Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators close threads for no reason?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Gordon wrote: »
    How do we know you aren't a professional arguer?
    Says the professional arguee.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

otto_26 wrote: »
    "Very religious equals not very Christian."

I was giving as good as I was getting with a poster calling him on claims he made. Even received private messages from other posters thanking me as he had been annoying other posters in different threads.

My problem in this case is that instead of a moderator coming on and giving some sort of warning so posters could start relating to the OP's question in the thread again. The mod just closes the thread without any warnings or cards.

Actually think it was you Micky!!:o

Indeed it was.

Threads like this pop up in AH every second day. I closed this one as it turned into a snipping contest between you and another poster. A continuation of a row in another forum. In fact, you started the spat in AH as you challenged the poster about things he had said in another forum.

Anyway, I had a few choices, I could infract/ban/thread ban yourself and the other poster in a thread I thought was done, I decided not too. instead I locked the thread and issued a warning.

At the time you PM'd me and I gave you a response so I'm not sure are you referring to me in your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The op has opened 3 threads about the same thing across 2 forums. Doesn't that usually warrant a spell in the gulag with Gordon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If I post the 5th haiku here, will G'em still siteban me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Treehorn

Just look at the thread below entitled Internet Abuse about double standards and bullying. Locked by Insect Overlord, who recently told a user on the Limerick forum to **** off, a forum where he is moderator and has handed out infractions for the same kind of thing. He then pathetically edited his post to feck and tried to pass it off as a spelling mistake. Yeah I could see why a thread on double standards would be closed so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Treehorn wrote: »
    Locked by Insect Overlord

LOL. You're wrong there. :) I just posted the picture. One of the Admins must have locked the thread.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Treehorn wrote: »
    Just look at the thread below entitled Internet Abuse about double standards and bullying. Locked by Insect Overlord, who recently told a user on the Limerick forum to **** off, a forum where he is moderator and has handed out infractions for the same kind of thing. He then pathetically edited his post to feck and tried to pass it off as a spelling mistake. Yeah I could see why a thread on double standards would be closed so fast.

I locked the thread, just like I locked the first thread by that poster. I think that my actions have been very consistent and could in no way be misconstrued as double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Zaph wrote: »
    I locked the thread, just like I locked the first thread by that poster. I think that my actions have been very consistent and could in no way be misconstrued as double standards.

Nobody minds at all when a moderator closes a thread BUT as long as they have a good reason for it rather than because they felt like it or because they feel the need to be consistent.

If moderators close threads for good reason and explain that reason when closing the thread then people will not and have nothing to complain about.

It's because some mods close threads early and without reason is why people complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nobody minds at all when a moderator closes a thread BUT as long as they have a good reason for it rather than because they felt like it or because they feel the need to be consistent.

If moderators close threads for good reason and explain that reason when closing the thread then people will not and have nothing to complain about.

It's because some mods close threads early and without reason is why people complain.

Generally the only mod that I know of that takes a while to leave a reason is sharpshooter and she hasn't posted in over two months.

Give it up to an hour for a reason to be posted. Oh and usually threads are locked and then a reason is given. It's locked first to prevent further discussion.

Advertisement