Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low powered VGA Port x 2 Gfx Card

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Long time no see - sorry to bugger off with not a by your leave but this board was taking up so much of my time it was bordering on addiction so I had to go cold turkey.

I'm back looking for help (a tad cheeky I know!) I'm looking for a cheap, low powered gfx card that will power run two old monitors for the camera system at work. The PSU in the machine is a crap 300W so the lower power the better - it just needs to be able to support 2 x VGA-port monitors and allow desktop extension (not duplicate display) feel free to link me your stuff for sale if the mods don't object.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

hi Procrastastudy,

Good to see you back. What resolution are the monitors, and has the CP got AGP/ PCI/ PCI-e?

Also worth checking what the CCTV software is, and its minimum requirements. Most IP/analog CCTV clients are CPU heavy-e.g. Milestone xprotect requires a decent-ish CPU 2.4 GHz Core 2 minimum & at least 4Gb RAM to run smoothly, anything below this and it runs slow & laggy once you open over 4/6 cams open at once. So its worth checking this out before deciding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

glynf wrote: »
    hi Procrastastudy,

Good to see you back. What resolution are the monitors, and has the CP got AGP/ PCI/ PCI-e?

Also worth checking what the CCTV software is, and its minimum requirements. Most IP/analog CCTV clients are CPU heavy-e.g. Milestone xprotect requires a decent-ish CPU 2.4 GHz Core 2 minimum & at least 4Gb RAM to run smoothly, anything below this and it runs slow & laggy once you open over 4/6 cams open at once. So its worth checking this out before deciding.

Thanks :) - and Thanks for the input. It's a PCI-e slot - boss has the cameras open anyway he just wants them side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Then I would go for a bog standard HD 5450 or similar Nvidia card. Use the VGA for one monitor and a DVI > VGA adapter for the second-Dual VGA cards would probably be more expensive as they are much rarer. BTW I would buy off of Komplett for the free shipping, instead of ze Boche.

Advertisement