Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMRA Season 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey folks, Just looking to get some more hill running and racing into my training over the next few months- how do you sign up for IMRA races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good man sideswipe!
    Register here.
    Then turn up on the day and pay your annual membership fee of €10 (If not already paid online...new process so I'm unsure) and it's €7 per race thereafter (including initial race).

belcarra wrote: »
    Good man sideswipe!
    Register here.
    Then turn up on the day and pay your annual membership fee of €10 (If not already paid online...new process so I'm unsure) and it's €7 per race thereafter (including initial race).

Cheers, belcarra...T'is partly your fault I want to head for the hill's with all those reports of your's!!

Do you just sign up on the day of the particular race or do you have to pre-register? I'm particularly looking at the Dublin Mountain Plod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ha. It was probably my shapely calves that threw the officials, or the skirt.
    Really enjoyed that course, was a bit of a surprise. Looked a bit flat and dull on the GPS route but ended up being great fun with some fantastic views. Lots of swapping of positions all through the race. Only 9 seconds separated the train of runners between 3rd and 9th. We were all together at the bottom of the last hill.
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Cheers, belcarra...T'is partly your fault I want to head for the hill's with all those reports of your's!!

Do you just sign up on the day of the particular race or do you have to pre-register? I'm particularly looking at the Dublin Mountain Plod.

You can just show up and race. I think one race may be pre-registration this year due to NPWS limits. Marathon plod you can sign up before hand or on the day, depending on numbers.

Next week’s Tibradden takes in a fair chunk of the plod route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Ha. It was probably my shapely calves that threw the officials, or the skirt.
    Really enjoyed that course, was a bit of a surprise. Looked a bit flat and dull on the GPS route but ended up being great fun with some fantastic views. Lots of swapping of positions all through the race. Only 9 seconds separated the train of runners between 3rd and 9th. We were all together at the bottom of the last hill.

You can just show up and race. I think one race may be pre-registration this year due to NPWS limits. Marathon plod you can sign up before hand or on the day, depending on numbers.

Next week’s Tibradden takes in a fair chunk of the plod route.

Well, not quite the bottom of the last hill :) Ye had all gone off course a bit on the last descent and were a bit above where ye should have been to make the turn to the last climb (I made the same mistake, but ran down to the marshall at the proper bottom of the hill and back up from there, which is how ye all ended up right behind me again). I suspect no positions were gained/lost in all the to-ing and fro-ing though, so I reckoned the easist thing to do was to let the results stand.

Best thing for a new runner to do (from an organiser's perspective anyway) is to sign up on MyIMRA as a new runner. After signing in you'll be able to purchase your annual membership online, so just do that there and save a heap of time for yourself and the laptop operators at your first race. If you want you can also buy a voucher for ten race entries for 50 Euro (races are 7 euro each if you pay on the night), so if you're going to be doing 5 or more races then that is also worth doing. You can buy that at a later date if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Just signed up there online, nice and fast transaction.

Enduro wrote: »
    Well, not quite the bottom of the last hill :) Ye had all gone off course a bit on the last descent and were a bit above where ye should have been to make the turn to the last climb (I made the same mistake, but ran down to the marshall at the proper bottom of the hill and back up from there, which is how ye all ended up right behind me again). I suspect no positions were gained/lost in all the to-ing and fro-ing though, so I reckoned the easist thing to do was to let the results stand.

Ssshhhh, What happens on the course, stays on the course ;)

Yeah I think the group had about a minute gap to the next runner so I don't think the results were affected.

statss wrote: »
    Just signed up there online, nice and fast transaction.

Yep me too, looking forward to getting off the road for some runs! I need the practice as I'm signed up to do a 50 mile in San Fran in September with a 10,000 foot elevation gain:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

was ahead of Mothman (who was taking it easy).
    My legs this morning were telling me I didn't take it as easy as I might have done!! :)
    Ssshhhh, What happens on the course, stays on the course ;)

Yeah I think the group had about a minute gap to the next runner so I don't think the results were affected.
    A very good reason for that cause I took the correct course! I wasn't far behind Torben and then he was gone confused.png
    And then noticed him way to right eek.png
    But I had the tapes.

Then marshall at bottom mentioned something about 2 having passed....

But yes I agree that results were not effected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Some really fantastic shots by john shields. One or two of them will no doubt grace the 2014 annual. A pity one of them difnt grace the front of this mornings Irish Times. Would have been a very positive sign of summer and positivity for runner and non runner alike.

Heres a couple of boards runners

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Some really fantastic shots by john shields. One or two of them will no doubt grace the 2014 annual. A pity one of them difnt grace the front of this mornings Irish Times. Would have been a very positive sign of summer and positivity for runner and non runner alike.

Heres a couple of boards runners

Wow. Those pics are stunning. Great stuff.

My tuppence worth on the Scalp race here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

John Shields is just brilliant. Simple as! So many superb photographs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Advie, IMRA people. How tough are the races, in general? I keep thinking I'd love to do some because they sound amazing, but as a mid-pack sort of road runner who doesn't do anything any more arduous than Howth or the Phoenix Park, would I be able for them or would I end up lost & alone & starving to death on the side of a mountain somewhere?

I've done some off-road-running-lite - did the roundwood reservoir 10k & the Run the Line 13k last year & loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you done the 13k Run the Line course this coming Wednesdays race is practically the same route except you start at Tibradden car park and loop around Fairy Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Advie, IMRA people. How tough are the races, in general? I keep thinking I'd love to do some because they sound amazing, but as a mid-pack sort of road runner who doesn't do anything any more arduous than Howth or the Phoenix Park, would I be able for them or would I end up lost & alone & starving to death on the side of a mountain somewhere?

I've done some off-road-running-lite - did the roundwood reservoir 10k & the Run the Line 13k last year & loved them.

Hi Helen. The Leinster League Races are a great introduction to mountain running. They're held every Wednesday evening during the summer around Wicklow and South County Dublin. Getting to them shouldn't be a problem as there is a car pooling facility on the site.

They're run mainly on trail and fire roads. All runs are marshalled and all routes are marked. As the LL is very popular there's enough runners where by you won't find yourself alone. You can register on the site and pay your fee on the night. (Unless you can do this through the site). Hopefully see you out on the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

They're tougher than road races of the same length, for sure, but they're definitely doable for "ordinary" runners. I'm not even sure if I'd describe myself as mid-pack, as I'm usually closer to the rear in road races, and the IMRA races are fine. The Wednesday night races are great intros because they're not too long or hard, so come along to one and give it a go. You won't regret it.

Helen, you've often finished close to me in races in Raheny and Parkrun, etc. so you'd be well able for these runs. The main difference is the uphills can be tough, while the downhills can be scarily exciting! No bother to you overall though as you'd fly up those hills and mountains!

Come along to Tibradden this Wed and perhaps start about 2/3 of the way back in the field and take it easy just to dip your toe in the water. You'll defo enjoy it and then as the results get better and you gain more experience you'll be moving up the field in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Helen, you've often finished close to me in races in Raheny and Parkrun, etc. so you'd be well able for these runs. The main difference is the uphills can be tough, while the downhills can be scarily exciting! No bother to you overall though as you'd fly up those hills and mountains!

Come along to Tibradden this Wed and perhaps start about 2/3 of the way back in the field and take it easy just to dip your toe in the water. You'll defo enjoy it and then as the results get better and you gain more experience you'll be moving up the field in no time!

Have we? I remember you wote a report of the Raheny 4(ish!) mile! I must look out for you - say hi if you recognise me at a parkrun.
    I bet I won't make it this Wednesday, but I would love to sometime! Thansk for the advice!

Have we? I remember you wote a report of the Raheny 4(ish!) mile! I must look out for you - say hi if you recognise me at a parkrun.
    I bet I won't make it this Wednesday, but I would love to sometime! Thansk for the advice!

I'll be in Malahide tomorrow looking for a low 20:xx time.
    I'll give you a shout if I see you alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

31 runners took off in Aughavannagh today for one of IMRA's toughest races. From the stories and smiles after this race is a keeper. Lots of twists and turns in the racing. Brian Furey was 1st to top of Lug but more direct routes to the road crossing point had him back in 4th or 5th behind Sean Harte, Stephen Perry and Thomas Moore. Brian fought back and with competitors cramping and crashing with energy loss the top 3 ended up as Brian Furey, Stephen Perry, Zoran.

Great 2nd place finish for our local Tinahely friend. 4th was an Aughavannagh local Thomas Moore, so local knowledge can pay off.

Visibility was good on the hills. Wish I was up there running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

31 runners took off in Aughavannagh today for one of IMRA's toughest races. From the stories and smiles after this race is a keeper. Lots of twists and turns in the racing. Brian Furey was 1st to top of Lug but more direct routes to the road crossing point had him back in 4th or 5th behind Sean Harte, Stephen Perry and Thomas Moore. Brian fought back and with competitors cramping and crashing with energy loss the top 3 ended up as Brian Furey, Stephen Perry, Zoran.

Great 2nd place finish for our local Tinahely friend. 4th was an Aughavannagh local Thomas Moore, so local knowledge can pay off.

Visibility was good on the hills. Wish I was up there running.

Wow! Second place, thats great going from Stephen. He's a demon for the longer open mountain stuff.

Well, they went up here the hard way and back along the ridge on the right. Great day for it.
    8707535639_e1e8c4d521_c.jpg

Close up of the Fananeerin Ridge and the weird markings which I assume are from burning out the undergrowth to foster new growth for wild fowl cultivation that they do around there.
    Runners would have crossed ridge from left to right and then be faced with a tough haul up Croaghanmoira.

8707534943_f667c05186_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

So who's around for Tibradden tonight? It's quite a long race - approx 11.5k.

I'll be there.

I’ll be helping out. I’m open to bribes from single occupant drivers.

It’s a great route, bring some kneepads.

Could have done with this tip before I did the DMW and fell on Tibradden!

Lift those legs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Or follow the Paul Nolan tip and wear cycling gloves. They are lighter.

ps : on your hands, not your knees :)

• Advertisement

I should enjoy this race more so than the last couple of fast and furious ones. But yes, tired legs can be lethal on the path from the bottom of Fairy Castle back towards Tibradden.

Darn, I was hoping to stick with you for this race. Kate Cronin was 6th overall last week. That's crazy fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I'm undecided. The loss of my running mojo and the the fact that is one of my least favourite routes has me leaning towards an evening in, maybe save my powder til next week. I used to dread the thought of an uphil only race now I relish the idea when contrasted against something with a mildly rocky descent.

I am officially old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Yet another great race there tonight.

Any three of us could have got 3rd (Des and T Runner were miles ahead in another race, the actual race! ) with first Jason and then Brian running away from me after I busted myself getting past Brian just after the wet track. 5th so. And I wasn't even on the scoring team, as I was 4th Rathfarnham man home :)
    Thanks to Brian O Murchu and team for a well run race.

Best of Luck to Enduro and team as they head off tomorrow.

Peterx wrote: »
    Yet another great race there tonight.

Any three of us could have got 3rd (Des and T Runner were miles ahead in another race, the actual race! ) with first Jason and then Brian running away from me after I busted myself getting past Brian just after the wet track. 5th so. And I wasn't even on the scoring team, as I was 4th Rathfarnham man home :)
    Thanks to Brian O Murchu and team for a well run race.

Best of Luck to Enduro and team as they head off tomorrow.

That's gas re not scoring. Yeah top 2 had a nice gap but close enough between them. 6 seconds maybe.

First lady was 6th I think. Lost count of bloodied knees.

Best of luck enduro.

Yep, Rathfarnham out in force yesterday great to see. Great battle for third by the looks, Peterx seemed to have superiority in the climbs but not quite getting out of range of the two fast finishers before the final very fast section.

Gave Des a race for a while. Hung on by my fingernails to his hard pace for the initial climb. I was suprised to have a gap of 5 secs or so at the top of Tibradden. I couldnt put the knife in during the next vital section as i needed to recover a little after the climb, and Des recovered too keeping the gap to within 10 secs and pulling me back during the pull up Fairycastle, passing as it got steeper and summiting 5-6 secs ahead. I would have taken that gap before the race started and fancied my chances. However, trying to stay with him had hurt me and Des smelling blood put in a strong effort and had a sizeable lead as the wicklow way turned right down towards the turn off for Tibradden. He gained more on the revisit of Tibradden. I think i clawed back some time for the remainder to keep the gap smaller but the race was long over, Des was never in danger and had been easing down the gears for a while. Winning is a habit, and Des will be very hard bet. If Peterx is in the rear view mirror and not in front of me it means im probably very fit though :). As the man himself might say, racing is great and great to be racing!

Best of luck to Enduro and team for the 24hr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

The entry and results process is pretty labour intensive in IMRA, presumably the investment in an automatic chip/strap based system has been discussed before?
    It doesn't appear too cost prohibitive (on a quick internet search) ~ €5k for the hardware and <€5 per strap. You'd probably get 3-5 years use from the hardware at a guess, and the straps would need to be replaced based on wear and tear.

Sport101 wrote: »
    The entry and results process is pretty labour intensive in IMRA, presumably the investment in an automatic chip/strap based system has been discussed before?
    It doesn't appear too cost prohibitive (on a quick internet search) ~ €5k for the hardware and <€5 per strap. You'd probably get 3-5 years use from the hardware at a guess, and the straps would need to be replaced based on wear and tear.

Parkrun have a very simple solution with the barcode process.
    Couldn't this be a potential solution for IMRA?
    They might also be able to get some local council funding in the process (similar to Parkrun) if not already?

Most weeks, the results are online before I get home from the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

The results are usually very quick in fairness. Its the process (entry-results) that's quite labour intensive and manual in an era of clouds, apps and instant internet gratification!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Most weeks, the results are online before I get home from the race.

Still haven't broken my IMRA duck, hoping to in the next couple of weeks, but I follow the results and reports fairly closely. I agree that the results are always up very quickly, but that doesn't mean that the process is not inefficient. It just means that someone works very hard, possibly harder than they need to given the available technology that is in existence and in use (parkrun barcodes being a good example).
    The bigger question is if IMRA, as an association, can afford to invest in such technology ? It would mean an easier ride for the volunteers after the initial introduction of the system, but would probably mean that participants would, in all likelihood, have to stump up more for membership and probably per race. It's been said many a time on this forum that runners are getting the thin end of the wedge when it comes to paying over the odds for races, especially banner races. I do think, though, that given the burgeoning popularity in running and particularly the increase in participation in mountain running and the currently very low price that IMRA charges, now may be a great time to invest and future proof the operation.

Of course, I'm sure this has been discussed at an organizational level many times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭jlang

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But yes, tired legs can be lethal on the path from the bottom of Fairy Castle back towards Tibradden.
    I suffered badly from tiredness on the way back, but it was more my gut than the legs that was giving out. At the bottom of the top (if you know what I mean) I was right behind Slogger Jogger and feeling great but the drag back up and the run into the wind just took all my remaining energy and I was disappointed that many many runners passed me on the last two miles or so. The opposite to my last time at this race where I struggled to the top, but skipped easily past people on the way back.

I don't really see registration itself as too much of a problem - there's always plenty of willing volunteers before the race, especially if they get to run. But anything that can make the post-race results entry/reconciliation easier/quicker/robust would be useful. Bar codes, or other technical upgrades might help but first I'd go with things as simple as enforcing an orderly and predictable finish-line etiquette to guarantee that the number takers get every finisher and checking that sign-in sheet numbers/signatures are legible (and making sure every runner knows why this is done/important).

jlang wrote: »
    I don't really see registration itself as too much of a problem - there's always plenty of willing volunteers before the race, especially if they get to run. But anything that can make the post-race results entry/reconciliation easier/quicker/robust would be useful. Bar codes, or other technical upgrades might help but first I'd go with things as simple as enforcing an orderly and predictable finish-line etiquette to guarantee that the number takers get every finisher and checking that sign-in sheet numbers/signatures are legible (and making sure every runner knows why this is done/important).
    This is much more straightforward during Parkruns. I'd ask Plodder or Peckham to give an insight but apart from people forgetting to give back tokens at the end of races it seems like a more efficient system than IMRA where there are often issues with finisher's numbers, positions, times, etc. Also, Malahide manage 500+ runners every week and so have no issues with large fields of runners.

Would it be possible to scan in your bar code beforehand rather than sign-in? Effectively this would do the same job but be much quicker leading to reduced queues. Could also remove the need for race numbers also?

Also, I can't see how capital costs would be an issue given that Parkrun events are free, so therefore there should be a similar route to funding available to IMRA. (I'm not suggesting IMRA should be free but just that there shouldn't be increased costs resulting from a technology change as above).

Finally, dealing with the current set-up: Should there be a more preferential treatment for those who have pre-registered for the €50/10 race vouchers? Maybe the queues should be to pay on the day or pre-reg and each queue should then continue separately to number pick-up? This would encourage more to sign-up in advance and lead to less handling of money on the day and dealing with change, etc?

Finally, dealing with the current set-up: Should there be a more preferential treatment for those who have pre-registered for the €50/10 race vouchers? Maybe the queues should be to pay on the day or pre-reg and each queue should then continue separately to number pick-up? This would encourage more to sign-up in advance and lead to less handling of money on the day and dealing with change, etc?

I think so. I think this is where some of the initial issues lay, people with the vouchers saw the big queue and went up to the top to see if there's another one for those that pre-paid, which there wasn't, and went back to the end again. Two sign on queues would help that and then filter in to collect the number. Teething issues I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think so. I think this is where some of the initial issues lay, people with the vouchers saw the big queue and went up to the top to see if there's another one for those that pre-paid, which there wasn't, and went back to the end again. Two sign on queues would help that and then filter in to collect the number. Teething issues I suppose.

The best laid plans...in fact any plans had to be thrown out last night as the gate into Tibradden was only opened at about 6.40!! At that stage there was already cars parked on road as far as eye can see.

Thankfully due to the patience and understanding of waiting competitors in less than warm conditions, everyone did get registered and race did start on time. It was not an ideal scenario for the race directors first race!
    I was volunteering and it was all hands on deck before we got any briefing on our roles, so I'm not surprised the registration didn't happen as planned

Actually I heard afterwards the ranger guy was later turning up with the keys which explains the pile of people joining the queue at simultaneously. Not an enviable situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

This is much more straightforward during Parkruns. I'd ask Plodder or Peckham to give an insight but apart from people forgetting to give back tokens at the end of races it seems like a more efficient system than IMRA where there are often issues with finisher's numbers, positions, times, etc.

In a Parkrun I guess this means they get the bus home early, and don't appear in results. In IMRA, it means volunteers up on a hill searching for a possibly injured/lost runner, and a worried Race Director debating when to call Mountain Rescue.

If I can swim against the tide- pencil and paper for results, car boot for registration, limit both the amount of entrants and technology required to run up and down a mountain.

The lost tokens are usually where the person forgets to give it back at the end to the volunteer who has scanned it. Again, Plodder and/or Peckham can offer more insights to the reasons here. The main thing is they only get the token in parkrun after they finish so they certainly have not bussed home directly off the course.

When I registered yesterday the paper work was all wet and the breeze was blowing the reg sheets about the place...both issues you would not face with the tokens and thereby allowing things to run more smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If I can swim against the tide- pencil and paper for results, car boot for registration, limit both the amount of entrants and technology required to run up and down a mountain.

That can't be done, at least not if you want to record times. With these big-attendance races, two people taking down numbers to be linked with times on the laptop is the minimum we can get away with.

I'd be more in favour of putting a barcode or QR code on the numbers and scan them as they're been given out to register. At the finish line, runners coould be kept in order in the chute and they could scan their barcode in order. Coupled with online pre-registration, you'd be able to make the registration and timekeeping roles a one-person role.

Paper and pencil is great for races like the Dublin Peaks, but with 200+ runners all finishing in rapid succession, and it'll fall apart.

I agree with Kurt. Safety is key. There must be a manual recording of entrants and of finishers, the electronic recording is only helpful for large numbers, but only in parallel with a manual recording.

The main issues with laptop functionality for the Leinster league is in early races that are short. 2 races really. This means that the LO may not get to input all registrations before finishers arrive meaning some inputted numbers not returning names. The main concern with this as in all mountain races, is that if many regs are not inputted, you do not know who is still on the mountain and why. Obviously worrying for RD and intense pressure on LO, especially if LO is inexperienced.

Thus the pre-reg system is directed at this exact issue: pressure on laptop system for 3 races of the year. That's it, and this pre-reg system should solve that.

Some people have stated that there is funding available for IMRA from the same source as Parkrun? If the various county councils are feeling generous and want to throw IMRA a few quid for nothing, for races that dont take place on their property than fair play, bring it on.

IMRA's is an ethos of community and volunteering, and both are interdependent. This ethos keeps the costs down for the IMRA community.
    Why on earth would IMRA exclude some of their community by raising race prices unnecessarily when the community could volunteer so that races are affordable for all?

Some of the posters here sound technical. Instead of speculating, perhaps volunteer for a few laptops, get to know the system and if you have insight into how it can be improved without increasing costs to members during recessionary times (or any time) then share it with the committee.

As Mothman said, the results are nearly always up by the time runners get home. Some of the hardwork behind this could be alleviated by throwing a few grand at the problem and raising race fees, but then IMRA wouldnt be quite the community it was.

I'm dying for the results to come out. Had an epic battle at the end for 13th or 14th. Not sure which. Actually might have been 15th.

No Mothman to bump me out of the Boards placings (I think!). Well done at the Orienteering champs at the weekend (and to mini-Mothman).

Nerraw - I was ahead of the fellow you mentioned up until the flat area before the climb up to Tibradden itself (is that what the peak is called?) so he probably was a good person to try to track.

Rathfarnham in 2,3,4,5. Good results.

Oh and good luck to Enduro and Woundedknee!

• Advertisement
Advertisement