Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMRA Season 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Well done Enduro. That's an incredible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 metamagical

blockic wrote: »
    Lets hope the After 8's can finish strong, two speedsters in there to bring it home!
    We finished strong, but unfortunately didn't make the podium. However, it was a fantastic day's running, with places in the top 5 swapping round after nearly every leg. Raheny had an unassailable lead after leg 2, but it was anyone's race behind that for most of the rest of it. Gorgeous day for it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Another great day at the ww relay; we all ran to our best but with raheny and rathfarnham out of sight by leg 4 / 5 , it came down to a shoot out between TT racers, adventure racers and ourselves.

Tim O'Donoghue put in an epic leg 7 that smashed Bazman's record and Adventure racers then pushed on in leg 8 to take 3rd within shouting distance of rathfarnham by the finish. By end of leg 7 we were pretty much level with TT racers and we had a guy v girl advantage on leg 8, so we closed out for 4th place. Social pints in the sun after rounded a great day. Thanks to SJ for all the work in putting the team together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Social pints in the sun after rounded a great day.
    You obviously did not repeat your performance from last year ;) and were fully fit to enjoy the finish.

Well done to all.

I did leg 5 again, having filled for someone who dropped out during the week and improved on my time by 90 seconds compared to last year. happy enough with that considering I didn't have the best preparation during the past week.

I missed Enduro going through Glendalough this morning but saw 7 others. This was about 6.30. I was there early recording moths!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 metamagical

Another great day at the ww relay; we all ran to our best but with raheny and rathfarnham out of sight by leg 4 / 5 , it came down to a shoot out between TT racers, adventure racers and ourselves.

Tim O'Donoghue put in an epic leg 7 that smashed Bazman's record and Adventure racers then pushed on in leg 8 to take 3rd within shouting distance of rathfarnham by the finish. By end of leg 7 we were pretty much level with TT racers and we had a guy v girl advantage on leg 8, so we closed out for 4th place. Social pints in the sun after rounded a great day. Thanks to SJ for all the work in putting the team together.

Tim was always gonna pull it out, but that's some record to take down. And yeah, big thanks to sloggerjogger, who put the after8s team together, including handling a last minute substitution, brought supplies for the thirsty runners at the end of every leg, and totted up the running order on his trusty clipboard to ensure everyone knew what was going on. Legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wow. What a day. I'm exhausted and I didn't even run.
    Everyone on our team ran above and beyond their game. The teams above us were better on the day and we knew the club teams on their game cannot realistically be beaten. Hats off to Raheny and Rathfarnham.
    The AR team have emerged to perhaps put a dent in the club monopoly with some great legs in the closing half in particular. A nice bunch of guys too.
    We had a great battle throughout with the TT racer team which had a lot of young talented runners vs our veteran experience :). Nice to see Simon pulling a place out of the bag for the 2nd year in a row for the team.
    A great team effort. The relay is a real privilege. The weather was cracking too. Its a bit stressful for all concerned. Running for yourself is one thing; when a team is depending on you its another thing entirely.

Mothman wrote: »
    You obviously did not repeat your performance from last year ;) and were fully fit to enjoy the finish.

Well done to all.

I did leg 5 again, having filled for someone who dropped out during the week and improved on my time by 90 seconds compared to last year. happy enough with that considering I didn't have the best preparation during the past week.

I missed Enduro going through Glendalough this morning but saw 7 others. This was about 6.30. I was there early recording moths!

i was given a talking to by SJ before the race about taking a measured approach to pacing; and even though he was smiling as he said it...i was left in no doubt....and that was on top of the emails; texts and phonecalls from him during the week :)

I heard in shillelagh that you had ran really well, congrats. love the moth recording / mountain running synchronicity you have going on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

No podium mishaps this year, it seemed as though logistics were well ordered. Well done to the podium captains for their organization.

Leg 7- the longest- was ran in an astounding 76 minutes by Tim O'Donoghue. That's quicker than Bazmans previous record, an incredible standard to set on a hot day.

Great fun chatting and gossiping back at the pub, so many good stories, once again, the best race in Ireland, well done to all who ran it. Thanks to Stuart for being the head honcho, may your sleeping bag be warm and fluffy tonight:)

1st. Raheny 7:06
    2nd Rathfarnham
    3rd The Adventure Racers

(Can anyone fill in the times? Think thats a record from Raheny)

*Edit- apologies, I've been wrong on a few records for the WWR in my postings; I've looked it up and the record was set in 2011 by Rathfarnham of 7:03:13. Raheny's 2013 time is second fastest (3rd fastest is Rath 2012 7:09:52)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I really enjoyed tolerated survived leg 7, today. I had hoped to get under 1:28, but having to clamber over those 6-8 gates put an end to those ideas, and I tagged Asimonov in around 1:28:44. It was a real privilege to be part of such a strong team today. It made me want to be a better hill runner (particularly as I struggled my way up those two hills in the sunshine), so I could do the team's performance justice, but my lack of speed on the climbs pointed to my absence from those same hills over the last 12 months. A big thumbs-up to Slogger Jogger for admitting a road-runner into the ranks briefly, and for the organization, encouragement and water along the way. The pints in the sunshine afterwards almost made the suffering worthwhile. :)

• Advertisement

Leg 7- the longest- was ran in an astounding 76 minutes by Tim O'Donoghue. That's 4 minutes quicker than Bazmans record, an incredible standard to set on a hot day.
    Was Bazman's record set when leg was c1km longer? Did the changeover move back to the river crossing this year? or is leg 7 still the longer version.

Its a very impressive time!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    1st. Raheny 7:06
    2nd Rathfarnham
    3rd The Adventure Racers

(Can anyone fill in the times? Think thats a record from Raheny)
    Is the shorter leg 6 the difference between this years time and the previous record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was Bazman's record set when leg was c1km longer? Did the changeover move back to the river crossing this year? or is leg 7 still the longer version.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Bazman's record time was from two years ago (2011), which was exactly the same route as that used today.

Its a very impressive time!

Is the shorter leg 6 the difference between this years time and the previous record?

Bazman's (previous) record was set on the same course (ie. including the extra 1.3km past the bridge). And it was set as a tough marker, running to set a standard. That's what makes Tim's time today so absolutely phenomenal. Course for both was Aughavannagh bridge to Crossbridge change over (the one for the past few years, T 016 746).

Leg 6 is (I believe) shorter this year(?)

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Bazman's record time was from two years ago (2011), which was exactly the same route as that used today.

I believe so. Fair point though about the shorter leg 6, which is worth I guess 4 mins.

There was quality results there today. For a change there weren't mistakes at the top which makes it boring exciting. I stuck a set of photos up on FB. Some nice ones there.

By my reckoning we were 3 or 4 minutes faster than scheduled which is roughly 7:3x. Not bad for a bunch of ageing road runners :cool:

Competitors be scared... be very scared;)

(cheers Mick for the snap)

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_25_at_21_40_41.jpg

A lot of the buzz after the race was about Tim O'Donoghue's brilliant run of 1:16:xx for leg 7 (shortened by about 1.1km since 2009), and how it was a new record. Looking at the lists

2005 7 Rathfarnham Runaways John Brooks M 01:15:07
    2006 7 Wicklow Electrical Way 1 Mick Byrne M 01:16:52
    2011 7 Rathfarmham WSAF Barry Minnock M 01:16:57

I take it TO'D has set a new record for the shortened course. But it just goes to show how phenomenal John Brooks was, 1:15:07 for the longer leg 7 is frightening! Mick Byrne is no slouch either!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I don't know about the runners but the exhaustion from yesyerday has just hit me!

Great day, all runners put in a good effort and the support crew were fantastic. The Wicklow Way Race has been released into the wild and will grow from here I hope.

