Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel motel in kilkenny?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Im sure ye all have heard about this service by now, it allows you to get stuff off websites that ship only to UK locations, down south. But im wondering if anyone knows of any of these motel locations in kilkenny yet?

I saw theres a station set up on at the side of the topaz shop on the waterford road, beside lidl, but nothing on the website about it, so not sure if its up and running yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Parcel Motel is now live & operational at the Topaz petrol station (LIDL & Aldi roundabout) on the Waterford Rd.

For those new to the concept, it's greatest selling point imo is that it provides you with your own specific NI postal address for online purchases from the UK. So you can now avail of considerably cheaper postal rates and also access retailers such as John Lewis and many others, who currently don't offer delivery to ROI. After your parcel reaches the NI address, it's then shipped to the Parcel Motel in Kilkenny, where you're alerted to its arrival by email or text. You then have 48hrs to collect it, by entering a unique code texted to you on the Parcel Motel locker touchscreen.

The whole operation is run by Nightline couriers. First 2 'stays' are free, €3.50 thereafter.

https://www.parcelmotel.com/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698663

ParcelMotelAherns.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Delighted they are here, shame I don't have any money to buy stuff to send to it. Very handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Never heard of it till now. Seems like a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 iAmMine

It's all set up for to be used now, going ordering some presents to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Brilliant move, was on Ebay last night and the number of sellers who will not post to Ireland for some unknown reason, well we won't have to worry now.
    In truth I do not understand why our bit of Ireland should be singled out, well no more my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If they couldn't be bothered posting to Ireland then I don't buy from them.
    I buy stuff from Germany now, most sellers on ebay.de will post to all of Europe, google translate does most of the work.

Never thought of that but how do you get into Germany? appreciate some expert knowledge, remember you are dealing with a well known dumbo
    regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Never thought of that but how do you get into Germany? appreciate some expert knowledge, remember you are dealing with a well known dumbo
    regards Foxy

ebay.de

Or a Ryanair flight from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Join FG !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

so this is basically like a po box?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

miece16 wrote: »
    so this is basically like a po box?

Basically, you order stuff in Europe/uk that don't normally ship to Ireland, they delivery to a Northern Ireland address you give them, its then redirected to the parcel motel.

This allows you to order stuff you normally can't in Ireland :D

Watch the show it works video

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kk23

used it lately , its great , works perfectly just remember the location of the boxes is the gable end of the topaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

This is going to be a kick to the nads for An Post, they could have been offering this kind of service for years. Instead they stuck with the old dedicated PO boxes that have annual charges, totally impractical for occasional on-line shopping.

Of course, however surely the problem is that we are moving forward at such a rate old people cannot readily adjust to these new innovations.
    The concept is brilliant long may it continue.
    However I am sure some dumbo is going to castigate one and all for using EBay, what about the Irish shops?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what about the Irish shops?

So in one post you say how brilliant the idea is and how you want help using it so you can buy stuff from Germany, on the other you ask about how it'll affect Irish shops.

Surely someone so concerned about the affects on Irish shops shouldn't be using such a service as parcel motel or even ordering stuff on ebay....after all what about the Irish shops?

:rolleyes:

Wow there, who said what? I reckoned it was brilliant, but added some dumbo would come in and castigate us,using what about the Irish shops as a weapon.
    Somehow I think you got hold of the wrong end of the stick my friend, it may well be the way I write.
    I looked at the German Ebay and even when translated couldn't make head nor tail, so will stick to our nearest trading partner UK, and one can pop into Topaz on the way to LIDL's, achtung ya.
    Have a nice day, Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Its not just for deliveries to a UK postal address, also for someone who won't be home during the day to take in a delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Saw a dog sniffing around there earlier,my drugs must be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

However I am sure some dumbo is going to castigate one and all for using EBay, what about the Irish shops?

I say to that dumbo to lower your f-in prices to something reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Just to say, picked up my first parcel using the service this morning and was very impressed. I was slightly worried it would add a delay in the delivery process, but the item was dispatched from Amazon Monday night, and arrived in the parcel motel this morning. Very quick, and in fairness, good value too at €3.50 considering the retailer shipped free to UK.

Think I'll be using this a lot more considering how poor some of the Amazon traders are at shipping to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Excellent, I didn't know about this. Only this week I could have saved twenty quid on postage, and more, because of the first two being free.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

just on how to order items to go to the motel....

when ordering i can use the armagh address as if it were my own and just add my PM ID after my name or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

El Spearo wrote: »
    just on how to order items to go to the motel....

when ordering i can use the armagh address as if it were my own and just add my PM ID after my name or what?

Antrim ;) or Dublin address depending if it is cheaper to ship to NI address.

So,

Name
    PMXXXXX
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

woops! :P

ah right so the first line of the address is my ID..i was wondering how they knew to send it to kilkenny! haha...

like im looking to get me sister perfume from the perfume shop who only deliver to the uk...
    ...like...am i mad to expect this to be on time for xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,554 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

You might be lucky - there's loads of extra staff on, right now. I've found the pre-Xmas deliveries (in general) to be as good, if not better than some other times of the year.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

woops! :P

ah right so the first line of the address is my ID..i was wondering how they knew to send it to kilkenny! haha...

like im looking to get me sister perfume from the perfume shop who only deliver to the uk...

I think this really comes down to how quick the perfumeshop are at dispatching. As I said above, I had stuff dispatched to me Monday and Tuesday night, and they were here Thursday and Friday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Used this for the first time at the end of last week. Got an item from a uk store who sent it on Friday to the Northern Ireland address and on Saturday at 2.40am I received a text saying parcel was available for collection. Brilliant service

went for the old pop into touch approach and got myself a massive discount on it as the chemist wasnt shifting the items as much as they hoped...

what about the irish shops...well if they start copping on like this they are grand :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Used Parcel Motel for the first time today, brilliant service, ordered something from Amazon with free delivery on the 23rd and it was delivered today, fantastic. Certainly won't object to paying the €3.50 after my 2 free visits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Just wondering if any other folks are currently experiencing delays in having their parcels show up - If so, what is / was your wait time?

Mine was scanned in Newtownabbey 3 days ago but it's still showing as 'In Transit' on the website. I know some motels elsewhere are under pressure due to the sheer volume of packages inbound for Chrismas & their website currently states 'If your Parcel is 'InTransit', please allow up to 48 hours to receive your PIN during the month of December'.

Advertisement