Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop just shut down

Options
  • 23-11-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

i just had a very strange experience with my laptop. all of a sudden a warning came up saying that window action centre stopped working, the wireless stopped and then my laptop just switched off. i did a malware scan and virus scan only last week. has anything like this happened anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Can you run windows in safe mode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

ye i could i suppose. what should i do once i run in safe mode, more malware and virus scans?

Did you just recently download any new programs or files.
    download a program called speedfan that gives you some idea about your hardware
    run a scan in safe mode, do you have any files on the drive you might want to save.

not that i can think of. i dont really have an option of restoring to factory settings or anything, i have a thesis due in 3 weeks so cant really afford to lose much time or files

Make sure you back up your files then just in case the hard drive is on the way out, last thing you want is to lose your thesis work.

• Advertisement

Did it shut down normally or did it just power down? If the latter then it could be an overheating problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

is it sony vaoi by any chance

tacofries wrote: »
    is it sony vaoi by any chance

yes it is. is this a common problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be overheating by the sounds of it, sudden shut downs tend to be. Do backup your data now while you can though jic it is hard disk failure. Does the laptop get quite warm during use?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Could be overheating by the sounds of it, sudden shut downs tend to be. Do backup your data now while you can though jic it is hard disk failure. Does the laptop get quite warm during use?

Nick

ye it does get pretty warm allright and the fan is pretty loud. i have a fan tray that it sits on but i wasnt using that last night when it happened. i use it every now and again for games and 1 or 2 cpu heavy programs so been thinking of getting a ssd to take the pressure off. not sure if it will work or if its the right decision

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    ye it does get pretty warm allright and the fan is pretty loud. i have a fan tray that it sits on but i wasnt using that last night when it happened. i use it every now and again for games and 1 or 2 cpu heavy programs so been thinking of getting a ssd to take the pressure off. not sure if it will work or if its the right decision

The heat wouldn't be generated by the hard disk, cpu and gpu/video chips would be the prime suspects. If you get a aeresol of compressed air give the grills at the side a few blasts, you may need to take the laptop appart to properly clean it (if not comfortable doing this bring it somewhere to get it done).
    Turn the machine on and make sure the fan underneath is also spinning up, sometimes the fans die or controllers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Well I don't know if its common but its happening to me a lot and the laptop is only 3 months old! It freezes up all the time then sometimes shuts itself down. It is particularly bad when I have itunes on. I am going to return it because it is wrecking my head at this stage!

Hi tacofries, this is first time it has happened to me and my laptop is nearly 2 years old, id be returning it if i was you too. not on. best of luck with it and thanks for all the help and info guys, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    yes it is. is this a common problem?
    what model vaio?

Advertisement