I think the new route is in place 4 years? The new route is what, 800m longer than the old, with the uphill finish. In which case Barry's and Tim's times are comparable and savage. There was a suggestion that Barry's time was nearer to 1:20, which is obviously not true. No mean feat to be comparable to Baz. A pity a split-time wasn't taken at the bridge for comparison with the old times.

Its genuinely difficult in any event to compare relay times from year to year. The weather, terrain can be quite different. Even down to things like some years many gates are open or not.

Mick's time is awesome as he was probably well into Vet stage running that.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    A lot of the buzz after the race was about Tim O'Donoghue's brilliant run of 1:16:xx for leg 7 (shortened by about 1.1km since 2009), and how it was a new record. Looking at the lists

2005 7 Rathfarnham Runaways John Brooks M 01:15:07
    2006 7 Wicklow Electrical Way 1 Mick Byrne M 01:16:52
    2011 7 Rathfarmham WSAF Barry Minnock M 01:16:57

I take it TO'D has set a new record for the shortened course. But it just goes to show how phenomenal John Brooks was, 1:15:07 for the longer leg 7 is frightening! Mick Byrne is no slouch either!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

I think the new route is in place 4 years? The new route is what, 800m longer than the old, with the uphill finish. In which case Barry's and Tim's times are comparable and savage. There was a suggestion that Barry's time was nearer to 1:20, which is obviously not true. No mean feat to be comparable to Baz. A pity a split-time wasn't taken at the bridge for comparison with the old times.

Its genuinely difficult in any event to compare relay times from year to year. The weather, terrain can be quite different. Even down to things like some years many gates are open or not.

I think you are right Mick. John Brooks time is from the shorter course that finished at the bridge AFAIK. Changeover to the long course happened in 2007 or 2008 AFAIK.

Checked my last three recordings of the route and I have the bridge at just about the 20km mark, so the new course should be just about a full kilometre longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

That makes sense now. Was chatting to bazman last night. He took a split at the bridge for his record year and his time was 2 mins up on j.b's at this point. Bazman won the strawberry half beating sergio ciobanu on a hilly course around that month in 68 i think. I was shocked to hear a 4 minute difference, but a similar time makes more sense. 4 mins up on bazmans time would have put tim amongst the top few mountain runners in the world literally. He might get there yet though.

• Advertisement

You're right of course, I'm an idiot. Sunstroke from yesterday:pac:

Tim V Barry head to head on leg 7 in 2014, you could sell tickets for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tim V Barry head to head on leg 7 in 2014, you could sell tickets for that one.

True, but where would everyone park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    True, but where would everyone park :)

Park? We'd all be following them along the road in convoy. It'd be like the tour of France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks everyone. What an incredible day. I'm just goint to repeat what I said on the IMRA forum here....
    That was a fantastic day all round. Deciding to organising a race over the length of the Wicklow Way was a huge undertaking, so huge Kodos to the committee members who suggested it and decided it was worth trying. And massive thanks to Jeff Fitzsimmons for agreeing to be the race director. There was a large amount of preparations work, from organing the park opening, commissioning special trophies, and all the usual RD tasks, but multiplied out over a full 24 hours. The whole thing went off brilliantly, right down to perfect weather, so full credit to Jeff on a job very well done indeed. Needless to say Jeff couldn't have done it all on his own, so a big thanks to all the other volunteers for their help and enthusiasm. Special thanks to Robbie Williams who drove up from Cork and was out on the course for the entire race making sure everyone was looked after.

Personally, my biggest thanks goes to Helen Dixon for doing a perfect job of supporting me over the remotest and hardest to navigate parts of the course.

Well done to all the other runners. It was really great to see so many people make it to the finish. It's worth noting that until 2008 the record for running the WW was about 18:25, so you can see how good the standard of running was when you compare the finishing times to the old record.

Well done to Richard Healy who made the prizes for both the solo and relay races. The Trophies are superb. I think it's probably the best trophy I've ever won.

Needless to say I'm delighted with everything. It was pretty much a perfect run for me, with everything going right...perfect weather, no navigation issues, excellent support etc. When I first ran the WW in 13:46 I thought I had set a very good record that would be hard to better, so 12:25 has to be one of my best ever runs. Race report will follow at some point soon...

Also, well done to Rahaney on a great win in the Relay. Beating a Rathfarnahm team, who themselves made no mistakes, is an achievment in itself. I'd like to echo the praise for Tim's leg 7 run. He is quite simply a class act! Congrats to slogger and his boardsie team. Sounds like you all had an excellent day's running.

Check out the crowds at this ultra trail race.

http://youtu.be/YVekXp0o-rk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Enduro wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. What an incredible day. I'm just goint to repeat what I said on the IMRA forum here....
    QUOTE]

Congrats Enduro on a very impressive run. That will take a lot of beating. It was great to meet you and the rest of the runners on Friday.

I didn't have such a good day and unfortunately decided to pull out. I took a wrong turn, probably due to tiredness more than anything else, and didn't have it in me to continue after I looped around Glendalough and back to where I came! Anyway, it was a decent training run and I've learned a few lessons for my next ultra.

Cheers to Jeff and Robbie for organising such a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

Some very very strong runs out there on Saturday. Clare Sullivan, Tim O'Donoghue, Kate Cronin and plenty of others ran very fast times on legs. And of course there's only one Eoin Keith!

Well done Raheny and of course well done to my own club Rathfarnham, looking at the results it would seem we supplied a few runners to other teams as well.

• Advertisement

There were quality runs this year. For once there were no mistakes at the leading edge. The record lists aren't so easy to find but it would appear that records were set on leg 4, leg 5 and leg 7?

We had a great day. Last year we were 2nd. This year we improved our time by nearly 30 minutes and we got 4th so that says something about the quality of the top 3.

Great comraderie between teams too. We borrowed a Cru for one of our legs and teams helping with recces and refreshments. Great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I assume karl maguire in first place on leg two 4 mins ahead of ian conroy is an error?

T runner wrote: »
    I assume karl maguire in first place on leg two 4 mins ahead of ian conroy is an error?

Yes, Karl pointed that out earlier on the imra forum thread.

8858587999_787b330c5f_c.jpg

So who is heading to Carrick tomorrow? I'll be running but with a tough weekend of competition coming up, I'm going to take it easy. Perhaps something like a top 50 place. So GoHard, I won't be racing you :). Carrick is local to me and I haven't run this race, otherwise I'd probably skip it though I want to bank some races to make sure I get 7 done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Kate Cronin (41:22) on leg 4 bettered Donna Mahon's old record of 42:47 and Paul Stephenson (51:43) beat John Brooks old record of 53:49. A link to previous results up to 2011 are here: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/836

Have to check leg 7 but Tim O'Donoghue may have the fastest time on the new longer route.

Will add 2012 and 2013 to cumulative results after 2013 are finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So who is heading to Carrick tomorrow? I'll be running but with a tough weekend of competition coming up, I'm going to take it easy. Perhaps something like a top 50 place. So GoHard, I won't be racing you :). Carrick is local to me and I haven't run this race, otherwise I'd probably skip it though I want to bank some races to make sure I get 7 done.

Carrick is a bit too far down south for me so I'll give this one a miss and watch the Ireland v England game instead.
    Could be a race to gain an artificially high position if many people are lazy like me and stay away and/or are wanting to take a rest after the WW at the weekend??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

belcarra wrote: »
    Carrick is a bit too far down south for me so I'll give this one a miss and watch the Ireland v England game instead.
    Could be a race to gain an artificially high position if many people are lazy like me and stay away and/or are wanting to take a rest after the WW at the weekend??
    Thinking of popping my IMRA cherry at this. Tempted by the Ire v Eng match but grew up 2 miles from Carrick so might be a nice trip down memory lane! Built many's the camp and treehouse around there.

Quick question, I've registered online so am I right in thinking that I just give my name/number at registration and pay the race fee there?

sideswipe wrote: »
    Quick question, I've registered online so am I right in thinking that I just give my name/number at registration and pay the race fee there?
    Yes, but probably helpful to bring the confirmation email

Will be giving the race a miss myself. Wrecked after going up Djouce twice and the Wicklow Relay in 10 days.

Never done it but it’s supposed to be a nice race.

Yeah sideswipe, bring the email confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

belcarra wrote: »
    Carrick is a bit too far down south for me so I'll give this one a miss
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Will be giving the race a miss myself.

Great, now I need another 50 or so like minded people to vie for a top 10 finish tonight !

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Will be giving the race a miss myself. Wrecked after going up Djouce twice and the Wicklow Relay in 10 days.

Never done it but it’s supposed to be a nice race.

Yeah sideswipe, bring the email confirmation.

It's a great race and was one of the highlights of last year for me.

Long spin for me (from Drogheda) so will give it a miss this year. Will hopefully tackle Scarr next week.

Hope to make Carrick this evening. If mothman is going very easy I might get ahead of him if I go really hard!

I exchanged messages with Tim O'Donoghue yesterday evening. He's hoping to make it down to Carrauntoohil. He is unfamiliar with the route but will be interesting to see how he gets on in an out and out Championship race.

Hope to make Carrick this evening. If mothman is going very easy I might get ahead of him if I go really hard!
    Maybe we can spin around together and then you can run away from me on that mad final descent. I may well go slower than your hard pace though.

Maybe we can spin around together and then you can run away from me on that mad final descent. I may well go slower than your hard pace though.
    Don't think I have a hard sustained pace anymore. Thats wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I won't be at the race this evening. Wicklow Way Relay took a bit out of me!

I won't be at the race this evening. Wicklow Way Relay took a bit out of me!

Wicklow way didn't seem to bother Enduro :D Quite spritely this evening.

Don't think I have a hard sustained pace anymore. Thats wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes:
    Well I never saw you till after I finished :)

I really enjoyed the run and it was quite interesting running in the mid field. I started off quite slowly and walked with the others on the uphills, but for whole race I was picking people off. I was probably really annoying them, because Id see someone ahead I knew and so I'd join them, then have a bit a chat and then run off to the next person ahead. Funny I hardly got a word in return :D

I did race the last 500m :) There were 4 ahead, 2 had passed me on the steep downhill and then I got it in my mind that I'll finish ahead of them so put on the after burners.

So much for my top 50 place...I was probably nearer to top 20 :o
    Slogger probably has a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well my IMRA cherry was popped, or rather crushed, last night. I enjoyed it when it was finished! A real eye opener for me in the difference between road running and mountain running.
    Really had no idea how to pace it- had wanted to try to run as much as possible but started out to quick and had to walk the sharp inclines early on.

There was something quite prehistoric about legging it as fast as I could through a forrest with a group of others. I felt like sharpening a stick and chasing down a deer during one oxygen deprived hallucination!

I managed to finish strong, passing about a dozen and only being past by 2 on the final, mental, decent and 'home straight'. Hope to do many more, but really need to learn how to pace better and climb at pace.

When are the results usually posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    Well my IMRA cherry was popped, or rather crushed, last night. I enjoyed it when it was finished! A real eye opener for me in the difference between road running and mountain running.
    Really had no idea how to pace it- had wanted to try to run as much as possible but started out to quick and had to walk the sharp inclines early on.

There was something quite prehistoric about legging it as fast as I could through a forrest with a group of others. I felt like sharpening a stick and chasing down a deer during one oxygen deprived hallucination!

I managed to finish strong, passing about a dozen and only being past by 2 on the final, mental, decent and 'home straight'. Hope to do many more, but really need to learn how to pace better and climb at pace.

When are the results usually posted?

Well done!! Goes without saying, the more mountain running you do the better prepared, both mentally and physically you'll become. The results should be up today.

Hopefully see you at Scarr. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement