Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel open in Limerick

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

This service will be music to the ears of all the Irish retailers who are already barely surviving and the retail staff who rely on those jobs to earn a living. So much for buying Irish and supporting local jobs and the economy, eh lads? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

28153076.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

diol07 wrote: »
    This service will be music to the ears of all the Irish retailers who are already barely surviving and the retail staff who rely on those jobs to earn a living. So much for buying Irish and supporting local jobs and the economy, eh lads? :rolleyes:

That is all well and good but why should I suffer higher prices to help someone else?

Frank but there you have it.

P.S. I buy locally when it is not a complete rip off compared to online.

+5% depending on the purchase would be ok. Usually it is +20% or more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

That's an ideal world theory. In an ideal world I'd have loads of spare dosh for discretionary spending and be able to suffer an extra 20% on the price in the name of supporting local business. Unfortunately, I don't live in an ideal world.

Will be using it to buy a gorillapod off Amazon UK later - 55 on Amazon, 89 or 99 in Conns Cameras in Dublin. Fook that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Can somebody please advise me here??
    I want to buy a large item weighing 30kg on ebay.
    Seller says it's courier £70 to Ireland or courier £ 20 to uk address.

Can I use parcel motel for this? I've no idea about it

please advise if you can at all
    june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

juneg wrote: »
    Can somebody please advise me here??
    I want to buy a large item weighing 30kg on ebay.
    Seller says it's courier £70 to Ireland or courier £ 20 to uk address.

Can I use parcel motel for this? I've no idea about it

please advise if you can at all
    june

This will explain your options and pricing https://www.parcelmotel.com/how-it-works/pricing-explained/

Beer Baron wrote: »
    28153076.jpg
    Oh ye're quite entitled to use it and benefit from it. I just find it amusing that some of the people who are lauding this service are some of the same people regularly lamenting business closures in the city, unemployment, or bitching about the state of the city centre in other threads on here :P

Ireland will always be considerably more expensive than the UK in every facet of life, from a pint to a pair of trainers to car insurance. The costs of doing business in the two is incomparable, not to mention the far higher footfall/population and thus volume sales that UK retailers have on their doorstep. Impossible to compete.

Oh ye're quite entitled to use it and benefit from it. I just find it amusing that some of the people who are lauding this service are some of the same people regularly lamenting business closures in the city, unemployment, or bitching about the state of the city centre in other threads on here :P

Ireland will always be considerably more expensive than the UK in every facet of life, from a pint to a pair of trainers to car insurance. The costs of doing business in the two is incomparable, not to mention the far higher footfall/population and thus volume sales that UK retailers have on their doorstep. Impossible to compete.

I'm glad you're amused but there is a difference between people being disappointed a member of staff is losing their job and guilt that people are happy to shop online to save money. If Brown Thomas decided to close the Limerick store it would be a sad day for the staff but nobody would be surprised why it is closing because their prices are over the top(clothing and homeware, perfume seems to be market value and I know little of makeup so maybe thats ok as well). Even the staff believe they are in a large "dressing room" because folks pick a size and go off and buy it online but there is a good reason for it:

I bought a pair of Ralph Lauren shoes on Ebay two days ago including shipping through Parcel motel for €49.23. The same shoes are for sale with Irish retailers for €85(Brown Thomas Limerick) in a store or €101 including shipping online. I don't really care for the reasons or excuses for them charging such a wild difference. I will take my business elsewhere and make no apology for it.

Should I have to wait for the big Brown Thomas sale so I can fight with people over the scraps the put out on the floor that they are trying to clear? Not if I can buy it online for even cheaper than their sale price.

The world has changed. Before you had to travel to Dublin to get good items because the world of E-Commerce had not yet arrived. My pocket thanks me for the changes I made but my deliveries don't come with a side of guilt and will never.

I bought a Dell Laptop 2 weeks ago built in the chicken factory of Foxconn in China(where they make iPhones). I suppose people will tell me I bought from the Devil and have taken Turkeys from the children of Limericks mouths next. :D

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I'm glad you're amused but there is a difference between people being disappointed a member of staff is losing their job and guilt that people are happy to shop online to save money. If Brown Thomas decided to close the Limerick store it would be a sad day for the staff but nobody would be surprised why it is closing because their prices are over the top(clothing and homeware, perfume seems to be market value and I know little of makeup so maybe thats ok as well). Even the staff believe they are in a large "dressing room" because folks pick a size and go off and buy it online but there is a good reason for it:

I bought a pair of Ralph Lauren shoes on Ebay two days ago including shipping through Parcel motel for €49.23. The same shoes are for sale with Irish retailers for €85(Brown Thomas Limerick) in a store or €101 including shipping online. I don't really care for the reasons or excuses for them charging such a wild difference. I will take my business elsewhere and make no apology for it.

Should I have to wait for the big Brown Thomas sale so I can fight with people over the scraps the put out on the floor that they are trying to clear? Not if I can buy it online for even cheaper than their sale price.

The world has changed. Before you had to travel to Dublin to get good items because the world of E-Commerce had not yet arrived. My pocket thanks me for the changes I made but my deliveries don't come with a side of guilt and will never.

I bought a Dell Laptop 2 weeks ago built in the chicken factory of Foxconn in China(where they make iPhones). I suppose people will tell me I bought from the Devil and have taken Turkeys from the children of Limericks mouths next. :D
    Typical Irish attitude. Aren't you the same man who has claimed that your other half used to run a footwear store in town before it closed? Well if that's the case, you sure have a very strange view of how retail works. Ralph Lauren shoes for €49.23 - that wouldn't even cover the COST price of those shoes if you include shipping & UK VAT. Basic knowledge of margins would tell you that. So you've bought those from a seller either selling at below cost, or at cost or it could very possibly be that you've bought one of the many counterfeit copies of this brand that are everywhere online these days, albeit good quality it has to be said. I work in the industry and we've been offered Ralph and countless other brands, including the famous Christian Louboutin, multiple times this year, unsolicited, by Chinese suppliers - all counterfeit/copies. Usually if it's too good to be true, it is (I even know of one retailer in Limerick who was selling fake Louboutins at tasty prices a year or two ago). In any case, do you honestly expect Irish retailers to sell you products at a loss or at no profit? Would you expect to walk in to a pub and be fed and served at cost? Would you work for free?

A lot of those UK online stores are small/medium warehouse operations out in the middle of nowhere with 3/4 staff and little overheads. Many of them are one man operations. A lot of the ebay operations are selling counterfeit product - big brands do not supply small/medium ebay operators. You cannot expect any retailer on the high street to compete with that. Have you even any idea of the cost of rent, rates and wages in this country? To open a branded fashion store in Limerick City tomorrow morning in a decent location, you'd be looking at rent+rates of €160k to €190k per annum, a minimum stock holding of €250k per annum (and €250k wouldn't get you much) plus on top of that the inflated wages of Irish workers. Not to mention the other rip off overheads such as broadband, telephony, energy and heating. Compare that to your man working out of his shed on ebay and there's no comparison. You can't just flippantly say you do not care for reasons or excuses and accuse Irish retailers of ripping people off when they are not doing that. Comparing them to someone selling product at cost or possibly selling counterfeit stuff is not really a fair comparison as neither of those is a realistic option for any retailer.

I know you don't give a $hite about where you get the product as long as you pay as little as possible for it. That's fine, more power to you. But if everybody starts doing what you're doing, don't expect any recovery in Limerick City and don't be moaning when the city centre is full of scumbags with their pants tucked inside their socks and the place continues to look like a shell. If people continue to support the British economy, it's the British who will ultimately benefit, not you, you're neighbour or Limerick. "I'm unemployed/there's no jobs out there/ the government are *****/town is depressing/this country is f**ked bla bla bla, but hey at least I got these deadly trainers for half nothing on ebay!" :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Typical Irish attitude.

Rubbish, lazy, patronising stereo-type. Cop on to yourself.

• Advertisement

Yes my partner worked in a shoe shop. Yes, they closed. They are still open in Limerick. They downsized because of the rent and slowing of the market.

Regarding margin. I fully understand the concept or margin but how can we know the margin without knowing their cost price.

No it wasn't eBay either, it was Office who I bought from so never going to be fake.

I'm staying in a hotel in limerick tonight, having a meal in town and spending money in pubs tonight so I AM supporting te economy. Had I decided to support Brown Thomas with my shoe purchase I wouldn't be able to go out tonight.

I decide who has the best value and with respect to my shoe purchase ill be damned if I'm spending €50 more in Limerick just because others think I should not be spending my money with the British.

Oh yeah, haha. I doubt by shopping local will stop people walking around with their tracksuits tucked into their socks.

Also writing this from the city centre where I'm shopping local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'm buying stuff that I was never going to pay the price asked for in Limerick, so its no loss to the local economy, as they were never getting that money to begin with.

Rubbish, lazy, patronising stereo-type. Cop on to yourself.
    Bite me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

I have no shame. I have bought online and used the fantastic Parcel Motel. I also buy local and locally produced foods. Working unsocial hours and other responsibilities means not being able to traipse the shops and dealing with some snotty shop assistants. I pay my taxes. I have no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

Have you even any idea of the cost of rent, rates and wages in this country? To open a branded fashion store in Limerick City tomorrow morning in a decent location, you'd be looking at rent+rates of €160k to €190k per annum, a minimum stock holding of €250k per annum (and €250k wouldn't get you much) plus on top of that the inflated wages of Irish workers. Not to mention the other rip off overheads such as broadband, telephony, energy and heating.

Now that you have identified the problem, maybe you could do something about fixing it. Most of the costs identified are state imposed costs and the irony is that taxpayers money is being used to keep these costs high e.g. Nama hoarding property preventing prices and rent falling to their natural level. the failure to tackle upward only rent reviews, bailing out zombie banks that impose more costs on business. Had they been left to burn their loan book would have been sold for cents in the euro and the buyer would have been able to write down unsustainable debt

So by consumers reducing the tax they pay to Gov, they are reducing Governments ability to impose more costs on small business in Ireland and more thought would be invested in spending reducing taxes more carefully.

Consumers are doing their bit, what are retailers doing????? Why don't you have a one or two day strike each week in protest to the costs you have outlined? This will further effect tax revenues with little effect on consumers as long as they have been given notice.

The only way the Gov will take notice is if you stand and give them a kick where it hurts and that is through revenue which funds their extortionate wages pensions and polices that hurt YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Thread has gone well off topic, and as such is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement