Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on a shotgun

Options
  • 23-11-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking/thinking of getting a shotgun for shooting clays and a little hunting.

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 pump and after shooting off 100 clays last Saturday i think the pump is just not cutting the mustard, even though I did hit more than I missed.

So what do I need if I'm to look for a Shotgun??
    It will be used for clays, nothing to hard and not for competition use (for now), Social clay shooting if you know what I mean, and a little hunting and again not to much.

U/O will do nicely but what about barrel length?
    Make -- I was told that Browning do a great range of SG's, also I need to narrow it down to a couple of makes.

Looking at going the secondhand route, not new, and hopefully keep it to about €1000-€1500 less if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Friend of mine has a browning GTS that he is talking about off loading, hasn't put 1000 shells through it in the length of time he has it, its like new. I will let you have a look at it next weekend at the range if you are interested.
    Its a 30" multi choke.
    The same as this.
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/i/products/34bc5a2155b5352913200531.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bought a second hand Beretta 682 Gold E at the top end of your price range + my old gun as a trade in recently...great gun..improved my shooting anyway:pac:

A Browning 525 would be roughly the same price with a trade and also be a very good gun.

I shoot regularly with lads using both guns and they don't miss a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

beretta 68 series, miroku 38, browning, cant go wrong with any of these barrel length is subjective but id favour long barrels myself
    Try before you buy if you can as well good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

homerhop wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a browning GTS that he is talking about off loading, hasn't put 1000 shells through it in the length of time he has it, its like new. I will let you have a look at it next weekend at the range if you are interested.
    Its a 30" multi choke.
    The same as this.
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/i/products/34bc5a2155b5352913200531.jpg.

Cheers mate

Bring it on over the weekend :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

What is it makes you want something else? Quicker follow up shot? You can have a shot of my yoke and see if the longer barrel makes any difference if you like.
    Are you going to be breaking a few this weekend?

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »
    What is it makes you want something else? Quicker follow up shot? You can have a shot of my yoke and see if the longer barrel makes any difference if you like.
    Are you going to be breaking a few this weekend?

I'll be at HH in the morning and yes hopefully bust another few clays with the lads.

juice1304
    I don't know who you are but if your at HH look me up please.

samiam.gif:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Juice/Sam, did I see you at the Borris fair for HH? or maybe the Athy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Comp this w/e Clive - you not going?

Open Club Competition @ FRC

LB6 wrote: »
    Juice/Sam, did I see you at the Borris fair for HH? or maybe the Athy one?

Yes you did:) Nice day too except for the rain.:D:]

• Advertisement

Thats better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Have you considered a Bettinsoli Sporter.......I've one & find it great for the odd day clay shooting.

Can be picked up second hand for €600 - 700 in excellent condition, a lot of gun for the money!

REVIEW
    http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/93002/Bettinsoli_Diamond_Line_Deluxe.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

CliveJ
    Are you sure we cannot sell you on an auto? I think they're the most versatile. They're grand for: trap, skeet, boat, shore, walking the fields, and general merriment.

The 1100 or the 1187 would be a great choice for a budget, the Benelli SBE is you have a bit of dosh to throw around. The CZ's are nice too.

If you have your heart set on a Browning O/U, the Citori is fantastic and I would highly recommend one. What kind of shotgun would you want: clays or field? The clays will allow you to take the safety off for as long as you wish. Field guns will often reset the safety every time you break the action.

The Baikal IZH-27 is a work horse of a gun. I use it on the clays all the time. It is not much work to take the safety off even when you are shooting fast.

What does the 1100 and the IZH-27 go for in Eire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

He had a lovely beretta semi and sold it :D:D:D

J.R. wrote: »
    Have you considered a Bettinsoli Sporter.......I've one & find it great for the odd day clay shooting.

Can be picked up second hand for €600 - 700 in excellent condition, a lot of gun for the money!

REVIEW
    http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/93002/Bettinsoli_Diamond_Line_Deluxe.html

Good review and great price I'll keep my options open

FISMA wrote: »
    CliveJ
    Are you sure we cannot sell you on an auto? I think they're the most versatile. They're grand for: trap, skeet, boat, shore, walking the fields, and general merriment.

The 1100 or the 1187 would be a great choice for a budget, the Benelli SBE is you have a bit of dosh to throw around. The CZ's are nice too.

If you have your heart set on a Browning O/U, the Citori is fantastic and I would highly recommend one. What kind of shotgun would you want: clays or field? The clays will allow you to take the safety off for as long as you wish. Field guns will often reset the safety every time you break the action.

The Baikal IZH-27 is a work horse of a gun. I use it on the clays all the time. It is not much work to take the safety off even when you are shooting fast.

What does the 1100 and the IZH-27 go for in Eire?

I had the Beretta 391 semi and a very good shotgun it was too. I have the pump now and that will do until I can get the $$$ for something else.
    With so many choices that it's hard to know what/where to start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

game guns heat up more than sport. silma isn't a bad gun either

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Get yourself a nice browning or beretta 30in sporter

Advertisement