Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this cat possibly owned and just a mooch?

• 23-11-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello,

I have two outdoor, former ferals whom I feed and shelter. In the last few months a gorgeous black cat has been coming around to sleep in our cat houses in the garden and get pets and cuddles. He looks very healthy, but he is not neutered and has no collar so I don't know if he is owned and whether or not I should have him neutered? Our two aren't that put out about him being around and he is a very mannerly cat, doesn't push in for food or annoy them. What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried asking around your neighbours and that in case anyone might be missing him? He sounds like a sweet heart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Have you tried asking around your neighbours and that in case anyone might be missing him? He sounds like a sweet heart :)

Hi,

We live in a fairly enclosed estate which is very safe, but there are a lot of families around. All the neighbours I know either have a cat/dog or none at all and I have seen him walking around other houses in the early morning/late evenings sometimes over the last few months. I get the vibe that he is owned as he didnt bat an eye when I picked him up or when my big hairy giddy dog stuck his nose out the door for a sniff!

I wonder if I should stick a collar on him and see what happens:D I still think he should be neutered anyway, but I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance that it isn't out of line:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Mogget wrote: »
    I still think he should be neutered anyway, but I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance that it isn't out of line:)

Are you sure he is not neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Hitchens wrote: »
    Are you sure he is not neutered?

Well they are fairly obviously there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My parents had this issue with a neighbours unneutered female cats. They couldn't bear to see them having litter after litter and they were spending so much time with my folks feeding and looking after them that I just took them both to the vet and had them neutered. Happy cats and happy humans. I'd recommend a trip to the vet and have him neutered. So many poor cats and kittens looking for homes as it is. The owners never mentioned anything about the cats not having any more kittens, they never offered to contribute to the vets fees either:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd get him neutered and ask questions later - otherwise you'll start having to pay vets bills for attacks on your own two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

take him to the vet, tell them the situation and you might even get it done for free, or at least nice and cheap. vets are well aware of the need to neuter stray animals to keep the population down and are usually very obliging of anyone who is kind enough to look after one and bring them in for a check up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

If you take him to the vet check to see if he is chipped. If he is, grand you'll be able to get the owners details. If he is not chipped or neutered, and he spends significant time with you and not with his possible owners then I'd be inclined to get him done. Without any collar or chip how is anyone supposed to know he isn't a stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Mogget wrote: »
    Well they are fairly obviously there ;)

sometimes it can appear like that but it may be the empty sacs you're seeing

Advertisement