Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Class 10 means its the fastest writing speed available at present, much faster than Class 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

How much does it cost to hardwire a dash cam on my BMW e60. Have it currently connected to the cig lighter thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭honda boi

How much does it cost to hardwire a dash cam on my BMW e60. Have it currently connected to the cig lighter thanks

I used this:
    http://s.aliexpress.com/MBnEvMjY
    And this:
    http://s.aliexpress.com/juqmmYni
    So like €4 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Had mine done at Halford's, cost €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've an issue with my Nextbase 312 cam. When I playback anything that has been recorded, there is a noise every second throughout the video. It's like a buzzing or a vibration noise. I've checked that the mount is on right and all seems ok. Has anyone come across anything similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Miike wrote: »
    Is the general consensus in the DashCam community that the DDPAI M6 Plus is the best cam for cost balance between quality and price? I've an itchy finger to buy it and seems it comes fairly highly recommended around the internet? Any input appreciated :)

I've not been bowled over by it!!

Quality is meh, the €40 G1W I use as a travel dash cam is better quality in my opinion.

honda boi wrote: »

How would I go about doing that looks hard to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

How would I go about doing that looks hard to do

This is how I installed my nextbase a few years ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97649372

TheBody wrote: »

i know its looks easy but i id be afraid i might make a mess of it and damage something.how much does it cost to professionally fit thanks

• Advertisement

Just looking at some video files from my DDPai M6+ there and there seems to be a big audio sync gap!!

the sound is about 10-15 seconds ahead of the video!! Anyone else have this issue.

note* I've never updated the software since I go the camera about 3/4 months ago!

TheBody wrote: »

i know its looks easy but i id be afraid i might make a mess of it and damage something.how much does it cost to professionally fit thanks

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've an issue with my Nextbase 312 cam. When I playback anything that has been recorded, there is a noise every second throughout the video. It's like a buzzing or a vibration noise. I've checked that the mount is on right and all seems ok. Has anyone come across anything similar?

I have a Nextbase 202 and coincidentally I checked mine a couple of days back and there was a distortion in sound on the later segments. It was like someone scrunching a crisp bag. I just switched off the microphone as with sound on all you can normally hear is me talking bullsh!t and "Now That's What I call the 80's."

I have a Nextbase 202 and coincidentally I checked mine a couple of days back and there was a distortion in sound on the later segments. It was like someone scrunching a crisp bag. I just switched off the microphone as with sound on all you can normally hear is me talking bullsh!t and "Now That's What I call the 80's."

is it worth letting halfords fitting it on my bmw though incase they make a mistake or put the cam in a crap place

is it worth letting halfords fitting it on my bmw though incase they make a mistake or put the cam in a crap place

You put the camera where you want it, and they'll run the power supply to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Is the general consensus in the DashCam community that the DDPAI M6 Plus is the best cam for cost balance between quality and price? I've an itchy finger to buy it and seems it comes fairly highly recommended around the internet? Any input appreciated
    I've not been bowled over by it!!

Quality is meh, the €40 G1W I use as a travel dash cam is better quality in my opinion.

I agree. Image quality isn't great. Hard to read licence plates, particularly in motion. It is easy to set up and take videos off the camera by removing the SD card. But you do have to sign up to an app to change settings on the camera via your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I agree. Image quality isn't great. Hard to read licence plates, particularly in motion. It is easy to set up and take videos off the camera by removing the SD card. But you do have to sign up to an app to change settings on the camera via your phone.

What do you recommend? :)

• Advertisement

What do you recommend? :)

I loved the mini 0806 the DDPai replaced, and the only reason I changed it was that after about 18 months, the 0806 started shutting down mid journey, which I only noticed after looking for a few files a few times, though it did appear to work ok again after a while, but I just couldn't have 100% confidence it it anymore so got the DDPai.

It is a good camera, with good features and functionality, just the quality is a bit lacking, though thats not a deal breaker, as it will still capture what needs to be captured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

I loved the mini 0806 the DDPai replaced, and the only reason I changed it was that after about 18 months, the 0806 started shutting down mid journey, which I only noticed after looking for a few files a few times, though it did appear to work ok again after a while, but I just couldn't have 100% confidence it it anymore so got the DDPai.

It is a good camera, with good features and functionality, just the quality is a bit lacking, though thats not a deal breaker, as it will still capture what needs to be captured.

I found changing the image quality to 1080p (rather than the higher setting) which has a faster rate of frames per second results in a much better image quality including sharper licence plate images.

I also love the app. It allows me to quickly and easily grap files, see data on trips I've taken and it facilitates easy firmware upgrades which I've had a couple of.

Have to say I'm loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Have the M6+ also, set to 1080p and have found the image and video quality to be excellent. Never had an issue with the app, using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

I personally would highly recommend the M6+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hmm I'm not overly impressed with my m6+ either but it's set to 1440, will give 1080p a try.

I found changing the image quality to 1080p (rather than the higher setting) which has a faster rate of frames per second results in a much better image quality including sharper licence plate images.

I'll give it a try, I've just done a firmware update, so I'll have a look at the files and see how they are, and then try it out at 1080p instead of the 1440p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I recently swapped it to 1440 and have now swapped back to 1080p. Found it to be much better quality on the 1080.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Slowly trying to sell this car on behalf of my dad. Had a few offers and then the person disappears! It's a good car and all new tyres, but it was bought for his girlfriend who is learning to drive, and the insurance is proving to be too high.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/1998-honda-civic/12089821

Car.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

I'm selling this Volvo s40 for my daughter. It's a two owner car she has it since 2010. Only reason for sale is lack of space due to an addition to her family. Lovely car to drive and high spec

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/volvo/s40/08-volvo-s40-2-0d-se-luxury/12242111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

I wasnt impressed with the m6 either and returned it to amazon for a refund. I had been using an sjcam4000 which had better quality than the m6, ive since bought one of the sjcam m20s and will give that a bash when it arrives in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

honda boi wrote: »
    Need more advice for this Möbius .
    Have it hardwired in the car.
    But when I turn the ignition on it starts,but when I crank and start the engine it turns off and I need to push the but to manually to get it working.
    Any advice on what to try?

Not sure it's relevant but I recently updated the firmware on mine to 2.41. Buttons flashed to confirm it worked. I found out a week later it hadn't been recording anything since. I flashed it back to 2.33, which would have been on it at the time I bought it, and it's working fine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭foreman

Can anyone help me out.

Has anyone ever purchased from dashcams.ie or dashcamsireland. Com

Halfords only stock nextbase
    Arthur these anygood

@foreman - Halford's don't only stock Nextbase, have you any model in mind. Of cam that is. :)

P.s. No experience of those sites.

I've bought most of mine from Amazon (mini 0801, G1W, DDPai M6+), and one from Gearbest (mini 0806)

I'd say Amazon would be your best bet, or else Halfords, but variety would be limited there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Falcon L wrote: »

Looks great, nice and discreet, lack of GPS might be a put off for some,

remote snap button is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Is there any point in buying something like this...

http://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/255021

I already have a cheepy but the video is so bad that I cannot read a reg plate unless I'm very close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I already have a cheepy but the video is so bad that I cannot read a reg plate unless I'm very close.

I do'nt think it is worth your time. This link has got very good reports on here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G1W-2-7-1080p-HD-In-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Dash-Cam-Recorder-120-Night-Vision-/272241791407?hash=item3f62e011af:g:ytMAAOSw4GVYUmBh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

People get hung up on the ability to read a number plate, reality is that when you do need it, its going to be raining, your wipers will freeze and your'll have headlight glare in your lens. So you get nothing. Leave the audio recording on, say the reg out loud along with any other information that would be helpful. Chances are if you have an accident, the other car is going to stop, if they don't, you'll have video plus the reg on the audio track :)

This camera cost me about €15 2 years ago, I just bought it for sh1ts & giggles, and it was surprisingly good.

It would tell the Gardai/Insurance company the exact same story my €100 DDPai M6+ would tell them!!, or my €100 mini 0806 before that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ION08 wrote: »
    I have hard wired it into and empty fuse socket but I always have to manually switch it on/off.

Just because the fuse socket was empty does not mean it get's triggered by turning the car on/off.
    I'd say that socket is an "always on", try another socket...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

Patww79 wrote: »
    The 412GW looks to have dropped in price a fair bit from what I remember (now €139 in Halfords). Anyone know if Nextbase are replacing it with a new model? The 512G is still €190 but as far as I ever heard that's just a 412GW with a light filter stuck on it.

I am tempted by that too. Was trying to find data on reliability but everything points to same issue with battery as 402G.

BAF17D67-417A-4947-911A-B8473750EB8F_zpspl1fy3tp.jpg

3CE77873-6061-4C26-B2A6-083590C6548F_zpstmovwsny.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nissan Almera 2006. 182,000kms. Looking for close to €1500 for it, but open to offers. Needs rear brakes done. Only replaced the fronts early last month.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/almera/2006-nissan-almera/12302632?touch_off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote: »

Caught my eye a couple of weeks back and looks like a nice tidy little cam but I'd be going to Newry to get it for £59.99 or you can get 2 of them for £99.99.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6553393

reviews don't look great!

2 from the same bloke in Rochdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Riva10 wrote: »

Just received one I bought after seeing this recommendation. Its FAKE...records in avi.

Ebay seller is Einstatech. Complete rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

deadlast wrote: »
    ...records in avi.

So exactly as seller said:
    [...] AVI video compression [...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Does anyone know where I'd pick up a suction mount for a mini 0806 handy?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Does anyone have the same problem as me with their ddpai, when I tighten the screw on the mount the dashcam is secured fine but after a small while it seems to become loose and the dashcam can move from side to side?

h3000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd pick up a suction mount for a mini 0806 handy?

the mini 0806 never came with a suction mount though!

Your best bet would be to find a generic suction mount that would somehow allow you to permanently attach the mini 0806 base/gps antenna to,

I assume your looking to use the mini 0806 in more than 1 car? would buying an additional power supply & gps/base mount be feasible?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement