Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking

• 23-11-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Not really LC related but more for our age group.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal about drinking. I go out now and then to town, go to gigs and go to gaffs but I really don't get the big deal about it. Some nights in town are good some others are dreadful, I just don't think it's my scene.

I feel like an absolute dry shíte saying it because unless you're on anti biotics then everyone is drinking at every social meeting you go to. And if you say 'I just don't feel like it tonight' you get looked at as if you just said something very weird and bombarded with questions as to why not. I would much rather save the money and the hangover and spend it on something I enjoy. Is anybody else on the same boat as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Alcohol is used as a social lubricant. Some people can't loosen without the substance. They either worry you won't have a good time without it, fear you will judge them if they do something daft, unnerved because you're in so some much control of everything you say or even simply inferior because you don't require it as a social crutch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

I don't drink at all. Mainly cause i dont see how its fun and I dont like the taste of it.
    In my honest opinion you dont need alcohol at all to have a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It'll be over soon, just start drinking guinness now and you'll be 5 years ahead of your friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Here's a novel idea that can make it appear as if you're drinking loads but you're barely drinking at all. This can be done without help but works much better if one of your friends is in on it:

Buy two different drinks (they have to be visually different — e.g. get a bottle of beer and a pint of beer.)

Hold one for half and hour barely drinking from it and then swap it for the second one, giving the illusion that you're on to drink number two. Continue this every half hour or so.

PROS: People will constantly see you with a different drink and assume you're knocking them back and not bother you with questions of why you're not drinking.

CONS: Requires a bit of effort and you need somewhere safe to stash your spare drink.

Plenty of people don't drink though and you'll probably set an example for others who'll then feel less pressure to drink themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Here's a novel idea that can make it appear as if you're drinking loads but you're barely drinking at all. This can be done without help but works much better if one of your friends is in on it:

Buy two different drinks (they have to be visually different — e.g. get a bottle of beer and a pint of beer.)

Hold one for half and hour barely drinking from it and then swap it for the second one, giving the illusion that you're on to drink number two. Continue this every half hour or so.

PROS: People will constantly see you with a different drink and assume you're knocking them back and not bother you with questions of why you're not drinking.

CONS: Requires a bit of effort and you need somewhere safe to stash your spare drink.

Plenty of people don't drink though and you'll probably set an example for others who'll then feel less pressure to drink themselves.

OR instead of going to all this effort, you could just not drink, why pretend to just to please other people?

Noones telling you, you HAVE to drink. Be your own person!

One of my friends in college doesn't drink, never has and still comes to all the sessions and parties and has a great laugh and doesn't seem too bothered by not drinking or people asking him why he's not.

Its your body, not theirs, if you don't wanna drink, then don't drink, don't mind what people think or ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

OR instead of going to all this effort, you could just not drink, why pretend to just to please other people?

Noones telling you, you HAVE to drink. Be your own person!

One of my friends in college doesn't drink, never has and still comes to all the sessions and parties and has a great laugh and doesn't seem too bothered by not drinking or people asking him why he's not.

Its your body, not theirs, if you don't wanna drink, then don't drink, don't mind what people think or ask!

It's just a fun idea as the OP's problem isn't not drinking, it's being made feel like a dry shite for not drinking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I went out and got wrecked most weekends during the leaving cert, I did basically no work at the weekends. I made the last 2 months of school for myself really difficult and strained with my parents. I reckon I could have gotten a bunch more points aswell if I'd gone out less.

Hangovers suck, fact is if you're gonna go out drinking you're not gonna got any work done the next day, and you're probably not gonna do much the afternoon you're going out either.

It probably seems difficult and hard to put it into perspective when you're in leaving cert but it's so worth trying to go out less and getting the work done. It'll all be over in 6 months and then you can come to 1st year college where you'll end up having vodka on toast for breakfast most mornings and I'm not even joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Are you from Ireland or whats the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

If you don't like it, don't do it. You're only what, 15? 16? Who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Alright, the fact is if you drink alot of beer on a night you do not function the same the next day, and the older u get the less u perform after a night out, I am late 30's, used to be able to go out and work the next day, now 5 beers and Im no good the next day, still love a beer but limit it to 4 max now, 5 if its a bit of craic.....but if I have over 5 its a nightmare hangover....just not worth it......so the point in life is "everything" in moderation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I don't see the obsession with drink to be fair. Like I do drink and half a laugh most of the time I go to pubs but nearly every time I go to town it's awful everyone ends up getting into fights etc

But I don't crave drink live for going out at the weekend etc. but then maybe I'm just a bore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Jade. wrote: »
    I don't see the obsession with drink to be fair. Like I do drink and half a laugh most of the time I go to pubs but nearly every time I go to town it's awful everyone ends up getting into fights etc

But I don't crave drink live for going out at the weekend etc. but then maybe I'm just a bore :P

I really don't see the appeal of drinking either. I took my full-pledge a while ago and I'm happy that I did.

You don't need drink to have a good time, being yourself should ensure that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I really don't see the appeal of drinking either. I took my full-pledge a while ago and I'm happy that I did.

You don't need drink to have a good time, being yourself should ensure that.
    I agree . I'm in 5th year and I don't drink . I don't have a desire to drink so why do it just to be cool . I am 15 and find all my friends go on the sesh but it doesn't bother me . You don't have to drink to be cool . Just be your self .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

To be honest, I don't see the big deal about drinking. I go out now and then to town, go to gigs and go to gaffs but I really don't get the big deal about it. Some nights in town are good some others are dreadful, I just don't think it's my scene.

I feel like an absolute dry shíte saying it because unless you're on anti biotics then everyone is drinking at every social meeting you go to. And if you say 'I just don't feel like it tonight' you get looked at as if you just said something very weird and bombarded with questions as to why not. I would much rather save the money and the hangover and spend it on something I enjoy. Is anybody else on the same boat as me?

aww i am the exact same as you! :) i go out every now and then but not often , i would rather spend my money on clothes lol i just think if i'm not enjoying it that much i'm gonna be nice to my liver, honestly whenever i go out nobody notices that i don't drink that much because they are drunk, just have one drink they probably won't notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm surprised you've got internet connection at the convent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »

Ah now. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

0mega wrote: »
    Think you're a bit off there ... nuns take vows to abstain from certain things, but alcohol isn't one of them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fresco_007

At our age you do get looks, but as you get older people will respect that you don't drink and probably wish they didn't!

Last time we were out this happened, as I tend to go out with older people, one guy wasn't drinking and we asked why and he just said he didn't drink, we all said ah fair enough and fair duece to ya! In the next round of shots we got him a shot of water, so he didn't feel left out!

Don't feel pressured or anything, if it's not your thing fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

I started drinking in October. I had never planned on drinking ever. Never wanted to, never felt any real pressure to drink, and didn't feel like I was missing out. In fact my attitude to drink was similar to what my attitude to smoking is now. If a friend started drinking, then I'd feel disappointed as if they were on drugs or something. :rolleyes:

Anyway as I got older I kind got over that whole thing and started opening my mind up to the prospect of drink. Drank at a party a few months ago and loved it. I don't drink often as I can get extremely violent when I'm drunk and it's just not safe for me but mainly my friends, etc. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Think you're a bit off there ... nuns take vows to abstain from certain things, but alcohol isn't one of them! ;)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Godot. wrote: »
    Alcohol is used as a social lubricant. Some people can't loosen without the substance. They either worry you won't have a good time without it, fear you will judge them if they do something daft, unnerved because you're in so some much control of everything you say or even simply inferior because you don't require it as a social crutch. :)

That is an awesome quote, I feel I need to remember it or write it down.

I don't drink because when I'm around my friends out I just loosen up and get a bit hyper naturally / much more talkative, I don't need it and never wanted to spend my money on it.

I don't smoke, never touched drugs or anything either. I don't control alot of what happens in my life, but I can control those factors!

People ask me sure, but I just tell em I don't need it, don't want it, and they can clearly see I'm having fun without it so I don't usually get more questions.

I don't know what some peoples fixation to ask about it is - maybe deep down they wish they didnt need it so much as a social crutch idk.

Sometimes I get a bit of respect, or people don't seem phased by it, and that's nice. My friend's are not too bothered by it anyways!
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I agree . I'm in 5th year and I don't drink . I don't have a desire to drink so why do it just to be cool . I am 15 and find all my friends go on the sesh but it doesn't bother me . You don't have to drink to be cool . Just be your self .

The whole desire to be ''cool'' thing sort of fades away as you get older, atleast from my view people my age (18/19) don't seem to strive so hard to be ''cool''.

Advertisement