Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porsche 912

• 23-11-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

On the brink of buying one of these from America but have never sat in one let alone driven one.

Anyone have one in Dublin that I can just sit into to make sure I fit!

Under no illusions about the performance but would like to at least see one in the flesh before I buy one sight unseen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Oooh, I've always wanted one. I should have bought 6 years ago before the prices had crept up...

Are you going for an early or 'E'?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

This is the one I'm considering. Price seems reasonable to me.

Its an early 1.6 1968 with a light restoration.

Strong money perhaps but I'd rather buy something decent that wont break my heart too much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31392838@N04/sets/72157623692485609/with/6801576254/

Those pics are from January.... Did you see it on Thesamba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

That Brit chap in LA, Magnus Walker, restores Porsches - check his stuff.
    Few in Holland /Belgium as well, fly over in 1 hr to check them out, drive back ??:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks chaps. I think Magnus walker cars are a bit out of my price range!

Thesamba is a great site thanks never found it before.

Prices are all over the place. Just want a decent driver but not a dog either.

Try asking on Volkszone or DDK, somebody might be willing to part with theirs and you have the option to drive before you buy.

Thanks chaps. I think Magnus walker cars are a bit out of my price range!

Thesamba is a great site thanks never found it before.

Prices are all over the place. Just want a decent driver but not a dog either.

It's a combination of price/travel-shipping back costs etc.
    (Like a chap I met today who had to travel Cork-Dublin-Cork just to sign a Trailfinders visa form :mad: Would have been cheaper for him to go to a local agent in the long run :rolleyes: )

When you factor in shipping from US or just driving the car back from UK /EU, time off work etc - THAT'S your total cost :cool:

Capri wrote: »

(Like a chap I met today who had to travel Cork-Dublin-Cork just to sign a Trailfinders visa form :mad: Would have been cheaper for him to go to a local agent in the long run :rolleyes: )

When you factor in shipping from US or just driving the car back from UK /EU, time off work etc - THAT'S your total cost :cool:

Very true. Shipping is going to run me circa 2k USD so not too bad really.

Not a great selection of this type ofcar even in the UK.

I don't think I'll mind have a lhd car.

Those pics are from January.... Did you see it on Thesamba?

Some of the pics are a little bit newer.

The seller is going to take some more up to date ones soon for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Maybe this guy will let you sit in his.It won't be driving anywhere without some tlc.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4083305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

From that equation you have to subtract the fun factor in driving back from wherever ......

I don't think I'll mind have a lhd car.

The insurance co. will tho' ! But maybe there's not much of a € difference :confused:

Not saying it's a big job, but getting it to a US port, and letting a lot of others drive it after you've bought it - ro-ro ship/container etc will take it's toll in interest. Know a chap who imported a Caddy tho so not sure how he did it, but it's here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Have you had a look at what's available on the continent?

invest4deepvalue.com

The insurance co. will tho' ! But maybe there's not much of a € difference :confused:

Not saying it's a big job, but getting it to a US port, and letting a lot of others drive it after you've bought it - ro-ro ship/container etc will take it's toll in interest. Know a chap who imported a Caddy tho so not sure how he did it, but it's here now.

Insurance company (first Ireland i'm dealing with) are fine with it being a left hander.

No difference at all I think in premium.

Try asking on Volkszone or DDK, somebody might be willing to part with theirs and you have the option to drive before you buy.

Thanks Kenny will check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

The dealer who has that 912 deals a good bit in unrestored european classics like gullwing motors in NJ,just findout if its a local car cause
    the climate in Washington is not exactly classic friendly!;)

68deville wrote: »
    The dealer who has that 912 deals a good bit in unrestored european classics like gullwing motors in NJ,just findout if its a local car cause
    the climate in Washington is not exactly classic friendly!;)

Yup already checked. Arizona I think.

Which is fairly dry I think and no salt on the roads either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Yup already checked. Arizona I think.

Which is fairly dry I think and no salt on the roads either.

No worries there, it is extremely dry and hot there. No need for salt since it probably hasn't snowed in AZ since the ice age :)

Have you got the VIN number and checked the history? If the car was owned in various US states throughout it's life, that will all show up in a Carfax report or the like.

Are you planning to have it checked out by a mechanic before you commit to buying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

Remember that you will have to pay customs duty and VAT in addition to VRT because the car is being imported from outside the EU. As a rough guide you can expect to be charged at least 25% of the purchase and shipping costs for this.

Remember that you will have to pay customs duty and VAT in addition to VRT because the car is being imported from outside the EU. As a rough guide you can expect to be charged at least 25% of the purchase and shipping costs for this.

Thanks John

I had no idea about this!

I wrongly assumed it was just the VRT of €200 to be paid along with some fees in customs.

Thanks very much

My memory is a little fuzzy (I imported from US in 2008), but I think landing it in UK will mean 17.5% VAT on the total (including shipping) and £50 Duty (EU built car).

Thanks John

I had no idea about this!

I wrongly assumed it was just the VRT of €200 to be paid along with some fees in customs.

Thanks very much

Get a STIFF WHISKEY and read this - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/index.html
    :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

bbsrs wrote: »
    Maybe this guy will let you sit in his.It won't be driving anywhere without some tlc.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4083305

it must be des bishop, or tommy tiernan having a laugh.. €12,500 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

A little more tha 25% , when I did it , it was 23% vat plus 10% import duty so 33% of (the cost of the car + cost of shipping) then my car was less than 30 years old so I had to pay 36% of omsp on top of that .
    A car that cost me €7500 including shipping ended up costing me €14000 on the potholed roads of beautiful Ireland. And a cool grand a year in road tax . What a good deal for a 24 year old car. I got a good clean car though and it's probably worth what I paid in total for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A little more tha 25% , when I did it , it was 23% vat plus 10% import duty so 33% of (the cost of the car + cost of shipping) then my car was less than 30 years old so I had to pay 36% of omsp on top of that .
    A car that cost me €7500 including shipping ended up costing me €14000 on the potholed roads of beautiful Ireland. And a cool grand a year in road tax . What a good deal for a 24 year old car. I got a good clean car though and it's probably worth what I paid in total for it.

That's mad, Ted.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Could save a bit going via UK so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Could save a bit going via UK so..

Checked Sterling today have you ? Brutal for imports atmosphere.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement