Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildwood New Jersey J1

Options
  • 23-11-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Thought I would put this up because last year when I was looking for feedback on the place there really was none! Went to Wildwood on a J1 last year and had the best summer of my life. Its a perfect J1 spot. Wildwood is on the Jersey Shore so its pretty much a bigger version of what you see on the MTV show. There are loads of jobs available on the boardwalk. The majority of shops on the boardwalk only open for the 3 months of the summer so they need to be fully staffed. If its chamber maiding you are looking for, there are LOADS of motels in the area cos its such a tourist spot. Everywhere you'll need to go is within walking distance, think there are literally only 3 taxis in the whole place cos its so easy to get around. Bikes are easily gotten if you want to make life even easier for yourself! Now for the social side, there are four Irish nights a week in different pubs all along the same road, at the weekends you can get a taxi to north wildwood if you want proper nightclubs! Between everyone working on the boardwalk and going on the same nights out, youll know all the irish out there in no time. Also, as the summer goes on, loads of americans show up on the irish nights cuz thats where the craic is! Other than drinking, theres the beach obviously, three piers of rides with everything from haunted houses to bungee jumping type things and the cinema is just a bus ride away in rio grande. Had a brilliant time would recommend to anyone! Feel free to ask me any questions on the place!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 HogieBear92

hey man myself and 2 lads seriously thinking of heading to Wildwood on J1. We were recently debating whether or not we'll go to this place anymore because, like you said, can't find much about the place! Just really want to know what accommodation prices are like? what was your gaff like etc? Also what was the crowd like over there. i.e young crowd up for the craic, foreigners, latina's etc? Honestly, we're just completely up for having a laugh! finishing college this year in UL and just want to go mad! So will Wildwood be able to provide this? haha my friend wants to know what are nights out like also, night club closing hours and pubs etc? also also also was there many Irish J1ers over there last year? so basically pretty much everything! sorry for all the questions!! Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Our house was 90 a week, it was a really nice place tho and the landlord was very good to us. Most landlords just collect the rent and leave you be, which suits alot of people too. The rent varies from $75-125 so make sure to have a good look around when you get there because there are cheap places out there. Whatever you do DONT move into east roberts avenue! The houses themselves varied too, our house had 7 in it, and wed beds, other houses I went to had up to 15 in them and the beds were just matteresses on the floor but to be honest those houses were the best craic, everyone living together got to know each other really well and there was always somethin going on in them. The people out there are mostly irish which surprised me cuz as you said yourself theres not much talk about wildwood on message boards and that kind of thing, alot of the irish there are from the north so prepare for deadly accents! :) Think you said that you were a lad so youll be very pleased to know there are wayyy more girls out there than boys so youll have the pick of the girls! Apart from the irish, there are alot of eastern europeans out there too but you prob wont see many of them cuz they work all the hours god send and NEVER go out! The nights out are brilliant. 2 irish lads fly out every summer and organise them, theres irish nights in different bars every night of the week. Theres all the usual drinks offers, theme nights, dancing on the bars and the two irish lads do the djing too so they always provide good banter! Then the proper nightclubs are in north wildwood, they are probably the only places youll ever have to get a taxi to, they are great craic and have more of a mix of people out there if you want to get a break from the irish! Closing time is roughly 2 o clock in pubs and clubs but there are always house parties after or you can head to the beach. Watching the sunrise there at 6 in the mornin is always a good place to bring the ladyeez!! Just to clarify the pubs in Wildwood all have dancefloors so its not just sittin around a table chatting like at home! Em i think thats all you asked! Let me know if theres anything more you want to know. But id REALLY really recommend it, had the best summer ever there. Everyones just out there to do the same thing- work as little as possible and have as much craic as possible :) Its such a laid back place, everythings at arms reach, theres a good bit to do and youll know everyone in the place by the time you leave...DO ITTTTT!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kate1212

Hey, we're 9 Irish girls also looking into Wildwood to go this summer on a J1, would love to get in touch with anyone whos also thinking of going?? :) Also wanted to ask if theres any issues of there after Sandy??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shnapback

Hey there funki munkee, there are a group of us heading to wildwood in May, was just wondering whats the story with accommodation? did you sort it before you go? or would you have any names of places so we could start looking? we're planning on cramming about 10 of us into a small house to keep costs down, is that what most people do? any other info would be great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smcardle

kate1212 wrote: »
    Hey, we're 9 Irish girls also looking into Wildwood to go this summer on a J1, would love to get in touch with anyone whos also thinking of going?? :) Also wanted to ask if theres any issues of there after Sandy??

Hi I'm heading on the j1 on my own, looking at wildwood! Did u get anything sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Beckyob

Hey there, Myself and 5 other girls form Wicklow are heading over to Wildwood at the start of June. Finding it hard enough to sort out accommodation! Do any of you guys have much sorted at this stage? There's only 6 of us heading over so we're hoping to bump into more Irish over there and just have as much craic as possible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I wouldnt worry too much about accommodation, its nearly impossible to sort before you head over. I tried last year and was worried sick by the time I went over, but once I got there realised everyone was in the same boat! Wildwood just doesnt do booking in advance! You can literally just walk the streets, there will be signs in the window of houses saying what ones are open for students and available to be rented. If you havent already found it, look for studentstowildwood2013 on facebook, theyll send out information emails about accom, nights out, the area etc etc nearer to the summer, and people will be posting on it who are looking for people to share with and that have found houses and want to fill them. Posters are also put up in the internet cafe on Pacific Avenue and announcements can be made at the irish nights out once you get there! As for Sandy, Wildwood was barely affected by it, and is operating as usual after it! In relation to travelling on your own, Wildwood is the perfect place to go, the irish become a very close knit community over there and youll have no problem meeting others through work and living together. No matter what accom you go for, the tenants will fit in as many students as possible, the norm is probably ten, so even people who do travel in big groups of 5 or 6 will have to bunk up with people they dont know! My point is that houses will be mixed with big groups, so theyll be a great way of meeting people, and if your on ur own u can easily slot into these houses cuz everyone wont know each other anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Beckyob

That all sounds great! Thanks a million :) Can't wait for it now, don't have to worry as much!

Advertisement