and the fans know that this season's priority now is firmly staying up and then building next season. If they stay up by a point they'll bloody take it

We’ll have to disagree there, I understand the vast majority despise Redknapp. I think of him quite highly, even though in my opinion several QPR players are there for the pay packet rather than the club, the squad is pretty decent. So I stand by my initial comment, suppose we’ll see who’s right at the end of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

If you have 4 points from your first 12 games, you will be somewhere near relegation come May.

If he wins half of the available points remaining, they will finish on 43.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    We’ll have to disagree there, I understand the vast majority despise Redknapp. I think of him quite highly, even though in my opinion several QPR players are there for the pay packet rather than the club, the squad is pretty decent. So I stand by my initial comment, suppose we’ll see who’s right at the end of the season?

My comment isn't stemming from a dislike for Redknapp. Even if Mourinho or SAF took over they'd do incredibly well to have them in a "comfortable" position in May. QPR are in real trouble, we're not talking a standard top ten side with good quality having a bad season and being well capable of turning it around, we're talking a team who stayed up by the skin of their teeth and bought a new team of individuals who have failed to gel. Harry has a huge job on his hands, turning this side into a team is not going to happen overnight.

I can't see 3 teams going down as poorly as the three did last season. I'd write Soton off but as I've said Reading are well capable of sneaking a few results. Norwich seem to be hitting form.

It will take a big effort for the perceived low teams to stay up at the best of times but given QPR's start and circumstances, I think if they stay up at all it'll be only by a few points at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cienciano wrote: »
    That means QPR are safe, very similar squad to Spurs when Harry took over. QPR have Bale, Bent, Lennon, King and Modric to help them get out of trouble :pac:

yeah qpr don't have any decent players, they have a couple of players that played in recent champions league finals, most of those you listed spurs fans were not happy with before harry came in, qpr will be safe

but of course you can bump this thread at year end if i am wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hughes for Wales job pleeeeeaaaaase . Come home son, we have the kettle on and some chocolate bicys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

'Arry's first game is against us. Oh for **** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Paully D wrote: »
    'Arry's first game is against us. Oh for **** sake.

He hasnt been announced yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

yeah qpr don't have any decent players, they have a couple of players that played in recent champions league finals, most of those you listed spurs fans were not happy with before harry came in, qpr will be safe

but of course you can bump this thread at year end if i am wrong..
    There's a world of a difference between the 2. Jol finished 5th in the league with spurs 2 years in a row. That second fifth place finish was 15 months before harry took over.
    They were a consistent top 10 club before that. QPR are a completely different kettle of fish. Modric and Bale are probably worth about 5 league positions alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

3yr deal for Harry !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I don't understand all this hate for Harry or 'Arry as he is known to his mates, he's a diamond geezer, one of your own, a sound fella. Ok so he's a bit of a wheeler dealer but it's good to see a proper real English manager thriving in a premiership full of suave sophisticated continental foreigners or grizzly old Scots, sure wasn't he nailed on for the England job until the Taxman got in the way. Who can forget the standing ovation he got on the day he stayed on at Spurs. The premiership needs characters like him. Welcome back 'Arry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

The 65-year-old is the only candidate being considered for the job and can no longer be backed with Sky Bet, though he is not expected to take control until early next week.

In the meantime Hughes' assistants Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will be in charge for Saturday's trip to Manchester United.

Phew!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Has is been confirmed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As a spurs fan i have mixed feelings about 'Arry some great times under him but he dropped us like a hot ****cake once he thought he was in for a chance with Eng-er-land.

I think he can be a great motivator but he's tactically very niave and his overall career record is actually quite poor.

1983–1992 – Harry Redknapp manages Bournemouth
    2002 – Bournemouth relegated
    2008 – Bournemouth in administration , docked points and relegated
    1994–2001 – Harry Redknapp manages West Ham United
    2003 – West Ham relegated
    2009 – West Ham relegated
    2010 – West Ham saved from bankruptcy by £100m bailout by new owners
    ).[/I]

Ah here. 10 years after he left Bournmouth they are relegated and 6 years after that they are in administration. It's a bit of a stretchblaming Harry on that. Same with West Ham. Money issues 9 years after he left.

Edit, others got there first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think QPR will stay up,wont be much in it but I think Harry will get them playing,they should survive.QPR bottom 5 but they have enough quality in the squad and are better equipted than many of the lower teams .Southampton,Reading and Wigan are the three I expect to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Has is been confirmed yet?

No but it surely will be tomorrow, some frantic wheeling and dealing going on right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

I know it's not right to enjoy a man gettig sacked from his job but all things cosidered .. I really can't stand Mark Hughes. His arrogance far outweighs his actual performance as a manager. Apparently not well liked by his players either .... best of luck with that attitude (ego) in the future Hughes (if you....... sorry, your agent happens to find you work)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Same with West Ham. Money issues 9 years after he left.
    We also had money issues quite soon after he left.
    Can't understand why some people think QPR are definitely safe if Harry gets the job. They seem to forget that he got Southampton relegated just seven years ago.
    Also, while obviously the owners of the clubs he managed have to take responsibility for the mess they got into, Harry also should take some too. Buying John Utaka for 7 million and putting him on 80 grand a week was madness on his part.
    I was actually hoping QPR managed to stay up, but if Harry get's the job, that'll quickly change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Harry's been spotted driving towards the training complex already...

funny_flying_dog_640_05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I find it more reliable than twitter.

That depends on who you follow on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rosie is in for massive payday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

It's official now Harry signed a 2.5 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

while i don't have any particular love for harry myself, the premiership is a bit the richer for charachters like him. so long as he doesn't come to my club (liverpool) i think he should have a place in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

His team againsr Sunderland.

Cesar, Nelsen, Bosingwa, Mbia, Diakite, Traore, Hill, Taarabt, Mackie, Granero, Cisse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

First point on the board for Harry's lads.

First point on the board for Harry's lads.

Decent enough point but I can't help feeling QPR will have to start winning games like these to have any hopes of staying up. Anything but a win on saturday at home to Villa is very, very bleak indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Stopping Sunderland from scoring is one of the easier tasks Harry has to accomplish.

Advertisement