Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the same problem as me with their ddpai, when I tighten the screw on the mount the dashcam is secured fine but after a small while it seems to become loose and the dashcam can move from side to side?

mine always seems to have a little bit of movement in it, no matter how tight the little screw is, doesn't really bother me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

the mini 0806 never came with a suction mount though!

Your best bet would be to find a generic suction mount that would somehow allow you to permanently attach the mini 0806 base/gps antenna to,

I assume your looking to use the mini 0806 in more than 1 car? would buying an additional power supply & gps/base mount be feasible?

I'm heading abroad in two weeks time and was going to bring my 0806 with for for the hire car. I taught I seen one of the suction mounts before but could have imagined that. I might just try to pick up a cheaper cam.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I might just try to pick up a cheaper cam.

Thats what I have, I use rental cars a lot with work,

I got a G1W from Amazon about a year ago, and it works flawlessly. I use it all the time as my 'travel' dash cam, so I don't have to upset my own car's dash cam

the mini 0806 design means it doesn't take too kindly to being removed/installed from its mount multiple times (from what i've read anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Thats what I have, I use rental cars a lot with work,

I got a G1W from Amazon about a year ago, and it works flawlessly. I use it all the time as my 'travel' dash cam, so I don't have to upset my own car's dash cam

the mini 0806 design means it doesn't take too kindly to being removed/installed from its mount multiple times (from what i've read anyway)
    I've been looking at the G1W alright. I've heard of a few fakes and was a bit worried about ending up with one of those.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

I've been looking at the G1W alright. I've heard of a few fakes and was a bit worried about ending up with one of those.

The one I got isn't an original (E-Prance), but its a DoLotu, and as I said, it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Where's the best place to buy a xiaomi yi international dashcam? And are there fakes to beware of?
    Will I get stung for customs from Aliexpress? I usually only buy stuff under €25 off it, never had any problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I bought a nextbase 412GW to replace my 0801.

But, the footage is poor in MOV format (raw data) using both the nextbase file viewer and windows movie maker. My 0801 was far better. I only got good footage when I converted it to MP4 1080p via movie maker.

I had it set to 1080p 60hz and the raw footage looks like I am missing frames. I am going to try 1440p setting but has anyone got tips for this camera for settings and better windows software for dealing with the raw data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

She finally has to go :(

It's a shame that something like that is worth nearly zilch and may get binned. She's still a seriously good car and it wouldn't take much to have her back to former glory. I'm putting her up hoping she will suit someone.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/1998-bmw-523i/12357940

409829.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

grogi wrote: »
    How much current does it draw in parking mode?

I'll answer myself - 400 mA. Depends how the 12V -> 5V converter is done - it might draw from 2W to 5W from the car battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Friend is selling his car....asked me to post for him.....happy viewing

http://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/s-max/2008-ford-s-max-titanium-automatic-fsh/12379053

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Any recommendations for a cam for the rear window?

Something small along the lines of a blackvue DRG400 - don't link those massive suction cups. doesn't need GPS, etc, but needs to be full HD and reliable

Budget €50 - €60 tops

Any recommendations for a cam for the rear window?

Something small along the lines of a blackvue DRG400 - don't link those massive suction cups. doesn't need GPS, etc, but needs to be full HD and reliable

Budget €50 - €60 tops

a mini would be your best bet but they are hard to find nowadays!

I have a mini 0801 in my rear window, it's discreet, and still working 2.5 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Gave back my DDPai M6 because of blurry picture.Been doing a lot of research and the consensus among the top reviewers for value for money is the Viofo A119 which I have bought recently from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacitor-Novatek-Dashboard-Dashcam-Recording/dp/B01IM2EPJO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488120643&sr=8-3&keywords=viofo+a119
    I made a sample clip here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqnO1tkxmDk

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I got one of these a few weeks ago and its pretty damn good...

