Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from Buskers Now Worse!

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Did I correctly read recently that new regulations had been introduced to reduce the level of noise that buskers would be permitted to make and to reduce the number of such buskers in Grafton Street and Henry Street?

If so, it would seem that these regulations are being flouted or are not being enforced at all (surprise! surprise!). Last weekend in Grafton Street and again today in the Henry Street area the noise from self-appointed street "entertainers" was almost intolerable.
    This morning, right across the street from the Mary Street entrance to Marks & Spencer there was a full rock band performing with the amplified noise reaching far into the store. This, surely, must be forbidden by the new regulations! It goes without saying that there was no sign of any Gardai (with or without their new two-wheeled Sedgways) to be seen anywhere!

I am all in favour of street musicians and entertainers who can add to the ambience of urban streetscapes but there needs to be some curb on the noise level they are allowed create. One simple suggestion would be to allow only "acoustic" performances and forbid amplified instrumentation or singing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Theyre not legally enforcable, simply best practice guidelines. Dublin badly needs busking bye-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I thought that as long as their equipment wasn't powered that they could busk. If they user amps, other electronics then they need a license?
    I know i saw one of the "robot" dancers with a license tag.

Advertisement