Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMRA Season 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Djouce along the way is generally soft and squigy, so a fall there isn't too bad. I always seem to snot myself on the off camber bits no matter what shoes I wear. May have to spark out the pink socks again this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey guys

Can I care to ask what runners your typical trail / mountain runner wears? Any recommendations? Planning on doing the Dublin Mountain Plod so want to buy a suitable pair soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The mountain plod is mostly on road and hard packed forest trails so you'll only need road shoes, there's only a short muddy section really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Dunebuggy wrote: »

With the heavey rain forecast it Djouce at speed would be tough in Road Runners - but when doing the Ultra - that Djouce descent is a small part of the overall race.

'Djouce at speed' isn't something I need to worry about :),

but I will need trail shoes to get UP Djouce on outward leg never mind coming down on way back!

jb-ski wrote: »
    but I will need trail shoes to get UP Djouce on outward leg never mind coming down on way back!

You throwing in a trip to the summit just for the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

jeffontour wrote: »
    You throwing in a trip to the summit just for the craic?

maybe on Sunday..............

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Dont forget the Social - Kick off is at 8.00 pm.

Perfect place to find someone that will appreciate your tail of woe from the days raceing and to learn why some of the racers were wearing Pink compression socks !!

Your Ticket intitles you to a Pint of Beer, Stout OR a Glass of Wine OR A Hot Whiskey OR a Mineral plus we will be providing food Platters.

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Your Ticket intitles you to a Pint OR a Glass of Wine

I'll have the pint of wine please.

Pretty sure I'll be steering clear of the hot whickey, whatever the f*^k it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Some pics from last year’s race http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/photos/id/944/ Take a look so you can imagine the views tomorrow ;)

It’s going to be a tough tough race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck all, have a blast. One day I will make it to the ultra here. One day...

Well, that was a beast of a race. Conditions were something else. Couldn't believe the amount of snow up there, it completely covered the boardwalk in places. Made for an epic couple of hours. One mis-step would send you tumbling into the white, ending up sprawled in a foot of icy water.

How did the ultras get on? Fair play to anyone who decided to come out for round two at the turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Vitamin T

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    How did the ultras get on? Fair play to anyone who decided to come out for round two at the turnaround.

I decided to give the ultra a bash. Thought it'd be a nice intro into ultra running considering it's not too much longer than a marathon so shouldn't be too a big a step up. Boy was I wrong! My quads decided they'd had enough just after the turnaround which meant walking was the only option for all the remaining climbs. This made for a particularly chilly return up and around Djouce!

Even though the conditions were awful in parts I have to say I still had a hugely enjoyable day. Most of the time! And sure with receiving such a lovely mug at the end, who wouldn't be delighted to cross the finish line!

Hitting the turn around at Ballinastoe was a bit of a mental challenge knowing what you were going to run back into - I was really starting to wonder what leg damage could be done on the way back.

Coming out was far worse than heading back in my opinion - Their was a clear compacted path on the way back which made running and concentration a bit easier. The wind also was going the right direction :-)

Trail or Ultra it was an pretty tough race and a well done to all who completed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Well, that was a beast of a race. Conditions were something else. Couldn't believe the amount of snow up there, it completely covered the boardwalk in places. Made for an epic couple of hours. One mis-step would send you tumbling into the white, ending up sprawled in a foot of icy water.

On the day itself, I did not think the conditions were too bad. If we had hail or heavy driving rain on Djouce, combined with a serious wind chill, it would have been very nasty and dangerous. The damage was done by the amount of snow and rain which fell on the mountain on the previous days. I still found it very uncomfortable trying to ascend through the slush and melting snow on the off-road section, and did not manage anything better than an un-coordinated lurch on frozen feet. Would this have been one of the rare occasions when a Gore-Tex shoe might have been optimal (warmer and keeping the melting snow out)? I had a pair of Salomon 3D Ultra GTX shoes at home and I was sorry afterwards that I did not use them.

I had the same issue with frozen feet at the shoulder of Djouce. People were dropping like flies coming around it, it became funny at one stage as there were people behind me cheering every time it happened, mixed in with the odd shriek and cry. When I went down I went onto my knees, bloody freezing and the water hidden under the slush was way above ankle deep. It took me a while to get going on the descent as with frozen feet I couldn't really feel the lie of the ground under them and it was a bit sore on the firmer ground, but on the slush it wasn't too bad as I could go in heel first and slide. However they warmed up soon enough and was grand for the rest of the race.

I reckon had I been wearing gortex shoes it would have taken even longer as the water wouldn't be draining out as quick.

But a great race, was pretty sure I was going to be beat my previous time but the conditions had something to say about that for everyone, times were a lot slower than previous years. I enjoyed the conditions around Djouce, got a bit hairy as previously mentioned on the shoulder as you didn't have a clue what may be under your foot. And the snow on Prince William Seat meant you could almost relax knowing that people weren't going to risk going around you on the snow that hadn't already been trodden on and everybody just kept in single file. A good few were well shattered by then, even walking on the descent. I hit a bit of a wall at Curtlestown and a good few of us in a similar state hiked up Prince William Seat scoffing chocolate.

Here's a vid of going up Djouce that the guy from Running Holidays Ireland took for anyone that may want to know what they missed

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=431960363557626

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

New application form online this morning and already 9 forms are in. Methinks some people are hand delivering to the Race Director's gaff. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Gerry Hat Trick

New application form online this morning and already 9 forms are in. Methinks some people are hand delivering to the Race Director's gaff. :p

Unconfirmed reports that the Gardai were called to investigate suspicous characters loitering outside Stuart's house on Tuesday morning. Suspected to be IMRA elites as the Gardai motorcycle could not catch them. No firm descriptions yet except that one was wearing a Boards jersey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

There may have been some AthenryAc members loitering too although we`ll have to wait and see the entrants list....;)....crossing everything anyhow!!!

• Advertisement

Magnet wrote: »
    There may have been some AthenryAc members loitering too although we`ll have to wait and see the entrants list....;)....crossing everything anyhow!!!

If you don't get in there is always the solo end to end event ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

There are nearly always enough places available for individual runners. the drop out rate in the final few days always surprises me (I'm easily surprised) :)

We could really do with about 3 more changeover fields and then the event would be viable for 60 teams.

1 - Start in St. Columbas
    2- Change at a (currently imaginary) field about 500m further on than Curtlestown
    3 - There is a bigger parking area at the edge of ballinastoe - at the bottom of the steep road and before you turn off the road
    4 - Fine
    5 - Fine
    6 - The new house apparently has a parking area that could be used, otherwise another imaginary field 500m further on)
    7 - another field a few hundred metres before the old bridge changeover would be great)
    8 - Fine

And as Cormac pointed out, there's plenty of availability in the other relays :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Anyone interested in putting a team together for the Leinster League?

I should be around for the first nine races as the final one but I'll miss three as I'll be in the US for the Western States 100 miler. Wouldn't mind putting together a team that could challenge for top ten.

robbicosta wrote: »
    Anyone interested in putting a team together for the Leinster League?

I should be around for the first nine races as the final one but I'll miss three as I'll be in the US for the Western States 100 miler. Wouldn't mind putting together a team that could challenge for top ten.

As Boards? Some of us run listing Boards as our club in an informal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Was anyone at the Glacial Lakes today? I'm curious as to how the runners got on; it looked like a messy sort of day to be up there!

• Advertisement

Well I heard that there was at least one runner went a bit awol on leg 1 leading to a return to the start to try and find their way again!

I think Enduro was leading last I heard.

sounds like it was very Challenging. Results and Report -

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/report/id/1063/

Enduro, Walsh Family and 3 Solos finishing together, who seemed to cover the last 2 legs together. Safety in Numbers It sounded pretty drastic out there with a few people going astray under very poor visability. The rain and wind seemed to be relentless accross wicklow yesterday - one could run past the cyclists going up hill around lough Tay :-)

Well done to everyone who completed the race!! Tough as!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Good luck to all Leinster Leaguers tonight in Bray! The weather is a bit better than last year's :)

great showing by Boardsies in the results. Well done Enduro, Mothman and Gohard (where the hell were ya :D?)

Looking forward to next Weds. The Scalp is near to certain other boardsies so they might make an appearance - take the hint Krusty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I didn't race the downhill and got passed by about 5 but I ran fairly well till then. Got important races coming up, so am taking 100% option on descents and I didn't tape the ankles. Thought it was a bigger turnout with 100+ newly registered on the night though there are a few to be added to results.

Hopefully will do anticlockwise loop of Barnaslingan next week like last year. Suits me better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great race last night. Des Kennedy was on fire and won easily. A big 4-way battle for the next placings was a lot of fun, with positions changing about all the way to the bottom of the last steps. Great to see all the IMRA faces again!

Looks to have been plenty of battles all right. Disappointed to have arrived late for Tonelegee on Saturday and then busy last night so couldn't make it.

Des is in great form, enduro back focused on running and not crocked for a change, peterx up there, Mr. Furey, the list goes on. Looking forward to getting out next week to see where I sit in the field, training hasn't been great this year so hoping to race myself fit, a flawless plan I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Laura and team can take a bow, and also big kudos to the Martello. Fantastic hospitality, soup, sambos, function room, big screen and of course pints.

As Enduro said, cracking race. any one of 4 could have got second. The winner, by a looooooong way was the very impressive Des Kennedy.

Brian Furey was ahead of me and I was keeping the gap but not closing on him and I'm thinking well that's just the way it is on this section and I'm still 3rd. The descent is coming and Brian is wearing his own portable icerinks.

Conor O'Keefe and Enduro pass me out (speedwork apparently:)) and all of a sudden I'm somehow catching Brian a little bit 'cos now I'm in 5th. Nothing has changed underfoot. Racing is great.
    I hit the descent with no regard for my safety, nice to do that occasionally and the reason I don't do it all the time is that sure enough I went over on my ankle taking a sub optimal line attempting to get ahead of the boyos.
    Racing is great.

Great race last night. The luxury of changing in a function room! And soup and sandwiches afterwards.

For such a short race, Bray packs quite a lot of racing into the 6km.
    The usual rush to get to the bottle neck had me right behind Enduro and probs in danger of getting a nose bleed this far up the field. Then Peter X comes along and bounds up the climb and Enduro is straight after him, race is on!

Decent run myself. Some good battles and plenty of back and forth in positions. Went for it on the last descent, taking the direct line down. I love that descent, a heady mix of exhilaration and terror, (please let my next step hold as I really need to avoid that tree…WOOHOO.) Fairly sure the adrenaline was still flowing hours later.

The trail between the cross and the turnaround point is a stunning path. Must get up there for a walk during the summer.

Unlike you faster guys I was comparatively slow starting and got caught up with the congestion. On the plus side I ran controlled within myself and didn't risk a reinjury. Additionally from the cross heading out I was picking up places all the time and was fortunate to not lose a place in all that time. A nicely timed sprint to the finish had me ahead by a second from a fast finishing Sean Harte. Jaysus-it ain't half competitive in the M40 stakes. M50 ain't slow either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I have a bit of a report on Wednesday's race here for those that are interested.

belcarra wrote: »
    I have a bit of a report on Wednesday's race here for those that are interested.

I'm pretty sure I had a bit of too'ing and fro'ing with you during the race but eventually got clear on the final descent, not 100% sure yet as my official time and position aren't on the results yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

anyone here doing mweelrea & croagh patrick? if so any advise on where to stay? havn't done either of these so not sure of accomadation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

jfh wrote: »
    anyone here doing mweelrea & croagh patrick? if so any advise on where to stay? havn't done either of these so not sure of accomadation.

Somewhere in Louisburgh would be ideal as it's about 5-10 miles from both mountains.
    Delphi is at the bottom of Mweelrea if you're into that sort of accommodation.

There's a festival on around same time so that may limit options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

would there be much craic after the first day or do people recover for croagh patrick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

great showing by Boardsies in the results. Well done Enduro, Mothman and Gohard (where the hell were ya :D?)

Looking forward to next Weds. The Scalp is near to certain other boardsies so they might make an appearance - take the hint Krusty ;)

Does that mean we were top team?!

Looking forward to Scalp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

take the hint Krusty ;)
    I wish... On home turf too, would be the perfect re-introduction to hill running... Unfortunately, I don't think I can race in the hills this week, as I have a residula niggle after the marathon, which I reckon would be aggravated in a hill race environment (problem first started while doing hill sprints). Hope to get out for a recce of Leg 7 (at easy pace) this weekend (and give Tibradden a pop next week).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

I wish... On home turf too, would be the perfect re-introduction to hill running... Unfortunately, I don't think I can race in the hills this week, as I have a residula niggle after the marathon, which I reckon would be aggravated in a hill race environment (problem first started while doing hill sprints). Hope to get out for a recce of Leg 7 (at easy pace) this weekend (and give Tibradden a pop next week).

Haven't done Scalp before and am in the process of selecting which races I will do in the Leinster League - just wondering what people's thoughts are on the Scalp race?

Based in County Louth so it's a bit of a journey to the races so having to pick and choose which races to do.

Thinking of:
    Bray (Done): Good fun even with the congestion (both getting to the event and on the ascent!)
    PUP: I'm useless at uphill but really enjoyed the race last year.
    Glasnamullen: Just for the fun of the mad descent (ended up going head-first into a bed of heather on the descent last year).
    Seefingan: Just for the sight of people going waist deep into a bog-pool and for the fun of trying to avoid the same fate myself!
    Kippure: As it's the County High-point of Dublin!
    Sugar Bowl: Great craic, love the scramble up the last bit!

Will probably do Scarr and Sorrell Hill as well as I haven't done either previously. Done Brockagh last year but will probably give it a miss due to the limitation on numbers. Really enjoyed Carrick last year but it's a fair journey from home so again, will probably give that one a miss.

They're some good choices.

Sorrell Hill is a really nice race as most of it is on open mountain.

You should definitely consider Ballinastoe, that was my favourite race last year. The route is brilliant. Read some of the reports here: https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/963/#988

I haven't done Scalp before but it has the shortest climb in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't bother with Scalp if getting there is a hassle. Short, fast race (some people will enjoy that aspect) but nothing notable in terms of climbs or interesting descents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Stark wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with Scalp if getting there is a hassle. Short, fast race (some people will enjoy that aspect) but nothing notable in terms of climbs or interesting descents.

I disagree! Short but very tough climbs and short but very tough descents! Scalp is a great race. I was breathing hard from the first kilometre. Got chicked by Kate Cronin who's running really well. Thought I'd be third boardsie home but Fergal Connolly was ahead of Mothman (who was taking it easy). Grrr! Well done Enduro - not much you can do about Des Kennedy.

Nerraw was literally chicked, he's down as the 2nd lady home by the looks of it. I wonder did he collect the prize ?

Well done guys, some great results there.

Where you off season training Gohard? You've started the league very well.

• Advertisement

Where you off season training Gohard? You've started the league very well.

He's been off season for about a year, he's just well rested. :)

Advertisement