Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beautician waxed half my face!!!! Not asked for!

• 23-11-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I got a lip waxing today and decided to do the sides of the face too as my side locks can be a bit thick. I have had this done before and it just needs a tiny bit of wax.

The beautician waxed wayyy over what I asked for - she waxed over half of each side of my face and took off all the small blonde downy hair all over my cheeks and jawline. I am so upset I feel like crying. Makeup won't stick to my cheeks now so it looks like I have a weird skin condition if I wear foundation and I'm so worried that the hair will grow back thicker and darker!

What kind of beautician waxes like that!?

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I got a lip waxing today and decided to do the sides of the face too as my side locks can be a bit thick.

Can you really control the hairs you decide to wax off your face? Bleaching would have been a better option in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Get aloe vera gel to cool the skin and I'd recommend going back and say something to her so she won't do the same to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Can you really control the hairs you decide to wax off your face? Bleaching would have been a better option in my opinion!

Well the problem is that it is thicker than the normal downy facial hair everyone has. So if I bleached it it would still be very noticeable. I have had it waxed before and never had an issue. I don't think it should be any harder to control how much is waxed there than what is waxed on the eyebrows or lip. I called it 'sides of the face' as that is what beauticians call it; it's actually just sideburn waxing.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Get aloe vera gel to cool the skin and I'd recommend going back and say something to her so she won't do the same to someone else.

Thanks I will apply that. It was very red too and it looks blotchy now. I have a feeling I may get a rash! :-\ I will admit I will find it difficult saying it to her as I am quite shy.

Does anyone know of any trick to make makeup stick to the skin? I have tried primer, concealer, powder etc. It all seems to slide off. :-\

So terrified it will grow back thick and fuzzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

To be fair if you asked for the sides of your face to be waxed it was just a mis communication, beauty therapists aren't mind readers u need to be specific if you ask for the sides of your face waxed that's what they will do! Your make up won't stick until you do a light exfoliation on the area as my brows are the same after a wax! Aslong as the area doesn't feel raw or sensitised that is.

Shauna16 wrote: »
    To be fair if you asked for the sides of your face to be waxed it was just a mis communication, beauty therapists aren't mind readers u need to be specific if you ask for the sides of your face waxed that's what they will do! Your make up won't stick until you do a light exfoliation on the area as my brows are the same after a wax! Aslong as the area doesn't feel raw or sensitised that is.

No I explained it was just the sideburns I wanted done and showed her where exactly. Cheers for the exfoliation tip, will try that. Unfortunately I got a rash after so the area is really sensitive right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Surely you would have felt or seen where the wax was being applied? Why didn't you say something then? Or if she's done one side without you mysteriously not noticing, how come you let her do the same to the other side?

An as for being too shy to saw anything to her, you need to step up & either say it face to face or write to them (pen & paper, not email) expressing your disappointment in the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I wouldn't suggest exfoliating the waxed skin just yet..wait until the skin has calmed down completely first. Remember when the skin is waxed it takes dead skin with it this would explain the unevenness with your make-up.

In the mean time apply calamine lotion or cooling tea tree lotions.When the skin recovers do a light exfoliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I'd just like to point out for your peace of mind that hair which is waxed or shaved does not grow back thicker or darker. That's a common belief that a lot of people have but is absolutely not true.

OU812 wrote: »
    Surely you would have felt or seen where the wax was being applied? Why didn't you say something then? Or if she's done one side without you mysteriously not noticing, how come you let her do the same to the other side?

An as for being too shy to saw anything to her, you need to step up & either say it face to face or write to them (pen & paper, not email) expressing your disappointment in the service.

Yes I did feel as though there was a lot of wax but honestly I didn't realise how much until it was done. It was all super quick - wax on, strip off immediately. In fact, I had makeup on at the time and she didn't even clean the area first, but rather just put the wax straight on. She didn't apply any lotion after either. One side is a lot worse and that's the side that was done second. The first isn't too bad but is more than usual. It was really only when I left and checked a mirror that I saw how extensive it was.

I would be quite shy in instances like that. For example, I've never complained when I have received bad service at hairdressers' either. Unfortunately, I just wouldn't be that assertive in such a situation.
    tan11ie wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest exfoliating the waxed skin just yet..wait until the skin has calmed down completely first. Remember when the skin is waxed it takes dead skin with it this would explain the unevenness with your make-up.

In the mean time apply calamine lotion or cooling tea tree lotions.When the skin recovers do a light exfoliation.

Thanks, I will do that. Hopefully it will clear up soon, although the rash is quite bad and I doubt it will.
    Improbable wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out for your peace of mind that hair which is waxed or shaved does not grow back thicker or darker. That's a common belief that a lot of people have but is absolutely not true.

Thank you so much for that. This is my biggest worry at the moment.

Does anyone know if threading would cause the same problem re: makeup not adhering?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Does anyone know if threading would cause the same problem re: makeup not adhering?

I've never had a problem with applying makeup after threading, it's usually my eyebrows I get done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I know you say that you're quite shy but really you should go back and show the beautician your face. It might be that she is new to the salon and needs more training, the fact that she didn't clean or apply after wax is bad practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You poor thing, that sounds awful. I would be up the wall too worrying about regrowth but hopefully it will be fine. I find that waxed areas regrow more softly all the time although I've never tried waxing anything on my face.

As for the beautician I think that if you didn't have an obvious issue with facial hair on your cheeks that she should have been careful to clarify exactly what you wanted done. Surely as a beautician she knew that you would have issues with makeup adhering to your skin after waxing. I can't imagine why she would have just got slap happy with the wax. Surely it's not common to wax a full half face if there's no visible excess hair problem with it. Sounds like she either was unprofessional and had no clue what she was doing or that she didn't have the confidence to ask exactly what you wanted and just took a guess. I'd complain if I was you (although I'm also very shy so maybe I wouldnt, but in this case I think it is warranted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Improbable wrote: »
    BS. Shaving does make the hair grow back coarser and darker. Waxing doesn't so don't worry OP.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

cat_dog wrote: »
    BS. Shaving does make the hair grow back coarser and darker. Waxing doesn't so don't worry OP.

No, Shaving does not make the hair do anything on regrowth, as its not regrowth. What you have with shaving is a blunted end which makes it feel more stubbly- Possibly it looks marginally darker because the hair end does not taper out the way it would if left naturally. The reason a waxing regrowth is finer is because the new hair is younger and newer, as its growing brand new from the follicle.

Advertisement