Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nabi 2 Kids Tablet

• 23-11-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I finally gave in to temptation and picked one up for our soon to be 3 year old.

I'll have a play later as I want to get it set up and rooted so I can see if it's as good as im expecting it to be.

I know a few people were looking at them so if you've any questions just ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I finally gave in to temptation and picked one up for our soon to be 3 year old.

I'll have a play later as I want to get it set up and rooted so I can see if it's as good as im expecting it to be.

I know a few people were looking at them so if you've any questions just ask

I'm thinking of getting one for my 4 year old so will be interested to see what you make of it. Do you think rooting it will sort out the battery life issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I think the battery issues come down to it having a smaller than normal battery. I haven't heard of any specific drain issues?

I'm very impressed with the finish of it, it really feels high quality. The screen is ok provided you're looking straight on. In portrait its not so good. In its defense i'm used to a galaxy S3 and nexus 7.

The best thing is having the kiddiecentric front end which you can set to contain whatever apps you want and stops them getting into settings etc. I never found anything near as good for use on a "normal" tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Thanks, that sounds good. I'm not too worried about the screen I'm sure she won't notice any difference :-) She's constantly asking to use my s3 and note 10.1 I'd like her to have something for herself that's more durable and I like the idea of restricting certain apps and the reward system. I read a review that said the battery life was not the best but I'm sure it's not too bad. I think I'll pick it up for her so. Thanks again.

Now to get something for her 11 year old brother. I'm thinking the nexus 7. I was mad for one for myself but never got it in the end. This way I'll get to mess around with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Hi Chet,

I'm considering picking one up for an 8 yr old. Do you think it would it be too restricted for a kid his age? I'm wondering if he'll find it too limited or kiddieish.

We want to be able to limit his access to the internet, youtube and other apps but still allow him a degree of freedom. I'd like to be able to install a decent reading app like Aldiko for him too.

The other option is to get him a Nexus 7 and install something like Funamo but that seems a little clunky to me.

Have you managed to get the play store working on it yet?

Cheers,

Ken.

Its only limited to what you set it to be limited to, you can download any extra apps and add them to the nabi launcher from within the parent mode. The included browser is configurable to allow/disallow sites. Maybe the design might be too kiddieish for him but you can buy different coloured bumpers for it (a snip at €30...)

I got it rooted and the play store working, you will need an sd card installed to take a backup. I didn't at first and mistakenly deleted the system partition and bricked it. If you're in any way familiar with rooting its quite easy. I have my own google account setup on it and it works fine for installing apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Thanks for the advice Chet, I think we're going to get him the nexus 7 at this stage just for the added flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Super5onic

Too kidish for an 8 year old??? An 8 year old IS a kid lol

Im thinking about getting one for my 11 year old daughter as i think she is too young for an Ipad.

Where did you buy it and how much?

Thanks

I got mine in argos, smyths have them too, 200.

You spent €200 on a 2 yr old?? We obviously live in different worlds mate :)

When you add up all the things that its instead of its not so bad. In car dvd, hdmi media player, games, educational stuff etc etc

• Advertisement

Im guessing this is your first kid? I used to be like that too :) "Educational" at 2 = read them a story. Thanks for the advice anyway mate. Much appreciated

Shes already using my nexus 7 for learning letters and counting and shes picked it up quicker than using her puzzles and us reading to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Looking at something like this for a 6 year old. he already monopolizes my touchpad on android, so wondering would it be too babyish for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just wondering...if anybody has managed to install Android Market on a Nabi?

If so....can you let me know how please...in as simple terms as possible! :-)

Thanks in advance and hope

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Cheers Chet. I assume I should take a backup before proceeding :-)

Regards,

E.

Yep! You'll need a decent sized SD card, i think 2GB was too small for mine to backup to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Manhattan0

There are a few articles on google - have a look at the site below in the meantime.

http://www.1mobile.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

exaisle wrote: »
    Just wondering...if anybody has managed to install Android Market on a Nabi?

If so....can you let me know how please...in as simple terms as possible! :-)

Thanks in advance and hope

E.
    If you don't want to go to the trouble of rooting your nabi, but still want to download new Apps.

Simply put .apk after the name of whatever App your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bernconng

I would like to know how to download itunes or android market onto the Nabie?i,d like to get sumKiddie apps for my boys. I have a 16 GB sd card installed but it still won,t download. Please somebody give me sum helpful tips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement