Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinique skin consultation - not happy

• 23-11-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So I was looking for a new moisturiser in House of Fraser yesterday and the sales assistant offered me a skin consultation. I thought, great, and she proceded to examine my skin and ask me the usual questions. I told her I have combination skin to the extreme, very dry, very sensitive cheeks, but a very oily and acne prone chin (especially at certain times of the month). She told me that my skin wasn't "that" dry (yeah, right) and that I just need to use an exfoliator for the flaking. She then plonked down 3 bottles on the counter, the cleanser, toner and moisturiser and said that she recommended these products (not saying what type of skin they were designed for). I said I'd just take the moisturiser today to see how I found it, and bought the smallest size.
    So, I took the stuff home, lathered it on to try it out and my cheeks flared up bright red and got very hot and tight all of a sudden. The redness went down after a few hours but my skin still felt really dry and tight, like I'd been sunburnt. Now obviously I don't want to continue using this moisturiser, so my question is, am I entitled to an exchange if I go back? I clearly told the sales assistant that my cheeks were sensitive, and after looking on the clinique site there's plenty of oil-free, sensitive skin suitable moisturisers she could have offered me. The one I got was the dramatically different oil-free gel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

So I was looking for a new moisturiser in House of Fraser yesterday and the sales assistant offered me a skin consultation. I thought, great, and she proceded to examine my skin and ask me the usual questions. I told her I have combination skin to the extreme, very dry, very sensitive cheeks, but a very oily and acne prone chin (especially at certain times of the month). She told me that my skin wasn't "that" dry (yeah, right) and that I just need to use an exfoliator for the flaking. She then plonked down 3 bottles on the counter, the cleanser, toner and moisturiser and said that she recommended these products (not saying what type of skin they were designed for). I said I'd just take the moisturiser today to see how I found it, and bought the smallest size.
    So, I took the stuff home, lathered it on to try it out and my cheeks flared up bright red and got very hot and tight all of a sudden. The redness went down after a few hours but my skin still felt really dry and tight, like I'd been sunburnt. Now obviously I don't want to continue using this moisturiser, so my question is, am I entitled to an exchange if I go back? I clearly told the sales assistant that my cheeks were sensitive, and after looking on the clinique site there's plenty of oil-free, sensitive skin suitable moisturisers she could have offered me. The one I got was the dramatically different oil-free gel.

I don't know if going back to the store would achieve anything or if it would get you a refund or exchange. It really depends on the brands policy. I recommend copying and pasting your post into an email to Clinique customer services.

Your post made me smile though. I was in my local Boots superstore yesterday and it was mobbed! Except for the Clinique counter. As I was going to Clinique I thought way hey!!
    The counter is in front of the products, so you have to go through the SA. Who was sitting painting her nails.
    I explained I was looking their Airbrush concealer pen but had never used it before so needed help with shade.
    She looked up and suggested the shade " neutral fair ". Then pointed and said "could you get one from there"?
    I said that I would like to test it was the right shade. She again pointed and said the testers are over there and the mirror is there. All the while she was blowing her nails!
    She was right with the shade but jaysus!! At least I avoided the hard sell you get at MAC or Benefit. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clinique offer a free refund if you are allergic to a product.

Obviously don't take the mick and bring back an almost empty bottle.

I've done it a few times (brought back a rarely used product close to when I bought it) and gotten a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

I would definitely bring it back as its not suitable for your needs and you informed her of your skin type. For the record i know of a heap of people who have had reactions to Clinique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I know that it's difficult to return cosmetic here in Ireland but we are protected by statutory rights. Regardless of the brands policy these hold. Also regardless of you telling the sales assistant that you have sensitive skin, you wouldn't expect that reaction from a cream. Definitely ask for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dwellondreams

Thanks everyone! Took it back and she gave me a refund, no questions asked! Got a much more helpful sales assistant this time too and actually managed to find a moisturiser that does suit my skin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I reacted in the exact same way to the 3 steps but find their make up brilliant.
    Really glad that they sorted it our for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That's great op! Good that they resolved it for you no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i like their moisturisers but avoid their other skin products (i usually buy it in the states where it is a third of the price!)... i stopped using their cleanser lotion for combination skin which i was recommended to buy-
    wanna know why?
    it dripped down the side of the bottle onto the mantel over my fireplace and MELTED it! Bear in mind this has had alcohol from drinks up there, dribbles of hot wax, bears the heat coming from the fire and been cleaned and scrubbed with a variety of products... theres no WAY i would put that on my skin ever again!

Advertisement