Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The quality looks great for the price tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

chewed wrote: »
    Very good quality for that price! What's it like during the night?

Haven't actually used it at night yet!! Haven't really had the chance to use it at all other than the little test I did up and down to tesco that day!

I might be over to the U.K. next week, and will hopefully get a proper test of it, but for something like €17 all in (free shipping from Amazon), you can't really lose!!
    It's just something I can throw in the laptop bag and take with me, and if it ever gets broken? meh! €17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd avoid this one anyway, if getting an E-Prance, at a minimum, get an E-Prance mini 0801, compact, reliable, cheap and excellent quality.
    0803, 0805, 0806 if you want to spend a little more for the updated models.

The mobius is quite popular too, but it doesn't have a playback screen like the mini series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Wow, a 91% reduction in price from £399 to £37, surely a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Put one in my Amazon basket but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. The discount caught my attention but still don't know if it's suitable for me. Seems quite big for a winscreen???

Should I hold off for something smaller.... Is it really worth 300 quid????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I have that one, quality is good. I do get some interference on my radio though, tried it in another car and it was fine.
    I use a class 10 32g card with it aswell.
    Sometimes when i go back and look at footage there can be some missing when it loops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Are there any car manufactures that have built in dash cams as an optional extra?
    There are lots of cars with cameras all over them.. but are they recording and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

PeteK* wrote: »
    Are there any car manufactures that have built in dash cams as an optional extra?
    There are lots of cars with cameras all over them.. but are they recording and stuff?

I don't believe their is any recording facility yet, I wonder is their a way to connect a hard-drive some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

None that I know of.

Would be fecking great if a manufacturer offered a USB socket at the front of the interior light unit, so you could connect a short cable without having to route it all through the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

I have an 805 in my car. very good quality recording in both day and night. The only thing i have noticed is that it does get a bit warm when recording, also I think mine is slightly out of focus. Its easy enough to fix but I'm too lazy to take the device apart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

They don't no, currently just as a driver aid. In time though, it's conceivable that this will be added in.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

A 32GB card stores about 5 hours, so you should have 10 hours recording. Is it enough for you?

I have the unit with GPS and no internal memory. From what Ive read I think you can only record to either the internal memory or to the SD card not both ( if the 8 gig is full it wont start recording to the 64 gig card). Depending on the resolution you set the footage to record at and how many trips you do you would be able to get a day or so's recording out of it.

I would recommend the application register viewer (Google is your friend) to view the footage. E-prance has a built in application for view footage when the unit is connected to a PC, but it is a bit flaky and will sometimes not display all your footage

The trick is (for me anyway) is to have 2 SD cards of equal size, that way I can take one into the house to review/copy footage, and have a spare to put back into the camera immediately.
    Also with this, If I'm going on a long days driving (5-6 hours), I'd bring the spare sd card with me, and if I did see something I'd want to review later, I can swap out the card at the next opportunity. I'm not a big fan of locking the clips while I'm driving, as it's just a distraction, and the incident could have happened over 2 3 minute loops.

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of locking the clips while I'm driving, as it's just a distraction, and the incident could have happened over 2 3 minute loops.

If the incident involves your car the dash cam should lock the clip itself because the G-sensor activates the lock.

If the incident involves your car the dash cam should lock the clip itself because the G-sensor activates the lock.

I have it disabled.

In the event I am involved in an incident, I doubt I'd be driving an additional 5 hours to allow the camera to go back and write over the original clip before having the chance to store/save the clips of the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My dashcam buy post was in # 460 above.

Six months ago I was cut in by an overtaking car. The contact was minimized as I saw him coming.
    The next day I brought the dashcam video at the nearest Garda station, five screenprints, and showed the car damage.
    He denied contact, wasn't on that road, my word against his, and all that.
    The Garda showed him (and his father) the proof. I got beautiful pictures of his car reg. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

diomed wrote: »
    My dashcam buy post was in # 460 above.

Six months ago I was cut in by an overtaking car. The contact was minimized as I saw him coming.
    The next day I brought the dashcam video at the nearest Garda station, five screenprints, and showed the car damage.
    He denied contact, wasn't on that road, my word against his, and all that.
    The Garda showed him (and his father) the proof. I got beautiful pictures of his car reg. :)
    Ok folks looking at the eprance dashcams 806 seems hard to source? How is the 801 in comparison?

Ok folks looking at the eprance dashcams 806 seems hard to source? How is the 801 in comparison?

I have both, the 0801 is brilliant, reliable, it's now in my rear window, replaced up front by an 0806, which is technicially better than the 0801, but as I'm sure you'll read, there are/were teething problems with it, but once overcome, it's great.

I believe the 0803 & 0805 are better than the 0801, and more reliable than the 0806, but not having them, I can't say.

overall though I'd say the 0801 is better value for the price paid for it compared to price paid for the 0806

(I got my 0801 from amazon, the 0806 from gear best)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

My 0805 should be ready to collect tomorrow :)

Where from?

That looks like the same packaging i got. You can tell if its not an 805 if it has less than 5 resolution settings to choose from.

more info:

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/

• Advertisement

not too long I'm afraid. 2 - 5 mins at the most.

one of the fun things to look forward to when installing a dash cam:D . I drive an octavia and found it fairly easy to hide the cable/ install a secondary cigarette socket . Might be a bit more easier / harder on different models of cars.

My cam is mounted behind the review mirror. I mounted mine slightly down from the mirror so I can see the LED. Its just for my piece of mind that the cam is recording etc.

If your question means "how long can the cam work without power cable", then in my case, a mini0801, it lasts a bit more than one hour.
    I was amazed whent I did the test! :)

You can buy the hardwire kits on eBay for about €10-€12, I have 2, pity I haven't gotten them installed yet!!
    But the supplied cables are both long enough to go around and under, and both terminate at my centre console, where I have a socket, and I use a multi adaptor to get them all plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you hold down the up arrow button it will let you into the settings menu. From there you can adjust the length of each recording.

There is a sub folder on the root of the camera. Inside of it there is an executable file that is used to review footage from the cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

No. You just pressed the up arrow. Hold it down. Then it will go to sub menu. I have 0801 and it is same menu. Change recording to continuous .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I should have also said, press the ok button first to stop recording before trying to get to the sub menu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I have that Motion detect off, It will keep recording at lights etc, power is still going to the camera.

I got the 0806, these are good cameras and you get the updates on the site here - at least for 0806 models.

http://www.mini0806.com/update.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I was going to post some tool overtaking on hatching coming up the Howth road but the 0803 hasn't recording anything since June - Any ideas? Card has 500Mb on it but not recording anything.

EDIT: Note to self - plugging it in helps.

I've settled on the Nextbase 402G pro!
    Had the mini 0806 before this and whilst is good, I still find the Nextbase sharper and easier to view stills and registrations.
    One big issue I had with the 0806 is the uneven focus on the lens!
    There is some DIY instructions for fixing this but I wouldn't attempt it, they are so fragile most users would destroy it!
    Night driving on the 402g is excellent!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was going to post some tool overtaking on hatching coming up the Howth road but the 0803 hasn't recording anything since June - Any ideas? Card has 500Mb on it but not recording anything.

EDIT: Note to self - plugging it in helps.

Just on a side note, my möbius stopped recording this year also. Turns out the memory card was just fecked. I put it down to it reaching its max amount of record, delete and record again cycles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement