Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Arts Theatre for Tramore

Options
  • 23-11-2012 2:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1. Change of use of residential accommodation and alterations at 10 Queen Street to create an arts centre/theatre office and theatre associated accommodation and redevelopment to the rear of 10 Queen Street, including the former rackets court and part of an area to the rear, to provide a 216 seat theatre on three levels; 2. Change of use of permitted office accommodation at 11 Queen Street to ancillary bar accommodation associated with 12 Queen Street (Victoria House) and alterations at 11 Queen street including the removal of the front and rear walls at the ground floor level to create a arched gated access through to a new courtyard with pedestrian access to the aforementioned proposed theatre and 12 Queen Street and an extension at the rear of 11 Queen Street at first floor level to provide access and toilets accessible to the proposed theatre. 3. Alterations and extensions to 12 Queen St. (Victoria Hse) comprising internal alterations, demolition of toilets and sun lounge and the provision of a new bar and lobby extension at basement level, extension of bar/diner at ground floor level including a new external bar terrace and internal alterations and layout at first floor level at 10 and 11 and 12 Queen Street (protected structure)

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=12425&LASiteID=0

In summary, some of the houses beside The Vic are now up, again, for redevelopment. The intention is to construct a 216 seat theatre on three levels, extension to the Vic itself. Some of the buildings are protected structures.

If this goes ahead, it would provide a nice boost to businesses in the area and a timely one at that. But, I suspect the local residents wont be happy as it will increase the noise, footfall and traffic to the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Wow, that's very interesting, I heard about this recently but thought it was just a crazy rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Could you elaborate on how this would boost the business in that area please?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Wow, that's very interesting, I heard about this recently but thought it was just a crazy rumour.
    A crazy idea, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Not the best street in the world to be having the entrance to a theatre, not to mention no carpark nearby!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Could you elaborate on how this would boost the business in that area please?

Boost in footfall should see other businesses picking up the slack. Its quiet enough at the moment so if we have a pickup in the number of people in the town, everyone should hopefully benefit.

• Advertisement

It would be great to Have a Garter Lane style theatre in Tramore but I am afraid that it would not get the support needed to sustain it. I don't see too many businesses in close proximaty getting any additional footfall either because people do not have the disposable income anymore. As also pointed out, parking is limited on Queen St so that does not help.

Maybe a night out at the Theatre coupled with an early bird meal from either the Vic or Vee Bistro for a reasonable charge might work but could it sustain it full time is my fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Parking is not an issue as you can park on nearly every street in the town centre, or in the Priest Road or SuperValu car parks.

Parking is not an issue as you can park on nearly every street in the town centre, or in the Priest Road or SuperValu car parks.

Thats true but us Tramore folk dont like to walk unless its to the pub :D

Could they change the plans to make it a drive in ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ethan Edwards

This sounds great and I'd love it go ahead. I was at Tommy Teirnan in The Grand in September and while the gig itself was great The Grand itself isnt suited to it, some of the seats where in terrible places with a bad view,it was bloody roasting, it was also very cramped and the wait at the bar before the gig and during the break was horrible. The demand for tickets for the gig also shows that if the acts are of the right quality then people will find the money to attend them.

People complaining about parking do you really drive everywhere you go and then park outside the door? There are 2 or 3 carparks within less then five minutes walk.The bus terminus is a 60 second walk away.

Bars,resturants, taxi's and even cahills would see extra business form something like this. The people of Tramore need to show the same balls as the people behind this venture and not throw road blocks in their way. Sure the residents down there might have legitimate concerns about noise levels and late night activity down there but I'm sure this can be controlled some what under the licensing of this venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Dont forget the supervalue carpark thats literaly around the corner if you walk down the steps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Good idea hope it goes well and gets planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Not the best street in the world to be having the entrance to a theatre, not to mention no carpark nearby!

That's not a problem in Wexford.

Advertisement