Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to conceive number two?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Just got my period after having my baby. Was surprised to get it back within six months as I've been breastfeeding. We hadn't been using anything before now to prevent another pregnancy. We'd like our children close in age so plan to not use anything from now on. I've really long cycles (40+ days) and despite using ovulation sticks before I got pregnant I never managed to pinpoint ovulation. At an early scan on the pregnancy the sonographer pointed out I had eggs ready to go on on ovary and said I looked pretty fertile. So not majorly worried about that side of things, but wondering what the average is for people to conceive a second or subsequent child.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

How long is a piece of string! There are so many factors here - how old are you, your partner's fertility etc. Some women manage to get pregnant before they ever have their first period following pregnancy - Irish twins, anyone? - and for others it can take ages. I was pretty fertile, didn't get a period until 9 months after baby No.1 because of breastfeeding, started ttc when our first was 14 months and it took about 6 months more to conceive No.2. If you're ready, go for it, but don't be surprised if it takes a while (or if it happens straight away!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Took me 1&1:2 yrs for number one - and 2 weeks for no. 2....!! We decided to start trying 4 months after her birth and I hadn't even had a period - still haven't and now 17 weeks!!! So be prepared for that!!! We did tho know all the tricks we didn't know first time around - like to use preseed and about keeping it regular! As I didn't know if I was even ovating as no period I bought the clear blue fertility monitor - it showed up positive for ovulating for 8 days in a row... I just thought it was a piece of rubbish - turns out it was detecting the pregnancy!
    Good luck!! :)

Advertisement