Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators close threads for no reason?

Options
  • 23-11-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Have been following threads for a while now which have not been posted in for weeks and are still open. And also have had their fair share of trolling within them.

A couple of new threads which I saw have been opened have been closed after about 3 pages of posts when I contact the moderator to ask why they closed the thread they claim people complained about certain posts! When I asked what was wrong with the posts? and why wasn't the posts carded they did not respond.

Also they claim the thread isn't going anywhere! well how can it after a couple of pages?

What's the story!! Can someone please moderate the moderator's please!!!wink.png
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Give us some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Give us some examples.

I opened this thread within After hours and they closed it with no reason as to why. No problem with mods closing threads as long as they can back up why...

After Hours is not the place for threads like that.

Thats why your thread was closed.

First of all yes it is. It's a issue I would like to get seen by the masses. But please explain why not?

And to back that up, I opened a new thread complaining about the mods closing my original thread, again within After Hours which they decided to leave open. Confirming it is indeed a perfectly good place to open such a thread.

Finally when I asked the Mod the reason for closing the thread I was given none. So not sure how you think you know exactly why it was closed?

otto_26 wrote: »
    First of all yes it is. It's a issue I would like to get seen by the masses. But please explain why not?

First of all no its not, as you can see below which is from the After Hours charter.
    Posting on After Hours to reach a larger audience is not allowed. If there is a more suitable forum for your thread, post it there. Threads to solicit votes for reality TV shows etc. are not allowed. Do not ask us to complete any surveys either. If you are unsure of the correct place to post you're probably not going to like the answers you might get here. You can query where the best place might be in the Newbies and FAQ forum. If you are unsure please private message any After Hours moderator for confirmation.

And to back that up, I opened a new thread complaining about the mods closing my original thread, again within After Hours which they decided to leave open. Confirming it is indeed a perfectly good place to open such a thread.
    To back up what i said, did you get more than one serious reply to your second thread in After Hours? No. Why? Because its the wrong forum.

Finally when I asked the Mod the reason for closing the thread I was given none. So not sure how you think you know exactly why it was closed?

See the post from the charter i quoted above.

• Advertisement

Posting on After Hours to reach a larger audience is not allowed. If there is a more suitable forum for your thread, post it there. Threads to solicit votes for reality TV shows etc. are not allowed. Do not ask us to complete any surveys either. If you are unsure of the correct place to post you're probably not going to like the answers you might get here. You can query where the best place might be in the Newbies and FAQ forum. If you are unsure please private message any After Hours moderator for confirmation.

After Hours = All things non-work related. Therefore my Thread qualifies!

I posted on After Hours because I wanted to discuss and get feedback from registered users of boards not moderators.

As we speak there are:

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads

All which are not suitable for After Hours! or are they? I'm confused you claim mine is not.... But the above are? :rolleyes:
    To back up what i said, did you get more than one serious reply to your second thread in After Hours? No. Why? Because its the wrong forum.

Yes I did get some serious replies but most people commented on how the Mods wouldn't stand for a thread questioning their work! Followed by trolling from mods within the thread! summing the whole thing up for me.

So yes After Hours was the place for threads like mine, because my thread was not work related.
    [/QUOTE]

I posted on After Hours because I wanted to discuss and get
    feedback from registered users of boards not moderators.

As we speak there are:

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads

All which are not suitable for After Hours! or are they? I'm confused you claim mine is not.... But the above are? :rolleyes:

Yes I did get some serious replies but most people commented on how the Mods wouldn't stand for a thread questioning their work! Followed by trolling from mods within the thread! summing the whole thing up for me.

So yes After Hours was the place for threads like mine, because my thread was not work related.
    [/QUOTE]

Whats the name of this forum?

Whats the name of this forum?

I posted on After Hours because I wanted to discuss and get feedback from registered users of boards not moderators.

Are you a Moderator? How many registered users have given me feedback in the feedback forum?!!!!:rolleyes:

Yes i am a moderator.

An After Hours moderator.

Maybe you should read this from the FEEDBACK charter, particularly the bit in bold.

What is Feedback

This forum is for Feedback on boards.ie related issues. It is a place for you to offer feedback - comments, suggestions, and air your opinion on how the site is being run and what you find good or bad.

(This is not a forum to appeal against a decision by a moderator against you, for that you should use the Dispute Resolution Procedure which you can find HERE.)

It is an opportunity for the users to interact with the mods/cmods/admins on equal footing and receive answers to questions. Discussion of mod behaviour / issues will be allowed but must remain non-abusive

Your thread had no place in After Hours because there is a FEEDBACK forum dedicated to stuff like that.

Yes i am a moderator.

An After Hours moderator.

Your thread had no place in After Hours because there is a FEEDBACK forum dedicated to stuff like that.

Firstly I want to discuss my thread with registered users and get their opinions..I do not want to discuss my thread with mods so therefore my thread is perfect for After Hours.

Secondly isn't there forums that the following could be put into dedicated to stuff like that instead of After Hours?

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads.

I'm really confused as to the reason why the threads above are suitable for After Hours but mine is not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As we speak there are:

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads

If you look back threw this forum you'll find threads discussing these issues for After Hours, that's generally where they go barring an annual AH thread and an odd exception.

Apologies, I though somebody had posted a link to Feedback in the first thread, it was a joke about Feedback threads in AH instead.

People post about work related issues too! Most forums don't allow threads about moderation and they are supposed to go here. Politics and a few others would be the exception to the rule.

As for your first thread I searched for pm's from you starting from your join date, and nothing is showing up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Firstly I want to discuss my thread with registered users and get their opinions..I do not want to discuss my thread with mods so therefore my thread is perfect for After Hours.

Posters are open to post here, indeed this is where they post feedback.
    Secondly isn't there forums that the following could be put into dedicated to stuff like that instead of After Hours?

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads.

You'll find reasons here and other threads if you search back.
    I'm really confused as to the reason why the threads above are suitable for After Hours but mine is not?

Because this is the forum for feedback on the different boards.

Also as per the first reply you really need to give examples to get a better idea of why decisions are made as they usually are all judgement calls.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Gay related threads
    Work related threads
    Household charge thread
    Abortion threads.

This forum is not just for mods, its for registered users as well.

But like I said I posted the thread in AH because I wanted to discuss the thread with registered users.

I mean it's all well and good for this forum to be open to registered users but how many have interacted with me on my thread within this forum answer = 0.

What's the point in signing up to Boards.ie if I can only post my thread in a place nobody will ever see it? therefore no registered user interaction.

While gay,work,abortion and household charge threads have no problem within the AH forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep. See!

Don't mind me, I'm just here to watch.....

kingofpopcorn1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I mean it's all well and good for this forum to be open to registered users but how many have interacted with me on my thread within this forum answer = 0.

I'll interact :) You're talking nonsense :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably because it's more of a whinge than an invitation for discussion.

7nTnr.png

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But like I said I posted the thread in AH because I wanted to discuss the thread with registered users.

What's the point in signing up to Boards.ie if I can only post my thread in a place nobody will ever see it? therefore no registered user interaction.

While gay,work,abortion and household charge threads have no problem within the AH forum.

This is the Feedback forum, this is where feedback threads reside. Wanting more people to see your thread is not an acceptable reason for you to post it wherever you like. So if you want proper feedback, please provide examples of the sort of threads you think should not have been closed, as requested in the second post of this thread. If you don't, then there's nothing to actually discuss and I'll be closing this thread due to its pointlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Otto, Have a look through this forum and you'll see that many users post here.

Threads like your one have always been closed in AH, if you have a site wide issue, you come here to discuss it. A lot of posters don't read AH so this forum is ideal to get a cross site opinion, which is what you wanted.

Probably because it's more of a whinge than an invitation for discussion.

Exactly and registered users love nothing more than having a good whinge!! Therefore I stand by my comments which is also a:

7nTnr.png[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Exactly and registered users love nothing more than having a good whinge!! Therefore I stand by my comments which is also a:

7nTnr.png
    [/QUOTE]

It's a quieter forum than AH, you need to give it time and you will get other poster's opinion. That may mean waiting a day or two.

Zaph wrote: »
    This is the Feedback forum, this is where feedback threads reside. Wanting more people to see your thread is not an acceptable reason for you to post it wherever you like. So if you want proper feedback, please provide examples of the sort of threads you think should not have been closed, as requested in the second post of this thread. If you don't, then there's nothing to actually discuss and I'll be closing this thread due to its pointlessness.

"Very religious equals not very Christian."

I was giving as good as I was getting with a poster calling him on claims he made. Even received private messages from other posters thanking me as he had been annoying other posters in different threads.

My problem in this case is that instead of a moderator coming on and giving some sort of warning so posters could start relating to the OP's question in the thread again. The mod just closes the thread without any warnings or cards.

Actually think it was you Micky!!:o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Please provide links to the threads in question, it makes it easier for people to go back to them and have a look at what you're talking about.

Zaph wrote: »
    Please provide links to the threads in question, it makes it easier for people to go back to them and have a look at what you're talking about.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056799784&page=12

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Seriously?

You expect an admin to read a 175 post thread just because you disagree with it being closed and you're not giving anything to substantiate your claim?

Good luck with that :)

Steve wrote: »
    Seriously?

You expect an admin to read a 175 post thread just because you disagree with it being closed and you're not giving anything to substantiate your claim?

Good luck with that :)

No. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Aw nuts.. I really should refresh the thread before posting... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Long cat...or something. :rolleyes:

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Long cat...or something. :rolleyes:
    Ya, it's tempting.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

After Hours = All things non-work related
    How do we know you aren't a professional arguer?

Advertisement