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/blackvue-dr450-1ch-dash-cam

No GPS but it comes with the software on the SD card to set the time and date stamp and various other settings (quality and FPS etc). Can record in full HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Jo3rscdrc

Not my video but just an example of the quality.

You can probably beat that price if you look around on ebay etc but not by much when I was looking so I just decided to go with Halfords as they would get it in quicker once I ordered it. Not in store apparently until you do.

Im bloody happy with it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Sandy67

Hi Everybody,

Here for sale is my 2007 Bmw 520d M Sport LCI M47. Only 75,500 miles. 2 owners from new. Open to offers.

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/bmw/5-series/2007-bmw-520d-m-sport-automatic-low-mileage-lci-facelift-model-pristine-condition-high-spec-m47-163bhp-engine/12406871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Update - car is sold

Selling my 2003 E200 Kompressor. Priced it to sell quickly with a few extras. Some Tax and NCT. Had it 2 years. Getting an EV, so time to go.

LINKY.

MDU4NTY2NmZhOTIzNzNmMWY2NTcyYmRhNjA0ZjEyNmUu_EFmHnrSbyGqSBzQUSfzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDE5MjUzMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok so fitted my DDPai finally yesterday.
    Any idea how to set the time and date?

Does anyone know where I'd pick up a suction mount for a mini 0806 handy?

I bought a slim profile one on eBay for €2ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Trying to shift these 4 rims and tyres (2 excellent, 1 worn and 1 irreparable):

http://www.adverts.ie/12228161

4027165935.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kceire wrote: »
    Ok so fitted my DDPai finally yesterday.
    Any idea how to set the time and date?

Set up the app and set from there.
    Phone links up using WiFi.

Set up the app and set from there.
    Phone links up using WiFi.

Yeah have all that sorted.
    But I can't see anywhere in the app to adjust the date/time other than the format hh/mm/yy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

Just got myself a Toguard 170 wifi dash cam, about €80 all in from Germany,

Love the way you can logon to it's wifi and view in real time or save to your phone or table,

Similar to the link below, but mine came from Germany not a Uk seller..
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOGUARD-FHD-1080P-WiFi-Stealth-Car-Dash-Cam-2-45-IPS-LCD-Camera-DVR-SONY-IMX322-/182355679221?hash=item2a753ed7f5:g:~twAAOSwal5YHGfI

YouTube video test below in my Signature, some browsers giving full 1080p, others various between 720p & 1080p views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kceire wrote: »
    Yeah have all that sorted.
    But I can't see anywhere in the app to adjust the date/time other than the format hh/mm/yy etc

Do an update and link up and log in.

Should set up easy.

Do an update and link up and log in.

Should set up easy.

I'll try that as it did say something about an update today but I ignored it.

Thanks. I'll update tomorrow.

robbiew wrote: »
    Just got myself a Toguard 170 wifi dash cam, about €80 all in from Germany,

Love the way you can logon to it's wifi and view in real time or save to your phone or table,

Similar to the link below, but mine came from Germany not a Uk seller..
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOGUARD-FHD-1080P-WiFi-Stealth-Car-Dash-Cam-2-45-IPS-LCD-Camera-DVR-SONY-IMX322-/182355679221?hash=item2a753ed7f5:g:~twAAOSwal5YHGfI

YouTube video test below in my Signature, some browsers giving full 1080p, others various between 720p & 1080p views

How does this work exactly? How can you view the dashcam remotely while the car is driving if it can't be connected to wifi all the time? I guess if it had a slot for a sim card and you had a data plan, it could work..

I posted this thread before as my ideal dash cam: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057270716

Still haven't seen one yet though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

cormie wrote: »
    How does this work exactly? How can you view the dashcam remotely while the car is driving if it can't be connected to wifi all the time? I guess if it had a slot for a sim card and you had a data plan, it could work..

I posted this thread before as my ideal dash cam: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057270716

Still haven't seen one yet though :o

Hi cormie, basically the camera has it's own wifi signal that will only work within the cars immediate proximity, so while the cam is working you can logon via wifi and view the current clip real-time, well probably a second time delay, but it will also let you save previous clips to your phone or tablet, mind you it can be a bit slow if the clip size are like mine @5 mins each and around 490mb but it's 1080FHD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Have two cars up for sale on adverts...

1: My Peugeot 407 2005 2.0 Sport...had this car for 20 months time to move on...NCT till 09/17

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/407/2005-peugeot-407-2-0-sport/12404337

also

2: Rover 75 2.5 V6 with LPG converstation....Bought this as project car ( she runs very well.) Just needs some TLC...Comes with a host of parts...

http://www.adverts.ie/car/rover/75/2005-rover-75/12404518

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, ah, so just a way to communicate with it when it's in range, so nothing like the gadget I described in the post above unfortunately. The garmin you linked to I think is the same.

Would be great if there was something, even with a sim car slot, where you could get a live stream of what the cam sees via 4g or something:

• Car Dash Cam - 1080p minimum/wide angle lens/continuous looped recording/g-sensor/emergency clip save button/starts recording when the engine starts with no need for human interaction
    • GPS Tracker - Allows vehicle to be tracked 24/7 with a detailed history log accessible remotely and can even send a photo or small video feed.
    • Sat Nav/Google Maps - Uses Google's intelligent live traffic knowledge with on the fly-in navigation slower/faster touch alternative route suggestions with full "offline" maps to reduce data usage.
    • Additional Features - Low voltage protection (stops device draining car battery and will always leave enough to start engine), Low consumption mode (allows GPS tracker to still communicate and uses "parking mode" feature for dash cam, recording shocks and motion sensor).
    • Optional Accessories - Rear View Mirror Cradle - Replaces your windscreen rear-view mirror and allows a plug and play slot in connection for inconspicuous mounting while taking up minimal windscreen real estate.

This is my idea of the complete car gadget. The question is, does anything like this exist? It would be sweet to have all this in one in a high quality device that will just work. A smart phone can probably do a lot of it, but it wouldn't have the ignition on feature a regular dash cam would have or the low voltage protection.

If anyone knows of such a device, please share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If anyone knows of such a device, please share!

Raspberry Pi would be a suitable candidate. But you couldn't have it all in one self enclosed unit, wouldn't make sense from a functionality perspective. Enterprise level systems would offer close to this functionality, the likes of the Cleartone system in place in Gardai cars. US Police systems are pretty advanced and again, you would have most of this functionality available but at serious cost.

Long story short, you could build it with a Raspberry Pi or two for very little money all in. In terms of hardware:

2 x Raspberry Pi [I'd use one exclusively for the camera system]
    2 x Camera
    1 x Touch Screen
    1 x Hard Drive
    1 x GPS Module
    1 x 4G Dongle

You'd probably build it for far less than €200.

Thanks a lot for that, can I ask why you're suggesting two cameras?

How much would you charge to build it for me? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Looking to get rid of a brand new mk1 ford focus exhaust.
    http://www.adverts.ie/11185513

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

My car for sale!

Car in great shape (getting a company car soon), front & back brakes done, low tax, 4 nearly new Firestone tyres, all the bells & whistles, cleaned and maintained using Detailing Shed products. NCT to end June 2018 and tax to end of May this year.

I'll look after a fellow Boardsie on price if anyone interested!! smile.png

Thanks!

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2008-bmw-318d-se-full-leather/12451129

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Any suggestions on something small, neat, black, and good quality night picture for a rear window? It'll be on a hatch.
    The front camera I have is a Street Guardian.

I also need recommendations for a USB hub for a car to handle both cameras and at least one extra port for phone.

Thanks a lot for that, can I ask why you're suggesting two cameras?

How much would you charge to build it for me? :pac:

I figure you may aswell have two if you are going to the expense of such a system. In your case, you could have one out the front and maybe tap the camera for the reverse so you have a rearward recording at all times as well. Or you could have one in the cab looking out to cover the driver etc.

I remember we talked about this in person a while back and its always simmered in my mind alright. Its definitely possible but making it user friendly, I'm not so sure. I'll tinker some weekend on it and get back to you. I have a spare Pi in the garage and I'd be half interested myself what can be done with it, it was last used as an ANPR system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont know if its been asked already but a lot of the Euro King shops have €20 dash cams at the minute, has anyone tried them?

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont know if its been asked already but a lot of the Euro King shops have €20 dash cams at the minute, has anyone tried them?

No but I bet you'll find the same cameras online for less than a tenner.

Expect the quality to be at a similar level to the price you pay.

• Advertisement

Expect the quality to be at a similar level to the price you pay.

Its like a set of tyres, you can buy a cheap set, but the time you actually might need them, they'll let you down. A dashcam that is well cared for should have a life time of years and a decent one can be got for €50. The footage could save you x1000 of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Thargor wrote: »
    One thing I know about them: the screen can't be set to turn off after a while. It stays on all the time. Personally, I hate that.

Falcon L wrote: »
    One thing I know about them: the screen can't be set to turn off after a while. It stays on all the time. Personally, I hate that.

I recall reading somewhere that this could land you in hot water if a Garda was being very pedantic. There is legislation prohibiting the use of a screen that would distract the driver (Formally to stop someone watching TV while driving) so a DVR with a constant screen would fall into this segment.

I never understood how anyone could drive with a screen on, or worse, the white LEDs blinking out the windscreen. I go out of my way to ensure that nearly the entire unit is hidden behind my rear view mirror so I can't see it nor can it distract me.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I figure you may aswell have two if you are going to the expense of such a system. In your case, you could...

Yeah having it user friendly is a thing alright, also what about the power supply and it being able to record in parking mode etc?
    I go out of my way to ensure that nearly the entire unit is hidden behind my rear view mirror so I can't see it nor can it distract me.

Some times one of the reversing cams in my van stays on after I turn the engine back on, not sure what triggers it, maybe something in the way I turn the van off or something, but I agree, even though it's interesting to see behind the van while driving, it's pretty distracting. The screen of the mini 08XX cams are too small to distract me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Hi guys I'm on the Clare/Limerick border and looking to buy a half decent front facing dash cam and get it hard wired to the car. Budget of approx 140-160e. Would need to be easily transferable if I changed the car. Any recommendations/advice be greatly appreciated. Tia

Hi guys I'm on the Clare/Limerick border and looking to buy a half decent front facing dash cam and get it hard wired to the car. Budget of approx 140-160e. Would need to be easily transferable if I changed the car. Any recommendations/advice be greatly appreciated. Tia

DDPai M6+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Falcon L wrote: »
    [...] It stays on all the time. [...]
    [...] There is legislation prohibiting the use of a screen that would distract the driver (Formally to stop someone watching TV while driving) so a DVR with a constant screen would fall into this segment.

[...]

Small piece of tape would easily sort that. :cool:

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I recall reading somewhere that this could land you in hot water if a Garda was being very pedantic. There is legislation prohibiting the use of a screen that would distract the driver .

Would not a GPS fall into the same category

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Our 1.6L Petrol Avensis, 67,000miles, service history, NCT, Tax, PWO, well maintained...

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/avensis/2007-toyota-avensis/12493792

OTQ3Mjk5YjVjM2M3M2I1OWI1OWIwYjk2MjEyNzQ5MGZIIk7AwVGxe5UdPkIrooInaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZmMzYjIwMmZhN2JlYTk0NDJjM2NlMTUxZjJmZDIwMTk5Y2E4MDliNjNmMzExMTE1MzE4NjU0MWM0OGVlOWIxZC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ZTJkMGExOWRhYzc2Y2RhNzAyYjVjNjQ3NDkxMjNhOGGzPhdYO35uH6a50RwIOvBkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDYzMTI3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

My mother is selling the sister's mini.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mini-cooper/14925227

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement