Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Draft, Qualifying Round: eagle eye v ASOT

• 23-11-2012 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This will be one of three qualifying matches which will decide who enters the last 16.

The match will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Best of luck.

Who wins? 19 votes

eagle eye
    0%
    ASOT
    100%
    RasTaBounty HunterChucky the treeGLaDOSFuzzy_DunlopbullvineAmiraniPj!eagle eyeMorzadecLiam OJax TellerManzoor14EathrinSirDelboy18Comic Book GuyG.K.IncognitoManFrancie Barrett 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eagle eye is not around at the moment but he sent me his write up and here it is:
    eagle eye wrote:
    abDLRNVajf.jpg

Before I start I just want to say good luck to my opponent ASOT.

My team:

Julio Cesar was rated by many as the best in world in 2010 and consistently has been rated amongst the top five at the position. I still think he is that good and I'm delighted to have him between the sticks.

I think my defence is the best in the draft. I have Jaap Stam who was selected on the PFA team of the year every full season he was at United. I think Robert Huth is the most underrated centre back in the EPL and in Riise and Ivanovic I possess two of the best full backs in the league

My midfield contains the best central midfielder in the Premier League, of that there is no doubt. I have Mark Noble beside him who has been impressive this season. On the left I have Zoltan Gera who has been flying in the West Brom team and on the other side is Damien Duff who looks better than ever since his retirement from international football.

My attack then is the impressive Michu and Benteke who has been lighting it up in a poor Aston Villa side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

ASOT
    Looks like Eagle eye thought he was playing Yurt by his write up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yeah i was just about to post that, il get around to my post in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Looks like Eagle eye thought he was playing Yurt by his write up .

Yep he said best of luck to Yurt at the start, I edited it. I hadn't read the rest of it, will delete the references to Yurt's team.

No harm done, he can write about ASOT'S team when he's online next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

abDL1QOanw.jpgabDL1W4afM.jpg

I just want to start by saying goodluck to eagle eye

Goalkeeper - Though not having the best of seasons this year its been seen time and time again that Hart puts in some outstanding performances, being one of the main reasons city wont the title last season. Most goalkeepers are of similar standard in the Premier League but i would tip Hart above the rest with a few being very very close.

Defense - Overall i think my defense is the weakest part of the team with buttner being the weakest player of my picks but has an ability to get forward and help the attack with demel dropping in to play three center backs. On the otherhand i have Skrtel who has been absolutely amazing for Liverpool the past two seasons along with him i have winston reid & guy demel who have been a revelation at west ham this season who currently sit 7th after a string of good performances. Along with my defenders i have two very good holding midfielders in Keane & Parker who are no strangers to giving a dig out to the defense. With all this being said in my opinion i have enough at the back to keep Michu & Benteke at bay.

Midfield - I would rate my midfield as being one of the midfields in the draft with the trio of Velcro Chest Fellaini who is on absolute fire this season with 6 and as many man of the match awards to match, he will be able to add some added force and creativity to my forward line aswell as holding his place in midfield when needs be, Then we have scott parker he has been out injured this season but no one can question his ability when fully fit. Last but no least we have Roy Keane, he will boss my midfield while providing a presence in the middle of the pitch. Again i feel this midfield would easily be able to keep Yaya & Noble at bay, even with the talent that Yaya is and the form that noble is in i just feel we would be able to smother them.

Forwards - I have two born goalscorers in Lambert & Defoe up front but i am arguably coming up against the strongest part of eagle eyes team. Between Lambert and Defoe this season they have 10 goals between them and they know how to find the net. Sessegnon who hasnt been the revelation he was last season has still be putting in some good performances for sunderland and bagged a goal last weekend which was well deserved. Along with buttner putting in some crosses and fellaini adding to the attack we will score goals. Even with the his strong defense i can still see his team leaking goals.

Main Concerns - I can see his two wide players causing me trouble but i feel my back three of reid,demel & skrtel would be good enough to handle any incoming crosses. But i do feel we would leak a goal because of how narrow my team plays.

For the above reasons i feel my team would run out a comfortable 3-1

Hopefully i done that right and i would like to say good luck to eagle eye again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

ASOT
    Eagle Eye to win even though i don't like Yaya so deep . I don't see any creativity in Asot team at all also his formtation makes no sense at all to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

ASOT
    Pretty tough to call this one - both teams fairly evenly matched.

Keane vs Yaya would be the big matchup here but it's probably hard to separate them.

Eagle Eye's attack isn't brilliant but that said ASOT's defence looks vulnerable.

Fellaini's main strength is his his strength - Eagle Eye has the players to counter this. It really is an incredibly physichal and solid backline he has.

This is maybe where I give him the edge. I struggle to see where the goals come from against a strong defence like that and I would expect a low-scoring game with maybe EE nicking it from a set-piece (although it has to be said that ASOT's team also contains a set-piece threat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ASOT
    I think against a lot of other teams ASOT would be better matched, great threat from set pieces but the physicality of EE's team would more than likely cancel that out. ASOT's team doesn't lack creativity, in fact I'd say it lacks a more solid defense. Now Keane and Parker would obviously help with that and with Fellaini he always has an outlet and Sessegnon when in form as he showed last week is a serious player. Still, EE has an extremely solid defense and CM and his attackers are good enough to nick a goal so going to go with him though if I was to bet on a game between these two it'd probably be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ASOT
    I'm giving the Victory to EE.
    Despite ASOT's powerful midfield, he will be horribly exposed on the flanks and I'd back Benteke to get his head on a few crosses.
    Low scoring game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

ASOT
    I think Ill have to go eagle eye.

His team looks to have a better shape to it. I can see what you are trying to do asot pushing butter up but there is very little coming from the right hand side. Your midfield of fellaini, keane and paker is about as good as it gets in this draft but looking at eagle his team is strong in defence and will be able to handle the lop sided attack asot has put together, eagle offers threat on both flanks and a fairly sound defence. Benteke and michu have been good signings for both their clubs and I think they will offer enough for eagle to sneak a win here.

Close but eagle for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ASOT
    Tough to one to call but I'd have to give it to EE looking at the line ups. Don't think ASOT has the defense to handle EE's team. It would be tough match though and like Liam I'd punt on a draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ASOT
    Personally I'd go for a draw on this one probably 1-1 but as there is no draw option this one is difficult. Most seem to be going for Eagle eye because his team have more width and therefore he could prosper in attack. This is an obvious weakness with ASOT's team but It could be argued that his strong CM would help his side dominate possession and thus give his attackers more of a base.

Neither attack particularly wows me considering some of those in the draft but its in defense that i'd give EE the nod withy quality like Stam & Ivanovic. Against ASOT's narrow side I would expect these boys to be less likely to conceed multiple goals and therefore id give EE the nod for a 2-1 win after extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

ASOT
    As much as I'd hate to go against a team with Roy Keane in it, I can imagine him being sent off early in frustration because of the complete lack of creativity in Asot's team. There's no width or ability to get the ball into the box, so the likes of Lambert and Fellaini would struggle. So I'm going for EE's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Keane would destroy the pea heart version of Yaya that's been playing lately. That's where the game would be won and lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

ASOT
    Before I start, I notice when reading ASOT's write up that he acknowledges his weaknesses and doesn't hyperbole the sh*t out of his write up. Props for that, because it's easy to do the opposite (I can be guilty of it myself)

Looking at this again, I have to say it is an extremely close game, closer than I had thought when I initially saw the matchup.

I think this would be a draw also, I'll have to say first.

There are problems with both teams - ASOT is incredibly narrow, and he lacks any sort of threat from the right. I also think Buttner is a big weakness and his team may end up relying too much on Sessegnon to create. As we have seen this season, that hasn't been happening - which will greatly hurt ASOT, as Sessegnon is key to getting Defoe involved and I can't see him being able to. I like his midfield - but i would like it more without Parker. I think a more creative CM would have been better as Keane and Fellaini can both get forward and get back also. Lambert and Defoe are an okay partnership but Defoe can often get isolated and I think Lambert's strength will be nullified by the physicality of the EE backs.

EE has a good defense, not one of the best in my view - I certainly don't view Huth as the most under rated CB in the league and I don't consider Riise to be among the top full backs. However Stam and Ivanovic are extremely solid and should keep out ASOT. The problem though is the rest of EE's team. Yaya has not been anywhere near his standards of last season and Keane would destroy him. Noble has been solid, there have been games where he has been impressive and others where he has been poor - so it evens out really. That being said I do like Michu and he offers a big goalscoring threat - but I can't see him shrugging off Scott Parker easily - especially when Parker has Keane and Fellaini around him. On the wings EE has sacrificed pace for intelligence - Duff and Gera have been good without being spectacular this season but they have no pace which will hurt EE, especially later. Benteke is powerful but I am yet to be convinced by his finishing - I just can't see where the goals are coming from.

However ASOT's formation is a bit all over the place and there isn't enough of a threat. Fellaini's drive won't be enough here, just like it hasn't been enough for Everton in recent weeks. You need more. While Keane would probably take the lead on the pitch and organise the team - I don't see a goal in ASOT. I'd go 0-0 but seeing as I am forced to pick a winner, I'll say Michu grabs a goal to nick it for EE, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

ASOT
    Before I start, I notice when reading ASOT's write up that he acknowledges his weaknesses and doesn't hyperbole the sh*t out of his write up. Props for that, because it's easy to do the opposite (I can be guilty of it myself)

Looking at this again, I have to say it is an extremely close game, closer than I had thought when I initially saw the matchup.

I think this would be a draw also, I'll have to say first.

There are problems with both teams - ASOT is incredibly narrow, and he lacks any sort of threat from the right. I also think Buttner is a big weakness and his team may end up relying too much on Sessegnon to create. As we have seen this season, that hasn't been happening - which will greatly hurt ASOT, as Sessegnon is key to getting Defoe involved and I can't see him being able to. I like his midfield - but i would like it more without Parker. I think a more creative CM would have been better as Keane and Fellaini can both get forward and get back also. Lambert and Defoe are an okay partnership but Defoe can often get isolated and I think Lambert's strength will be nullified by the physicality of the EE backs.

EE has a good defense, not one of the best in my view - I certainly don't view Huth as the most under rated CB in the league and I don't consider Riise to be among the top full backs. However Stam and Ivanovic are extremely solid and should keep out ASOT. The problem though is the rest of EE's team. Yaya has not been anywhere near his standards of last season and Keane would destroy him. Noble has been solid, there have been games where he has been impressive and others where he has been poor - so it evens out really. That being said I do like Michu and he offers a big goalscoring threat - but I can't see him shrugging off Scott Parker easily - especially when Parker has Keane and Fellaini around him. On the wings EE has sacrificed pace for intelligence - Duff and Gera have been good without being spectacular this season but they have no pace which will hurt EE, especially later. Benteke is powerful but I am yet to be convinced by his finishing - I just can't see where the goals are coming from.

However ASOT's formation is a bit all over the place and there isn't enough of a threat. Fellaini's drive won't be enough here, just like it hasn't been enough for Everton in recent weeks. You need more. While Keane would probably take the lead on the pitch and organise the team - I don't see a goal in ASOT. I'd go 0-0 but seeing as I am forced to pick a winner, I'll say Michu grabs a goal to nick it for EE, just.

Excellently put, agree with everything here. I also think it would probably be a drab 0-0, but give a slight edge to EE's team

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ASOT
    I voted for Eagle Eye, his team seems a lot more balanced, while ASOT's is very narrow. I think EE's team would hurt him out wide.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ASOT
    This is a close one, two very solid teams with strong midfields. Having said that, I think ASOT is just lacking too much in terms of width and creativity so I have to give it to eagle eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ASOT's side would boss the midfield while Buttner and Sessignon doubling up on the defensively suspect Riise would cause no end of problems down the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

ASOT
    Going with eagle eye to grab a narrow win here. ASOT's team is set up to without any width so that will effect their attacking threat. I think EE's team has enough going forward to grab a goal at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Giving this one to ASOT. I think eagle eyes midfield/defence is solid but I'm not impressed by his front 4. ASOTs team is just stronger as a unit, Keane Parker and Fellaini would make a really solid midfield and with Sess and Lambert behind Defoe, theres plenty of firepower. His defence is a bit suspect but with Hart in nets it just saves him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Going with ASOT. Not sure about his set up but I feel he has a lot more quality in midfield and up front. His defense is weak but Skrtel and Hart redeem that somewhat, Eagle Eye's attack isn't paticularly strong either in comparision to the rest of his team. While Eagle Eye's team is set up better, ASOT's has that bit more quality to get them over the line imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

ASOT
    ee for me although I'd predict a close game. ee has good solid players at the back plus the overall strength to score and put them just in front.

I see ASOT voted for himself. ee, get your vote in! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

ASOT
    Can't really fault anything that delboy said.

ASOT's disorganisation and lack of creativity really kills him, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

ASOT
    ASOT's midfield to dominate but dont see them scoring against EE'm mean defence. Back EE to nick it due to greater wing threat and ASOT'S full backs don't will me with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

ASOT for me, the midfield is where the game will be won and lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

two teams that would be a lot better if one or two players were improved, i'll give it to asot, just. Both attacks are poor enough in comparison to others in the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

ASOT for me, the midfield is where the game will be won and lost.

I've gone for ASOT as well. His defense is v weak... which is a concern but his midfield fellaini, keane and parker would be strong enough to win the game I think and while v narrow I think would dominate enough possession to create chances for Defoe and Lambert he has enough to just win this one for me.

Advertisement