Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Toy and Comic Fair

• 23-11-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Hey all myself and a friend of mine are investigating the possibility of setting up Limericks 1st Toy and Comic fair and at the moment we're in the process of putting the feelers out there, basiclly im posting here and a **** load of other places to try and gauge if the interest is there ...so what do you guys think ?? time would be possibly early 2013 and in the city somewhere ,

Just anytime anything like this is on , Dublin gets it , Something like this rarely happens in Limerick so i think it could be a great day out for people who have an interest in these kind of things

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Great idea if you can pull it off.

We need a proper toy store and a good comic store in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I know there'd be a lot that would go to it - sounds like a great day out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    Great idea if you can pull it off.

We need a proper toy store and a good comic store in the city.

Not been a proper comic store in Limerick since Forbidden Planet was here imho.

The one on Denmark street that came after FP closed was more cafe than comic shop, and the Gathering was ok but very dear even compared to other bricks and mortar comic shops in Ireland. It can be easy to be mistaken as a good example of something when there is no local competition to be judged against.

Would love to see what would happen if FP were ever to get a unit in the Crescent shopping centre. For me that would be the only place one would succeed in Limerick nowadays, although the rent/rates of such a unit would go against what FP normally look for. I don't think a city centre store would survive given it did not during less harsh economic times.

It is actually fascinating the areas in other cities that FP can thrive in, their Belfast store being a prime example (anyone who knws the street will remember what it was like years ago), but I would not hold out much hope for one thriving in similar locations in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

great idea,I brought my 2 boys to the diecast model fair in the southcourt recently and the place was packed to the rafters,they had modern and vintage model cars trucks etc,just look at the success of the old style sweetshop in town for instance,there is a huge market for old or vintage stuff and toys comics are no exception,,,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not been a proper comic store in Limerick since Forbidden Planet was here imho.

The one on Denmark street that came after FP closed was more cafe than comic shop, and the Gathering was ok but very dear even compared to other bricks and mortar comic shops in Ireland. It can be easy to be mistaken as a good example of something when there is no local competition to be judged against.

Would love to see what would happen if FP were ever to get a unit in the Crescent shopping centre. For me that would be the only place one would succeed in Limerick nowadays, although the rent/rates of such a unit would go against what FP normally look for. I don't think a city centre store would survive given it did not during less harsh economic times.

It is actually fascinating the areas in other cities that FP can thrive in, their Belfast store being a prime example (anyone who knws the street will remember what it was like years ago), but I would not hold out much hope for one thriving in similar locations in Limerick.

When did the FB close in Limerick? For some reason i remember going in there and to the Liverpool shop on my confirmation day (1996), dont remember it being open much longer.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    When did the FB close in Limerick? For some reason i remember going in there and to the Liverpool shop on my confirmation day (1996), dont remember it being open much longer.

Would have been around the time you mentioned methinks.

Am struggling to remember the Liverpool FC shop though.

What street was fp on?
    I remember coming out of the Liverpool shop and walking straight over to fp. No idea what streets either were on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

FP was in Ormston House on Patrick st and i think you mean the soccer store on Liddy st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Then fb was on roches street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Would be incredibly interested in this!

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    FP was in Ormston House on Patrick st and i think you mean the soccer store on Liddy st

I should really know but where is liddy St? What's there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Melion wrote: »
    I should really know but where is liddy St? What's there now?

Is Liddy St not the continuation of Henry St below the lights on Sarsfield St?
    @ Kilburn at one point the Liverpool FC store and Forbidden Planet(Or at least a very passable clone of it) were both on Upper Roches St for a time.
    I can't remember if it was pre or post FP being in Ormston house though

banie01 wrote: »
    Is Liddy St not the continuation of Henry St below the lights on Sarsfield St?
    @ Kilburn at one point the Liverpool FC store and Forbidden Planet(Or at least a very passable clone of it) were both on Upper Roches St for a time.
    I can't remember if it was pre or post FP being in Ormston house though

The Roches street shop came second and it was not an official FP, but the one in Ormston House was an official FP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So final thought from everyone if we were go ahead and try and get this going would some on here be willing to help, Even something as simple as handin out flyers contact me via pm if interested, Also if you'd know anyone who'd like to have a table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Roches street shop came second and it was not an official FP, but the one in Ormston House was an official FP.

Both the Ormston House FP on Patricks Street & the Roches Street FP were official. I used to help out there with payment in comics. :D
    They moved because the basement in Ormston House kept flooding. Forbidden Planet left Limerick in the summer of 1997. :eek:

There was a ManU shop next to the Roches Street FP and a Liverpool shop run by the same people on Thomas Street for a brief period of time.

As for the OP's Comic & Toy fair, I'd have a browse if they had one but I stick to buying graphic novels these days.

Both the Ormston House FP on Patricks Street & the Roches Street FP were official. I used to help out there with payment in comics. :D
    They moved because the basement in Ormston House kept flooding. Forbidden Planet left Limerick in the summer of 1997. :eek:

There was a ManU shop next to the Roches Street FP and a Liverpool shop run by the same people on Thomas Street for a brief period of time.

As for the OP's Comic & Toy fair, I'd have a browse if they had one but I stick to buying graphic novels these days.

For some reason I always thought the Roches st FP was a franchise and not a directly run FP outlet.

Turns out I am completely wrong on that one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

yes please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

There's Brocon which is gaming and anime and I'm sure has some comics and figurines.. but I think it'd be great to have a comic and toy convention~! The only problem is I don't know how many people would go and who would set it up?

Me, And a few others are currently in the process of setting up, At the moment we've been looking at venues and dates wise we're thinking around April at the moment, Few of the lads have sold stuff at that brocon so thats probaly who you're refering to

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

you know I thought about this and I was saying what a waste of time but you know what when its set up I'm going to go to it even if its just for the day out, best of luck with it Lads, if ye are going to do it set up a facebook page months in advance and get it shared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Definitely set it up, I know absolutely nothing about it but I will bring all my grandkids to it. We are always looking for somewhere different to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I saw a flyer about a comics fair in Enzos last night. It's on this sunday in the Absolute hotel. Was just wondering if its the one the OP was talking about and if he or whoever is organising it had more details about it.

Its not us but both of us will be there selling at it , Good to come along its free entry and there'll be rakes of comics, toys and other bits and pieces for sale

Facebook Event page : https://www.facebook.com/events/360012910770770/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Its not us but both of us will be there selling at it , Good to come along its free entry and there'll be rakes of comics, toys and other bits and pieces for sale

Facebook Event page : https://www.facebook.com/events/360012910770770/

You have no idea how fcuking annoyed I am that I missed this. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You have no idea how fcuking annoyed I am that I missed this. :mad:

Sh!te f'r it anyway, sickened I missed this also. :(

Advertisement