Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charities

• 23-11-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

In the supermarket earlier and they're collecting for a parents group in the local secondary school,last week it was a camogie team,previous to that there was similarly obscure groups looking for money.My question is how come every tom dick and hairy group can grab a bucket and start collecting,is there not a licence required.p.s.just remembered the boating club of all things was collecting a couple of months ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

tell him to feck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

kneemos wrote: »
    In the supermarket earlier and they're collecting for a parents group in the local secondary school,last week it was a camogie team,previous to that there was similarly obscure groups looking for money.My question is how come every tom dick and hairy group can grab a bucket and start collecting,is there not a licence required.p.s.just remembered the boating club of all things was collecting a couple of months ago.
    Harry said they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

What happend to Harry? I don't like the sound of this Hairy character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

What happend to Harry? I don't like the sound of this Hairy character.

i think she said hairy larry, but dont quote me on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Kids playing sports and asking the local community to help fund it. Ooh the cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I usually ask the bag packers what they are collecting for.

The usual response I get is a timid "....s'for the local place and that", no enthusiasm whatsoever. In fact, they look shocked that someone has even dared engage them in conversation, they might as well just say "look pal, I'm here to pack the bag, now let me squash the **** ourra your bread and gis 2 youro".

No idea, I think he's being hassled for cash by some lad called Tom, with a hairy dick who keeps grabbing his bucket??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

F*ck'em

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

What really bugs me with these is the people packing, young or old, haven't a notion of how to pack, e.g. bread at bottom of a bag with bag of spuds crushing it, or leaky bottle of domestos in with fresh fruit:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Charity supermarket bag fillers get on my wick. Mostly they are kids and just do not how to put your shopping in, they end up squeezing the delicate stuff like my loaf of bread. Also when I pay at the till by card, I honestly do not have change on me, they sorta give you the guilty look.
    Hence I always try to go to a till without the bag packers and look how big the queue is in the self service before I make a decision which way I pay for my shopping!;)

• Advertisement

What really bugs me with these is the people packing, young or old, haven't a notion of how to pack, e.g. bread at bottom of a bag with bag of spuds crushing it, or leaky bottle of domestos in with fresh fruit:-)

Which bag do you prefer to put your leaky bottle of Domestos in? I hope there's a massive discount on that, seems like you're asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

They have to apply for permit and are allowed 2 fundraisers per year.

I don't mind giving to local collections, but the likes of concern etc where CEO makes 140k can suck on it. 1 guy collecting for concern for a day would barely collect enough to pay his CEO to go for a $hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kids playing sports and asking the local community to help fund it. Ooh the cheek.
    By all means, ask. Don't try and fúcking guilt me into giving you money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

mmmm.....bleachy

I don't mind the bag packers, sure they're just kids raising a few bob for sports/scouts/guides etc. Can't see the big deal tbh and try and always give them a few bob. I'm a crap bag packer anyway, can't see how they could feck it up more than I do.

These hairy dicked toms though, they're a whole new ball game and I shall be boycotting them going forward.
    For once I think a call to Joe duffy is required, if only for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kids have parents who can pay for their kids sports.Some of these groups just seem to be taking the piss,theres no problem giving to a worthy cause but why should I help someone go sailing?

Kids have parents who can pay for their kids sports.Some of these groups just seem to be taking the piss,theres no problem giving to a worthy cause but why should I help someone go sailing?

What's in it for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Charity starts at home :pac:

So, you're from S. county Dublin then:D Ours here just want to buy new Hurls.

What's in it for you?

Well that's not cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Charity starts at home :pac:
    ...and that's where it ends in this house.

Pottler wrote: »
    So, you're from S. county Dublin then:D Ours here just want to buy new Hurls.

Freaking parents can buy hurls.You'll find boat clubs all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

What really annoys me about these parasites is when they pack my bread at the bottom of the bag or put eggs in with heavy items!

Big Bottom wrote: »
    What really annoys me about these parasites is when they pack my bread at the bottom of the bag or put eggs in with heavy items!
    Probably because they think the bottoms bigger.

You trying too hard potler

Big Bottom wrote: »
    You trying too hard potler
    I'm tired. I may well be burnt out. My sarcy gland has been giving me trouble lately, it might be time to start being serious and post in Motors, but I'm fighting the light. Sorry BB. Take it away.

Im sorry I made you feel sad.

:(

That's ok, sniff, I'm fine really, sob... Did ye see that other thread about Dunnes being slated for getting wound up tho??? That'll knock a few bag-packers plans if that comes off. Of course, it could just be a wind up.

I reckon it's dunne for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Thought the plastic bag tax would have killed these off?

Advertisement