Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent in advance deposit

Options
  • 23-11-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering.

I moved into my apt. on around 1st Dec. 2011
    I paid 700 deposit, with 450 rent in advance = 1150

I then had to pay the rent for that month on the 1st Jan.

I plan to move out maybe around the 1st/ mid Feb.

My question is, do you get to keep the month rent in advance. I always was under the impression you do, as in my last place I paid rent in advance but still had to pay rent for that week, thus getting it back in the end.

Is this the case? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Like, if it is paid for the month in advance, does that mean say we were leaving in Feb, we pay on the 1st Jan, but not on the 1st of Feb (which is when we leave) it seems so simlpe, but has me confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

CuriousG wrote: »
    Like, if it is paid for the month in advance, does that mean say we were leaving in Feb, we pay on the 1st Jan, but not on the 1st of Feb (which is when we leave) it seems so simlpe, but has me confused...

Correct!

01902 wrote: »
    Correct!

So, basically, we either pay the rent and they refund it or ins easier terms, they just give it back and we don't pay the last day?

It seems too good to be true ha ha, thank you!

I take it your rent is €450 per month? When you pay on the 1st of Jan that is from 1st of Jan until 31st of Jan so you should actually leave on the 31st. If you pay on the 1st of Feb that would cover you until 28th Feb so don't pay it! If you agree with the landlord to stay until mid feb then pay half rent. Remember one months notice before you leave. The norm would be to move out on the 31st of the month but of course you can agree anything with your landlord once your fixed term is over. Also don't forget that ypu will need to pay a months rent in advance for your new place so you don't actually get a months free rent!

01902 wrote: »
    I take it your rent is €450 per month? When you pay on the 1st of Jan that is from 1st of Jan until 31st of Jan so you should actually leave on the 31st. If you pay on the 1st of Feb that would cover you until 28th Feb so don't pay it! If you agree with the landlord to stay until mid feb then pay half rent. Remember one months notice before you leave. The norm would be to move out on the 31st of the month but of course you can agree anything with your landlord once your fixed term is over. Also don't forget that ypu will need to pay a months rent in advance for your new place so you don't actually get a months free rent!

So, while it is not getting a free month, we don't have to pay on our last day, so essentially we get to keep that money (and as you said, it will go to a new place) but we still don't give it to the landlord ?

We have no fixed term but we do have to give notice of I think about 35 days.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

So, while it is not getting a free month, we don't have to pay on our last day, so essentially we get to keep that money (and as you said, it will go to a new place) but we still don't give it to the landlord ?

Thanks!

Yes don't pay the landlord, and you should get your deposit back that day or within a week or so depending on if you have wrecked place and the inventory being checked! :)

I see, so then we just carry that money onto the next place? Would it not be easy to just go as normal and refund the 1000 we paid.... These things are complicated for no reason ha ha.

Thank you again!

Just be careful as you might not get the deposit back the same day that you leave so you will have to cover the €700 for a couple of weeks, better to cover that than the €1000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thanks!
    As you have been in the property for more than 1 year but less than two years, you must give 42 days written notice.

odds_on wrote: »
    As you have been in the property for more than 1 year but less than two years, you must give 42 days written notice.

Yeah I knew it was something around that mark, just couldn't jog my memory :)
    Hopefully it will work out anyway, thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Rent is usually paid in advance, so when you pay a months rent it is for the following month, not the previous month.

The norm when moving into a property is to pay a deposit and the first month up front. This means that if you were to say move in on the 1st January and stay for a year, then your last months rent would be paid on 1st December which would cover you until you move out on 31st December (so you will have made 12 rent payments).

Upon leaving you would get back the money that you paid for the deposit (less any deductions).

You havent clarified how much your rent is (is it €700 a month or €450 a month)? If your monthly rent is €450 then you do not owe the landlord any more upon leaving, provided you are paid up to the start of your last month in the property.

If your rent is €700 and you paid €450 up fron then you may owe the landlord a further €250 upon leaving. This kind of arrangement would be highly unusual though.

The rent is 450, and the deposit was 600 :)

Thanks

Advertisement