Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I first time buyer???

Options
  • 23-11-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

My siblings and I all inherited a portion of a property. We intend on selling it in the not too distant future, using the money we get as a deposit for a house.

Will we still be classed as first time buyers considering we have never actually bought a property........ Probably a silly question, but the lady I spoke to in the bank today wasn't sure if we would be.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Has your name ever appeared on the deeds of any property? If you just inherited a share in some property and it was never conveyed to you (was just sold and you received a cash sum) then you're a first time buyer still.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

My name is on the deeds, along with two others.

Guessing I won't be considered a FTB so.......

If I am no longer classed as a FTB, what perks, if any, will I be missing out on?
    Will this affect the amount I can borrow / deposit I will need to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My name is on the deeds, along with two others.

Guessing I won't be considered a FTB so.......
    I didn't say that ;)

I was just trying to exclude the possibility. You should consult Revenue and ask for their determination in writing. I would think it would be a very "harsh" way to lose FTB status by inheriting a portion of a property tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

My siblings and I all inherited a portion of a property. We intend on selling it in the not too distant future, using the money we get as a deposit for a house.

Will we still be classed as first time buyers considering we have never actually bought a property........ Probably a silly question, but the lady I spoke to in the bank today wasn't sure if we would be.....

You are no longer a FTB if you have ever been the legal owner of a property. At the moment there's no real relief you'll be missing out on (TRS will be gone soon). Stamp Duty is the same for first or second time buyers so no disadvantage there. Only difference is with some banks who allow FTB's borrow over a longer period (35 yrs for ftb's v 30 yrs for everyone else). Interest rates are charged the same irrespective of ftb status. Overall it makes no huge difference at the moment, but with a budget on the horizon this could change if the Government decide to offer any incentives to FTB's.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses. My other half is a FTB but we are getting married next year, which will result in him also losing his FTB status if I am deemed not to be one.
    This Budget is going to be very interesting!

Advertisement